Albums that have aged exceptionally well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still don't get Pavement worship.

I will now burn my hipster card.

I actually prefer Silver Jews' American Water to any Pavement record I've heard, although I am quite fond of Crooked Rain.

I still don't get Pavement worship.

I will now burn my hipster card.

Hey Manny, shoot this piece of shit.

scarface-photo-xl-scarface-6228831.jpg

off the top of my head right now:

Some Girls by the Rolling Stones

exile on main street

i avoided it for years, or rather i avoided the stones in general. this was based on the occasionally flawed philosophy that just because it's hailed as a classic album anyone who claims to be a rock n roll fan must own, i'm not in the habit of buying records just because they're supposed to make my cd collection look more complete. not much annoys me more than people who own a copy of dark side of the moon, for instance, not because they enjoy listening to pink floyd, but because they think they should have it for its reputation. it sits, collecting dust, on the shelf for more an ornamental purpose than anything else. for a while i sort of felt EOMS fell into that category--something people buy because they erroneously believe they should have at least one stones album in order to consider themselves music fans. then i listened to it and realized everything i knew was wrong (EYKIW! i know. lame joke intended). it exists outside of a place and time that some of the other stones albums do--the early stuff that takes up where early beatles albums left off, or the way sticky fingers has "can't you hear me knocking" meandering off into solos. i do like that stuff quite a bit as well, but exile's combination of catchy pop melodies, blues-based rock n roll, and general awesomeness could have been released yesterday alongside any garage rock stuff and sound just as great.

exile on main street

i avoided it for years, or rather i avoided the stones in general. this was based on the occasionally flawed philosophy that just because it's hailed as a classic album anyone who claims to be a rock n roll fan must own, i'm not in the habit of buying records just because they're supposed to make my cd collection look more complete. not much annoys me more than people who own a copy of dark side of the moon, for instance, not because they enjoy listening to pink floyd, but because they think they should have it for its reputation. it sits, collecting dust, on the shelf for more an ornamental purpose than anything else. for a while i sort of felt EOMS fell into that category--something people buy because they erroneously believe they should have at least one stones album in order to consider themselves music fans. then i listened to it and realized everything i knew was wrong (EYKIW! i know. lame joke intended). it exists outside of a place and time that some of the other stones albums do--the early stuff that takes up where early beatles albums left off, or the way sticky fingers has "can't you hear me knocking" meandering off into solos. i do like that stuff quite a bit as well, but exile's combination of catchy pop melodies, blues-based rock n roll, and general awesomeness could have been released yesterday alongside any garage rock stuff and sound just as great.

:up: Intense, stripped down, no-frills rock n' roll never does go out of style.

I'm going to listen to Exile on Main Street again one of these days. Because I essentially bought it pretty much for the reasons you named. didn't like it at all on first listen, but that was years ago.

I was always waiting for Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed to come on sale, but they never have.

The Queen is Dead by the Smiths. Sounds as exciting today as it did back then.

Changed the face of British music forever.

I think that the absurd "politics" of The Holy Bible have helped it to age quite noticeably. Still a great record, though.

I think that the absurd "politics" of The Holy Bible have helped it to age quite noticeably. Still a great record, though.

I honestly don't even engage it on that level. I've always found their politics kind of vague and intro-to-marxism-lite anyway. It sounds airy and ambiguous, but I think it's the passion and sheer venmous bile on some tracks that keeps the asburdity, as you put it, from making it feel aged to me.

Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out
Soft Machine - Volume Two (or Volume One even)
Gong - Angel's Egg

i know Lost Souls by Doves was only released 9 years ago, but i think this album sounds like it could have been released yesterday.

The Queen is Dead by the Smiths. Sounds as exciting today as it did back then.

Changed the face of British music forever.

Agree. This and Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole and the Commotion have aged well.

Surprised nobody mentioned this one -

OK Computer

Still sounds like it's from some distant point in the future from another reality, a future we'll never see.

Back
Top Bottom