All things Mark Kozelek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
First of all, there needs to be more talk about Benji, which might be my favourite album of this year, at least so far.

Also I just listened to Ghosts of the Great Highway, and it's really very good. Loved tracks like Carry Me Ohio, Last Tide, Gentle Moon and in particular Duk Koo Kim, what a towering achievement that track is.

Apparently he had a band called Red House Painters.

Also a place for the ongoing Kozelek-War on Drugs beef. Liam and I have been trying to think of a catchy name/hashtag for it.

Red House Painters were every bit as good as Sun Kil Moon, just a little darker and less accessible. Down Colorful Hill and Red House Painters II are classics.

As far as Sun Kil Moon goes, if you really dig Ghosts of the Great Highway and Benji, please listen to April. It's one of 2008's best.

I think April is still my favorite album of his.

Benji is a very awesome close second.

"Carry Me Ohio" is a song that I can hardly listen to, because I almost feel like I can't breath while it's on. It's very good, but incredibly emotional.

I couldn't care less about the "beef".

the 1st song on benji is easily one of the worst album openers i've ever heard (i didn't make it past that song when i tried to listen to it). after 3 minutes it's like oh just fucking go already, stop telling me you're going to ohio, just fucking leave already. and then by the time it's over, you're hoping his plane will crash while he's on his way.

red house painters was his band? they were mediocre.

It's interesting reading the p4k review for Among the Leaves, which knocks both it and its predecessor for being a bit boring musically, when Benji is essentially the same yet got a 9.2 and BNM.

There are definitely plenty of times on Benji I could be bored by the music - would there be less demand for any album ever of just instrumentals? - but the lyrics really keep me captivated the whole way.

I think it's hilarious that Benji is getting so much praise. It's exactly the same as all of his other albums, except maybe the lyrics are a little more personal.

I think in the past, there's always been a certain sense of detachment between the person and the songwriter. There's always a character in the songs, even if the character strongly resembles the person. With Benji, that character is basically non-existent - it is literally just Kozalek putting his diary entries on the page. It's uncomfortable for some, enthralling for others.

I think April is still my favorite album of his.

This was his first album that I bought and heard. Still like it a great deal. The only trouble with his music is that you really need to be in the right mood to listen to it, at least for me.

I swear there was one album I liked, but looking through the discography there is no cover that even vaguely resembles the cover I thought I was looking for.

I agree with him that people are offended too easily in the online environment. I also find the type of assholish media-bating he is engaging in to be tiring. I also like Ghosts of the Great Highway and should give a listen to April.

Back
Top Bottom