An audience with Brian Eno - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:35 AM
An audience with Brian Eno

On gospel, Abba and the death of the record: an audience with Brian Eno | Interview | Music | The Observer

Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Shame that this thread won't get the traffic it deserves. But I think Eno is such an interesting guy, and for more than just the music he's made.

I really like what he says here (from the Lanois "Here Is What Is" film). I play it (the soundtrack album) regularly in my car. It's best to just listen to the clip and not be distracted by the visuals in this video.

He is very right. So many people (self included) do not always pursue certain creative ideas (whether signing up for the school play, putting a business idea in motion, etc.) for the reasons he says here. Life is too short to doubt oneself.

YouTube - Daniel Lanois & Brian Eno Here Is What Is

Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:35 PM
I especially like this part of the article that you posted:

On the intensity of Ideas

"If you grow up in a very strong religion like Catholicism you certainly cultivate in yourself a certain taste for the intensity of ideas. You expect to be engaged with ideas strongly whether you are for or against them. If you are part of a religion that very strongly insists that you believe then to decide not to do that is quite a big hurdle to jump over. You never forget the thought process you went through. It becomes part of your whole intellectual picture."

I think that he (and Lanois) have done so much for U2's music. Here is a pretty obvious example I think. Listen to this track from his Another Green World album. I don't think there is any doubt that he loaned this tune to U2 during the making of The Joshua Tree, and it became "With or Without You". It matches the bass line and tempo almost perfectly, and you can practically hear the With or Without You lyrics right on top.

YouTube - Brian Eno - The Big Ship
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Yeah agreed. Word.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:35 PM
I am fascinated by the talents of Brian Eno. I've been playing his Here Come the Warm Jets on repeat for the past couple weeks. Amazing talent.