Albums that aren't good ... but sometimes ... they are...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Last night I was feeling anxious. As I am trying to have two alcohol-free nights per week (lol how pathetic is that) I could not make my anxiety subside with alcohol. So I thought I'll play pokemon and listen to some music. But I needed an album that fit my mood... I need something quite cacophonic, something that I could have on without paying attention to but still enveloped me, something that had a consistent mood. I was chatting with Liam at the time and he suggested a soundtrack for a video game called Hotline Miami. I played Sun Araw's Deep Cover, which was on it, and it was great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-s9LdQPXF4

It also reminded me of The Flaming Lips' more dissonant, distorted, dirge-y, repetitive work that has surfaced on Embryonic and The Terror. I then thought I'll listen to Embryonic, but I changed my mind and put The Terror on, as it was an album that I never liked, but I knew that it would probably fit my mood better as it really just takes Embryonic's most distorted/dirge/repetitive/dissonant moments and doubles down on them. And it worked really well, and I've been listening to it all morning.

Thing is, I still don't really like the album. It would be my least favourite Lips album. It's not fun to listen to, you can't understand a single word Wayne Coyne sings and the whole thing just runs together. BUT, it really really worked in the mood that I was/am in, because I just needed something on, something that I could get sort of lost in, and regular songs weren't going to work.

So my question is - what albums do you have/know of/listen to that, disconnected from them, you would not really say are good or enjoyable albums, but sometimes just really work for you in a certain mood? It was a fascinating realisation for me.

No. Shut up.

I guess Oasis albums would fit this description for me.

I got thoughts, but I couldn't think of any good examples. Maybe some 90s and 2000s ambientish and/or melancholy, moody electronic music, the kind of stuff where I wouldn't swear to its virtue and maybe am not paying massive attention, but could definitely soak in for a while.

Back
Top Bottom