Albums: Year By Year - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict
 
liamcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Posts: 16,695
Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
It baffles me how even the people who only have a cursory awareness of the music discussed in here still make that mistake. Unless you're totally doing crash car driver drive-by unrelated YouTube video posts, I would have thought it to be pretty obvious that with the exception of me (and I'll make exceptions to that for Saul Williams or Atmosphere) everyone here loves hip hop.
Noooooope. *raises hand*

Also Pyramid Song is just mediocre, because it's a Radiohead song not called Weird Fishes. Sorry.
__________________

__________________
liamcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #92
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,035
Local Time: 03:24 PM
I couldn't because of Aquemini, but yeah, Mezzanine is a fucking masterpiece.
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #93
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,035
Local Time: 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Noooooope. *raises hand*

Also Pyramid Song is just mediocre, because it's a Radiohead song not called Weird Fishes. Sorry.
You suck, but Weird Fishes is in the top 0.000001% of music ever released.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 02:24 PM
I don't make a habit of ragging on hip hop, but I too would be lying if I said it's really something I listen to much.
__________________
Kieran McConville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #95
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,035
Local Time: 03:24 PM
No one would have an issue with that. It's when people shit on it without knowing anything about it that shits me. There's a reason I never talk about metal.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
No one would have an issue with that. It's when people shit on it without knowing anything about it that shits me. There's a reason I never talk about metal.
Oh for sure; it's a bit like how I can't talk about jazz.
__________________
Kieran McConville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:25 AM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Shit, cat. That didn't stop Ryan Schreiber.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #98
War Child
 
RaisedByWolves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cedarwood Road
Posts: 880
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Oh for sure; it's a bit like how I can't talk about jazz.
Jazz
__________________
RaisedByWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #99
War Child
 
RaisedByWolves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cedarwood Road
Posts: 880
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
It's very good, arguably more consistent than Gaucho. And it has two legit classics in I.G.Y. and New Frontier, maybe a third. But I think I prefer Kamakiriad, which may be partially due to it having an actual Becker/Fagen song which means it's the only Steely Dan track of the 90s.
I never thought of it that way. I guess it would be the only Steely Dan track of the 90's.
__________________
RaisedByWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
It baffles me how even the people who only have a cursory awareness of the music discussed in here still make that mistake. Unless you're totally doing crash car driver drive-by unrelated YouTube video posts, I would have thought it to be pretty obvious that with the exception of me (and I'll make exceptions to that for Saul Williams or Atmosphere) everyone here loves hip hop.
I'm not exactly a gigantic hip-hop fan. I like some stuff from the 80's, possibly more due to nostalgia than anything else…and I love A Tribe Called Quest and always will…but since then….for me, meh. Everyone here loves Kanye so much and so I finally gave a few of his albums a shot and I maybe liked one song from each, so, that's where I'm at with that genre.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #101
Refugee
 
Joey788's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,953
Local Time: 11:24 PM
I'll give this a shot.

1988: U2 - Rattle and Hum
1989: Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
1990: Depeche Mode - Violator
1991: U2 - Achtung Baby
1992: Rage Against the Machine - Self-titled
1993: Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion
1994: Blur - Parklife
1995: Pulp - Different Class
1996: Beck - Odelay
1997: Radiohead - OK Computer
1998: Garbage - Version 2.0
1999: Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
2000: Radiohead - Kid A
2001: Muse - Origin of Symmetry
2002: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
2003: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
2004: Arcade Fire - Funeral
2005: Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
2006: TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
2007: Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
2008: Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster...
2009: St. Vincent - Actor
2010: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2011: Astronautalis - This Is Our Science
2012: Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
2013: David Bowie - The Next Day
2014: U2 - Songs of Innocence
2015 (so far): Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
__________________
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
nielsgov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 8,597
Local Time: 05:24 AM
Fun thread.

1994: dEUS - Worst Case Scenario
1995: Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory)
1996: dEUS - In a Bar Under the Sea
1997: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#∞
1998: Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
1999: Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
2000: Radiohead - Kid A
2001: The Strokes - Is This It
2002: Sigur Ros - ()
2003: Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People
2004: Arcade Fire - Funeral
2005: Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
2006: Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not
2007: Radiohead - In Rainbows
2008: Deerhunter - Microcastle
2009: The Antlers - Hospice
2010: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2011: Destroyer - Kaputt
2012: Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
2013: Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
2014: Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were

I almost forgot what my favorite of 2014 was. I had difficulty with a few years, especially some in the 90's. 1995 being the prime example. 1997 and 2005 were the most impressive.
__________________
nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #103
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,802
Local Time: 08:24 PM
I listened to In a Bar, Under the Sea today. Those first few dEUS records
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
nielsgov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 8,597
Local Time: 05:24 AM
They are. In A Bar especially. It sounds like a few guys having fun together and making some music in the process. Sometimes melancholic, sometimes crazy.
__________________
nielsgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #105
War Child
 
RaisedByWolves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cedarwood Road
Posts: 880
Local Time: 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
I'll give this a shot.

1988: U2 - Rattle and Hum
1989: Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
1990: Depeche Mode - Violator
1991: U2 - Achtung Baby
1992: Rage Against the Machine - Self-titled
1993: Depeche Mode - Songs of Faith and Devotion
1994: Blur - Parklife
1995: Pulp - Different Class
1996: Beck - Odelay
1997: Radiohead - OK Computer
1998: Garbage - Version 2.0
1999: Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
2000: Radiohead - Kid A
2001: Muse - Origin of Symmetry
2002: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
2003: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
2004: Arcade Fire - Funeral
2005: Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
2006: TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
2007: Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
2008: Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster...
2009: St. Vincent - Actor
2010: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
2011: Astronautalis - This Is Our Science
2012: Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man
2013: David Bowie - The Next Day
2014: U2 - Songs of Innocence
2015 (so far): Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
I your list Joey788.
__________________

__________________
RaisedByWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com