Albums No One Else Owns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Boy

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-U
I thought this might be fun: Name an album that you own that nobody else likely owns or has heard of, plus a factoid or two.

My first one is "Strangeworld," a 1989 album from Shallow Reign. Shallow Reign was part of the Deep Ellum scene in Dallas in the late 80's, which was supposed to be the next big thing in music before grunge broke and everyone forgot about it. I think the only band that ended up with a hit was Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians, which turned out to be a one hit wonder. Tripping Daisy and The Buck Pets both signed with a major label and released a few records, but never took off. The Reverend Horton Heat has had modest success.

Shallow Reign had a track featured on the Island Records compilation, The Sound of Deep Ellum.

i thought rev horton heat were pretty well-known, but i have a very skewed view of what's well-known.

should probably change the title of this thread to "super obscure albums you have that i can't imagine anyone else here actually has, plus some blurb about them." because i'm sure there is still someone out there with a copy of even the most obscure local cd-R pressed in their basement album that i have.

my all-time favorite album is no longer in print, apparently.
f29837bif16.jpg

sinners & saints - the sky is falling
some years ago i made a very lengthy, very annoying thread on here detailing the musical awesomeness of all the bands rob and mark lind have been in. in some wild cloud of pretention and snobbery or something, i declared this piece of general obscurity (again, i know other people own it because in a very small corner of the internet i've seen other people say they loved it too. however, most of these people know mark lind personally, have been in bands that have played with ducky boys, or have blood for blood tattoos. and there are like 15 of them tops) my favorite album by any band, ever.

it's the only album that was ever actually released under that particular band name, and a couple of the songs started out as songs meant initially to be ducky boys, blood for blood, or some kind of other never-formed project prior to making their way onto that album. i maintain that without actually knowing this going into hearing the album, you wouldn't know it. it's solid from beginning to end...well, all whopping 9 songs of it, anyway.

still my favorite album of all-time. really thought that would change by now, but i still listen to it on a very regular basis.

i'm sure there is still someone out there with a copy of even the most obscure local cd-R pressed in their basement album that i have.

Agreed, "no one else owns" is a bit of hyperbole, but I thought it would be fun to discuss some good but obscure albums that never quite broke through.

I still have a CD from a ska band that a guy across the hall from me in my college dorm played guitar in, but I wasn't going to include stuff like that. :wink:

Reverend Horton Heat was fairly well known. As was Tripping Daisy. They had a string of 'hits' in the mid 90s

i saw rev HH play a couple years ago. actually, i was really into them at one point and probably made a thread here 6 or so years ago. it was a good show. i wish i could remember who one of the opening bands was, because they definitely ranked as one of the all-time worst bands i've ever heard.

i wish i could remember who one of the opening bands was, because they definitely ranked as one of the all-time worst bands i've ever heard.

Mumford and Sons werent around back then, your post makes no sense

51BQJosTwkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This guy, Shugo Tokumaru, is awesome...he's a Japanese chamber-pop artist who plays literally dozens of instruments. All his albums are wonderful, but Exit is probably my favorite.

L.S.T. > Night Piece >>>>>>>> (Exit = Port Entropy)

In my opinion, of course. Used to see Exit for sale in Best Buy. Strange days.

Uhh...

has anyone heard of Europop? I mean, you've all heard Eiffel 65's "Blue". But that was my first album as a youngster.

2Gether: Again
With a rocking lead single The Hardest Part Of Breaking Up (Is Getting Back Your Stuff)
MTV had a fictional comedy series in the late 90s/early 00s about putting a boy band together. This was their second album.

Definitely have Europop stowed away in a far dark corner somewhere. Never bothered uploading it to my iTunes collection tho

Also: Jingle Dogs
A present from my grandparents. Features cats meowing, dogs barking, and high-pitched humans singing to the melody of classic christmas favorites.

I love that Mumford and Sons album. Love it.

A lot of people do and that's cool. I personally can't stand them, but nobody gives a shit. I think it's partly just fun to trash them because of the name. Sort of like Beady Eye

A lot of people do and that's cool. I personally can't stand them, but nobody gives a shit. I think it's partly just fun to trash them because of the name. Sort of like Beady Eye

Speaking of a beady eye ... I recently got shit face drunk in Costa Rica with a bunch of surfers. We drank a lot of tequila and ate a lot of fruit and some chicken dish. The next morning I woke up with the worst case of the shits I've ever experienced.

Speaking of a beady eye ... I recently got shit face drunk in Costa Rica with a bunch of surfers. We drank a lot of tequila and ate a lot of fruit and some chicken dish. The next morning I woke up with the worst case of the shits I've ever experienced.

MadForIt is gonna fucking stab you. Mess with the Chav and you'll get the horns

Haha when I was in Costa Rica they tried to make me and my brother eat some strange fruit and we we're like... ehh... pass.

Only now do I realize... good decision :lol:

I have a whole bunch of albums no one else on the forum has, for example:

4732074557_306c660cae.jpg

The Lookouts' One Planet One People. I have more obscure punk stuff, but I can almost bet no one has that one.

Old Dogs OST on 180g 3xLP. Side F has an etching of the scene where Travolta's face gets paralyzed.

I thought this might be fun: Name an album that you own that nobody else likely owns or has heard of, plus a factoid or two.

My first one is "Strangeworld," a 1989 album from Shallow Reign. Shallow Reign was part of the Deep Ellum scene in Dallas in the late 80's, which was supposed to be the next big thing in music before grunge broke and everyone forgot about it. I think the only band that ended up with a hit was Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians, which turned out to be a one hit wonder. Tripping Daisy and The Buck Pets both signed with a major label and released a few records, but never took off. The Reverend Horton Heat has had modest success.

Shallow Reign had a track featured on the Island Records compilation, The Sound of Deep Ellum.

Lived in a loft in Deep Ellum, knew a lot of these bands. Actually my band opened up for the Reverend twice... very cool guys.

Back
Top Bottom