Amy Winehouse DEAD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Far, far superior! :rolleyes:

Everything after the second Foo Fighters album has been pretty fucking generic. While the guy was certainly too talented to simply be a drummer behind someone's else's songs, he probably should have been at a George Harrison level, a couple of his own cuts per (hypothetical) future Nirvana album.

Kurt isn't the be-all, end-all of alternative music, but he was a gifted writer and melodicist, and his vocal delivery is a lot more memorable than Grohl's.

That sums it up rather well....Cobain certainly wasn't as great as his death elevated him to in the minds of many (John Lennon of his generation....please), but he was definitely talented, and moreso than Grohl by a fair margin.

I would argue that both the debut and Strange Days are genuinely great albums. The debut may be among my top ten favorite albums ever. It is at once dirty and soulful, and even "Alabama Song" contributes to the rollicking, irreverent attitude of the whole thing. On top of that, "Break on Through" and "Crystal Ship" each accomplish in two minutes what a lot of bands try to do in their whole careers. The albums after Strange Days are definitely spotty at best, but those first two are deserving of more credit around here, I think.

The Doors are one of my favorites, listened to them a lot as a teenager, surprised there's such a significant negative view of them nowadays. By no means on the level of some of the greatest bands of all time, but certainly made a significant mark musically, and Morrison made a huge impact culturally for a variety of reasons, some good, some not so much.

And to compare Winehouse to Britney Spears shows you have little knowledge about what constitutes real talent and songwriting
I never compared Winehouse to Britney, I said that saying Back to Black is better than any Doors album is

about the same as saying Britney Spears' debut is better than any album from Billie Holiday

and I stand by that, no matter how much it shows my lack of knowledge on talent and songwriting and world politics

Winehouse was talented, though less talented than Morrison
perhaps it's better to state that The Doors were more talented than the Winehouse / Ronson combo

I doubt very much anything from Back to Black will really stand the test of time
that doesn't mean it's therefore a poor album
just that it's not one of the 1000+ best albums ever

btw I also don't think Winehouse / Ronson had the same effect on music as Nirvana did

you cant really compare two albums, you may as well start comparing every album in the world.

two entirely different artists, with different numbers in the fan base.

thats how it should be........not a contest of better album.

for each individual artist, you could sure as hell say one of their albums sounded better than than the other, etc.

Ive just repeated my ass.

LOL.

Not just in the similarities ie inspiring a whole new set of similar artists

With Winehouse, not really. She may have since, by turning people we are yet to hear onto or back to that style of music, but if you're talking about a rush of similar sounding artists who came in her wake, that's not the influence of her on those artists, it's just the influence of her success on other record companies decision making.

I never compared Winehouse to Britney, I said that saying Back to Black is better than any Doors album is

about the same as saying Britney Spears' debut is better than any album from Billie Holiday

and I stand by that, no matter how much it shows my lack of knowledge on talent and songwriting and world politics

:crack: serenity now

2 albums and shes a legend? Her music will be forgotten in 5 years time.

Yup!
Like I said, I feel for the family but as far as her being an icon in the music world ...LMAO! Maybe in the world of druggies but not a music icon, thats for sure.

I can't decided if you're just trying to elicit a response or if you genuinely believe the stuff you post. I'm leaning toward the former

Nah not at all. I genuinely believe her music will be forgotten in a relatively short time. The main reason she hit the headlines during the past few years was not for music reasons. It was because she was shambolic and an embarresment whenever she performed.

She won't be forgotten in 5 years' time, but only because she's dead.

Had she lived, it would be more likely she'd fade into obscurity (assuming she never put out another album).

I know this will take some heat but as far as her being a great music talent.....meh.
Many are placing her in the 27 Club - re: Jim Morrison, Hendrix.
icon30.gif

Definately not in that league by far.

Local journalist made comparisons with Cobain (another vastly overhyped case and still the best example of death is a career move in rock). Another one was throwing the "icon" word around.

Exactly, she's not up there in the 27 Club talent/influence.

Yeah, I'm sure Kurt killed himself so he could sell more records.

You know, he guy actually had plans for the future of his music; it's been said many times that he was a big fan of R.E.M.'s Automatic For The People and was planning to do something in that vein. And of course the Unplugged set showed that he was capable of more than just the hard alt. rock the band had become known for.

Local journalist made comparisons with Cobain (another vastly overhyped case and still the best example of death is a career move in rock). Another one was throwing the "icon" word around.

Exactly, she's not up there in the 27 Club talent/influence.

I'm curious as to how many of the musicians in the '27 club' you actually listen to and know beyond the popular tunes

So some people on this forum actually rate Whineyhouse as musically influential and talented as Jimi Hendrix. :doh:

You've got to be the most unfunny, unclever, attention whoring fanboy on the site.

I'm curious as to why no one mentions Brian Jones amid all this "27 Club" business. He was as much an influence in structuring the classic Stones sound as Mick or Keith, and therefore deserves to be mentioned alongside Morrison and Cobain, I think.

If you were to merge those three threads, the waterfalls in Australia might start flowing upward again. Think of how many mice Friggin Cobbler had to sacrifice to his cat to set it straight the first time around

Back
Top Bottom