Albums No One Else Owns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i hear you. i was actually just thinking about this last night, how most of my past posts make me want to slap myself upside the head for various reasons. though if it makes you feel any better, i can't think of any cringe-worthy posts of yours. :) though we're all our harshest critic, so yeah.
Ha, then I guess I've done a good job covering my tracks.

Achtung Baby is amazing, simply because it's one of, if not THE only album I've known for years that continues to get better and better each time I listen to it. I heard it for the first time when I was 11, and I had no idea what to think. It was so pessimistic and dark, I had no idea what being in a relationship was like or how damaging they could be at their worst. I had no idea guitars could be so explicitly ugly. It's still a very draining record, and I know precisely what to expect by now. But that doesn't stop me from nodding my head a couple extra times on those really poignant lines, which there seem to be more of each time.

It's probably gone from being my 8th favorite U2 record up to somewhere in my top 5, battling it out with Boy for the 4th spot at the moment.

Achtung Baby is a good record that could have been great with some better production, but everyone here has heard me talk about that ad nauseum.

Back on track.

l_471b421aa4b34a13a3e4ab8c7161553d.jpg

Achtung Baby is a good record that could have been great with some better production...

AB will definitely benefit from a (hopefully competent) remastering. I also think that its reputation, at least on these forums, is substantially bolstered by the ingenious tour that supported it. Every song on the album that was played live became more fierce and emotive, with some, like Until the End of the World and Ultraviolet, taking on what seemed like entirely new personae.

nielsgov said:
I had almost the same reaction as you when I first heard OK Computer. I really didn't understand why everyone was so crazy about it. I thought it was decent but nothing extraordinary. It just shows how opinions can change drastically.

Same. I hated OK Computer for about six months. I couldn't make it past Fitter Happier, I thought it was just a bunch of noise. Now, I love it.

AB will definitely benefit from a (hopefully competent) remastering. I also think that its reputation, at least on these forums, is substantially bolstered by the ingenious tour that supported it. Every song on the album that was played live became more fierce and emotive, with some, like Until the End of the World and Ultraviolet, taking on what seemed like entirely new personae.
If they recorded the album the way they played those songs live on ZooTV (basically every song improved greatly), it might be my favorite album ever.

that's what happens when you don't have any friends :lol:

Sweet Jesus, people are nuts. I don't think AB cracks my top five U2 albums. It's OK, but I'm going to reach for Pop or TUF or TJT or even October before that one.

Joe 90 - A Raccoon's Lunch (I got thru Amazon 5 years ago and now there are none available to buy). But a great album and completely underapprecaited. A band that sounds like a modern Crowded House.

The Bigger Lovers - How I Learned To Stop Worrying
A power-pop band greatly influenced by Big Star. LemonMelon should try them out because I know how big of fan LM is of Big Star.

The Auteurs - After Murder Park
A band that the lead singer Luke Haines predicted he would gather a fanbase after many years past. A band that stirs up the political and corrupt issues of our society.

Aztec Camera - Frestonia
A band that people may know from the 80's and early 90's. But Frestonia is pure classic in my book. Songs from the heart straight to you.

There's no denying AB is a fantastic album, and it certainly does have strong a production and mix. Nothing outrageous about preferring 3 or 4 others to it though.

Seriously laz. Wtf is wrong with people. Third best album over here. And like my fifth favorite album ever.

I think Boy is one of the most accomplished, well-realized and, most importantly, zealous debuts I've ever heard. It's a record they could never make anymore, and I don't just mean that they lack the ability to expend that sort of energy. They're just completely incapable of making four people in a room sound exciting the way Lillywhite helped them to on that album. Throw in some thoughtful, inspired musings from Bono and you've got a constantly replayable album.

Two extremely different albums in all terms from AB. Both pretty great. So no, nothing at all outrageous about someone preferring them. Unless you want to be an ass about it, in which case, yeah, those people are fucktards.

Not to take away from the actual songs and performances themselves, which are awesome, or the production, which is really creative (I don't give a fuck how muddy it sounds), but the context here is half of it. It comes from a place of real pain that is unique for the band, and the curveball nature compared to what they did before this can't be undervalued.

And it also led to this amazing SC moment:

YouTube - Rock n Roll doggie

Yeah. I don't dig too hard on boy. I try. But its just not my thing. I don't disrespect anyone who does like it to each their own.

I like BallBoy a lot. But to imply that the first recorded album by a group of teens is better than a deep, dark, towering work like Achtung Birdie...I just don't know what to say to that. It's ludicrous. And I don't have respect for that opinion. Sorry.

I like that we're talking about Achtung Baby in the Albums No One Else Owns thread. I think even Beav owned that one.

I think Boy is one of the most accomplished, well-realized and, most importantly, zealous debuts I've ever heard. It's a record they could never make anymore, and I don't just mean that they lack the ability to expend that sort of energy. They're just completely incapable of making four people in a room sound exciting the way Lillywhite helped them to on that album. Throw in some thoughtful, inspired musings from Bono and you've got a constantly replayable album.

I agree completely.

I feel that Boy (and perhaps October) have a more true, defined meaning than any of their other albums.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom