Am I wrong In saying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're an ideas man! I think you proved that with Fuck Mountain.

Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot. Your wife is dead.

hugelaugh.gif

Best TV moment ever

Back on topic, folks. I'm not against a little bit of fun and jokes, but this thread is running the risk of being totally derailed.

I only have one Beastie Boys album (Licensed to Ill, surprise, surprise). I like it, I should really check out their other stuff more. Besides that album, I'm pretty much only familiar with the singles.

I'm a huge Beastie Boys fan. As the years have gone by, I feel they have only gotten better.
NWA were only around a small period of time and the last time they pretty much did anything was 1991. I'm pretty sure that even Ice Cube and Dr. Dre would both a agree that the Beasties are way better than NWA. The Beasties have always been together, whereas Cube left NWA after their first album and it really wasn't the same after he left. In NWA, Dre was the admitted "studio gangsta", Eazy E was the crazy goofball and Ice Cube was the badass. Once Cube left, NWA kind of lost their edge. Meanwhile, The Beasties have stayed together and matured as artists and individuals since their License to Ill days. They have put out many albums that have had their own distinct sound. As the years progressed, The Beasties decided to pick up instruments for shits and giggles and start playing along to their raps. Did NWA ever even see an instrument in their studio? And, even though The Beasties are white, they always got props from black rappers for having the legit goods.

I do find it kind of humorous that someone would say an artist sucks when they've barely listened to that artist's body of work. The Boys have been on the scene since roughly 1986. They have stayed together and have put out music that actually has a shelf life. Do you think that 20 years from now, folks are gonna sit around and listen to Just Don't Bite It? No way.

Now, back-in-the-day, I thought NWA were the shit. For about 3 years, they were probably one of the most talked about "gangsta" rap groups. But that was 17 years ago. The party has been long over and they only made 2 and a half albums in their time together.

So comparing The Beasties to NWA is like comparing coconuts to walnuts. There is no comparison.

For those unfamiliar with the Beasties albums, I'd suggest the following:

Paul's Boutique
Hello Nasty
Check Your Head
To the 5 Boroughs
Ill Communication

Dave, I've been working on a hip-hop playlist in case we ever have a DI mini-game for it, and, no shit, High Plains Drifter is on it. That song segues awesomely out of It's Tricky by Run-DMC.

I was going to do an all-hip hop list for DI 5 but I don't have the time this round to finish it and do all the necessaries for submission.

It would have been blown out of the water in the competition, which is why I'm 100% with you when I say we need a DI-hip hop game, STAT.

Since Phanan has been leading the direction of the Desert Island syndicate, I'll have to OK it with him, but yeah, I don't mind. The hip-hop thing was suggested a while ago; it's about time we get it going.

I was going to do an all-hip hop list for DI 5 but I don't have the time this round to finish it and do all the necessaries for submission.

It would have been blown out of the water in the competition, which is why I'm 100% with you when I say we need a DI-hip hop game, STAT.

You would've had my vote. Shee-it.

Back on topic, folks. I'm not against a little bit of fun and jokes, but this thread is running the risk of being totally derailed.

I only have one Beastie Boys album (Licensed to Ill, surprise, surprise). I like it, I should really check out their other stuff more. Besides that album, I'm pretty much only familiar with the singles.

Who is against a little bit of fun and jokes?

I'm not a big fan, but, recognize their impact on the genre and thus they have my respect.

I'm not a big rap fan, but I'm really pleased they put out a one-disc collection of hits a couple years ago. That's all I need - all the Beastie Boys songs I need on one disc.

I think Intergalactic is my favorite.

Justin: Please learn a bit about the history of hip hop before posting a thread like this. The Beasties are legends. You might not like them (and that's cool), but the way you backed up your opinion was completely incorrect.

What do you think of Rap today, was Nas right in his assumption that it's dead?

He asked?

Dalton doesn't ask questions. He takes what's his.

Dalton, do you respect all artists and their music? Or do you select what you like?

How about you stop acting like a child and answer it in a sensible manner.

I forgot Uber. Yes The Beastie Boys changed music and are a great band but I just don't feel it. I guess it's growing up in the mid 80's and being exposed to gansta rap that made up my mind. Now Some here say I am a douche and how they are great and I sound ridiculous, but you act the same way when boy band groups and Miley Cyrus hit the scene and act like douches.They are different genres. You still have to respect that. And yes I will change my position on respect for Beastie Boys, but I will not like their music.

Back
Top Bottom