All things Mark Kozelek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I'm not mistaken, this thing is out in two days. Going into with tempered expectations, but it comes at the current height of my Kozelek fandom so good timing.

Here is how many words are on the new album.

CF9nBl_UMAA28SP.jpg

Also, it's leaked.

I started listening to Universal Themes until I noticed that it's got to be at least 70 minutes long and I need to be up in the morning. Something to look forward to tomorrow, definitely. It sounded great.

I think it's fucking amazing.

I also think it's really impenetrable; there's a lot going on in these songs, and it's much harder to keep up with the tangents Kozelek goes down because of the length of these songs. But a song like "Ali/Spinks 2" makes far more sense within the context of the album than it did individually. There's also more variation on it than on the previous few albums - "With A Sort Of Grace I Walked To The Bathroom To Cry" had a power to it that I only really saw seeing SKM live, through the way that song is arranged and belted out.

There's some moments of real humour on it, as betrayed by the song titles, but there's also some genuine moments of absolute beauty. One of the benefits of Kozelek's current songwriting style is that he can change course pretty quickly, which means that things can go from the absurd to the sincere with a jolt. I think it works really well.

This might actually be better than Benji. I don't know if I can definitively say that yet, but it has caught me by surprise.

Or Benji's slightly retarded friend who continuously knocks on the door asking if she can take a bath with Mark, not knowing that's socially fucking weird?

Considering you're both heathens I don't suppose either of you bought the CD and can tell me if it has a booklet. Out today but of course no fucking shop in the country has it.

I went to the Caldo Verde website, and it says the album comes with the poster I linked to on post #124.

I actually think this album is far more uplifting than Benji, if musically weirder - all of the songs deal with anxieties and weirdness and acting in movies and illness, but people aren't dying every third line, and there's a sense of hope in a lot of these songs.

Cry Me A River Williamsburg Sleeve Tattoo Blues is a hoot.

Alright I just bought it from WOW CD. Hopefully it'll be the same thing. Would also love to get that 2LP blue Benji vinyl... all over $100 though.

That's what happens when the class clown is expected to keep being wacky and outrageous. Eventually they keep pushing and go too far. The whole thing is getting pretty desperate and ridiculous.

The guy is still a musical genius. But as with Kanye, the whole damn thing feels like it has an asterisk next to it.

I'm not going to click on it. I saw it and my gut dropped. He seems hell-bent on making even his most rusted-on fans hate him.

I need the secret key to separating art and the artist...

"And then he sings the song again". Fuck the dude.

And it's not like he only does this shit in his private life. He writes songs about it. And subjects his concert goers to it. So he is the one injecting that stuff into his art. Fuck it.

I've purchased a few of his albums in the past, but I won't be buying it anymore.

Kanye has not been this emptily crass in his public statements, at least not repeatedly.

I didn't say one was better or worse, just making a rough comparison of what it feels like to be a Sun Kil Moon fan vs a Kanye fan.

"And then he sings the song again". Fuck the dude.

And it's not like he only does this shit in his private life. He writes songs about it. And subjects his concert goers to it. So he is the one injecting that stuff into his art. Fuck it.

I've purchased a few of his albums in the past, but I won't be buying it anymore.

Even I was growing tired of the War on Drugs thing by the third or fourth mention of it live. Love him but he is making it harder and harder to like him.

I had no idea this guy had an album of Modest Mouse covers. I might have to check that out.

Because THAT GETS THE HITS SON

I am reasonably certain that because they scrapped their review and put a new one together hastily, that the reviewer hasn't actually heard it. The way they talk about "This Is My First Day..." makes it incredibly clear he doesn't understand the song.

Universal Themes is getting better every time I hear it. It's incredible.

Finally listened to it. I was enamoured with Benji immediately; not so much with this. (Perhaps, hopefully, it will grown on me, as it's quite clearly much less accessible.) I read along with the lyric sheet, which for the first time ever I'm not sure was a great idea, as it seems to take his worst lyrical excesses and double down them a lot, and rarely is the music beautiful or engaging enough to make it okay. The lyrics are pretty tedious a lot of the time. On Benji, those hyper-autobiographical lyrics combined with beautiful, subdued music, innocent, genuine vocals and a relatable overarching theme that ensured most, if not all, the songs resonated quite deeply. On most of the songs here (most, if not all, of which well overstay their welcome) you get all the autobiographical stuff without a wider lens, and it just doesn't inspire the astonishment in me that Benji did. We get it, you're in another country, you woke up, you had a conversation in broken English, you thought about your girlfriend, you watched a TV show, you think about boxing a lot, etc etc etc, and this minutiae is universal, but where's the universal themes?

Some of the good:

I don't recall The Possum sounding like this, but it's still a pretty great song, I think. I looooove the guitar during the slow, spoken-word verses in the latter half of the song, that works really well, as well as the drumming that comes in before the last minute. The flamenco guitar part at the end is completely superfluous and doesn't fit the mood of the previous eight minutes at all though. Birds of Flims is pretty nice. With a Sort of Grace I was expecting to be a lengthy, navel-gazing trip so I was pretty surprised to find that it's relatively heavy. The guitar is good and the quieter interludes are nice, although strange given how different the rest of the song is. Garden of Lavender is one of the better songs on the album. Just some nice guitar playing and it is one of the few songs that seems to have that Benji penchant of connecting something random (tending to his lavender) to the wider human experience (The Possum is the only other one). I still don't think it could match it with most, if not all, of Benji's tracks, but yeah. It's good. I recall not liking Ali/Spinks 2 at all when it came out but it too is one of the better tracks here. Like the guitar, huge fan of the lengthy instrumental part around 90 seconds. The closing track has some good moments too.

But there's a lot of ordinary stuff too. The one-two of Williamsburg Sleeve Tattoo Blues and Little Rascals is a real fucking slog. The former could honestly be someone doing a pisstake of Kozelek. Self-referential at the start but just not that funny and then he spends the next six minutes speak-singing about random events because "well what the fuck". But unlike Micheline or I Watched the Film it really feels like "well what the fuck" and the music doesn't inspire. Little Rascals is worse, following a "this happened then this happened" pattern most of the way through, interspersed by flamenco guitar breaks with distant vocals that just make the song drag even more.

tl;dr - parts of this album are quite good; other parts are not. It feels like he just writes a whole bunch of shit all the time and he decided he had enough to release an album.

I also can't help but feel that I've been soured a bit by the things he's said and done since Benji came out. And it's clearly on his mind, too, "all you do is bitch bitch bitch" on Williamsburgetc. I agree with much, if not all, of the Pitchfork review

Back
Top Bottom