Albums/artists on/for which you really only dig a handful of tunes. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2015, 12:38 AM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Albums/artists on/for which you really only dig a handful of tunes.

This is something I've been thinking about lately. Do you have an album, or an artist, where you really, really like a bunch of songs, but as a whole you just can't quite get into them?

Wilco is one such band for me. I have Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And I fucking ADORE the following songs - Misunderstood, Sunken Treasure, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, Heavy Metal Drummer, Reservations. There's also a handful of other songs I like. But I can't remember when I last listened to either album all the way through. It's quite frustrating having such a high point for an album/artist, something you love so much, but the rest of their work you've heard just doesn't quite reach the same mark.

R.E.M. is another band. Arcade Fire and Okkervil River I would have put in the same category in the past but I've since come around to both (strangely due to their latest albums, which no one else would agree are their best). Even Pavement might fit in this category for me. I dearly love about 10 or so Pavement songs but whenever I'm listening to them I'm usually handpicking tracks rather than albums.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:36 AM
The Replacements.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
The Male

Vampire Weekend
Neutral Milk Hotel
Animal Collective sans MPP
Drake
Eminem

I can't think of any others right now.

Go buy Summerteeth, Cobbler. If you like Being There, it may be right up your alley.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:36 AM

To a degree, Okkervil River. I fucking love Down Down the Deep River and Our Life Is Not... Those two songs are so good. While they have other songs I do enjoy (entire albums really, since I do like the majority of everything on the silver gymnasium a hell of a lot, and black sheep boy is decent all the way through), there's such a ginormous gap between how much I like those two songs and whatever my 3rd favorite song of theirs might be. The War on Drugs probably fits the bill too, not that they really have a large enough catalog to compare, but it's shaping up to be Baby Missles vs everything else for me.

Radiohead too, maybe? I like Kid A, and have the unpopular opinion that Pablo Honey is good. Otherwise, the band does almost nothing for me.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Arcade Fire
Neutral Milk Hotel
Sparta
The Doors

This is interesting...
Old 04-26-2015, 01:46 AM   #6
Vocal parasite

I was just listening to Mew's new album earlier and they are definitely a great example for this thread. Their full albums I don't tend to find particularly interesting, but each seems to have a couple of really great songs.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 AM   #7
The Male

Yeah, The Doors are a good one. Mostly spotty albums, but some real knockout tracks here and there. Same thing with Queen, only A Night at the Opera and Sheer Heart Attack are really good albums. I would include the Beach Boys in this, but they have two amazing albums under their belt in Pet Sounds and The Smile Sessions, plus a couple dozen great tracks on other albums. I really do like them, just a lot of their albums suck.

Thought of two more for this thread: Violent Femmes and The Feelies. Some great tracks from both but neither are favorite bands of mine.

Now.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:45 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:36 AM

I can't say I like LA Woman enough to warrant putting the Doors on that kind of a list. But it is the only song of theirs I like, aside from the first 15 or so seconds of light my fire.

The Menzingers' "in remission" is fantastic, but all their other songs are boring as hell.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:09 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Vampire Weekend
Good call. Whenever I put on an album of theirs, I seem to be skipping half the tracks.

I'm struggling to think of other artists. Justin Timberlake maybe. He has some fantastic singles but the only album I'd ever listen to from start to finish is 20/20 pt.1 and even that has some filler. Lana Del Rey as well. Basically every pop star I like.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:12 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:36 PM
I'd have to say that the much-ballyhooed My Morning Jacket falls squarely in this category for me. "Gideon", a decade or more old, is literally the only song of theirs that I have heard and liked. But I like it a lot.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:02 AM   #11
45:33

Some good calls here. My Girls is pretty much the only Animal Collective song I like. And I only like three or four Vampire Weekend songs.

Can't agree with Neutral Milk Hotel though. One of our regulars will have an aneurysm I'm sure over this but In Aeroplane Over the Sea is one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Even though it's been three, four years since I last tried it, that "JEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSUUUUUSSSSSS CHRIST" bit still haunts me. That is the worst $20 I have ever spent, an atrocious album.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #12
The Male

I've always liked Holland and Two-Headed Boy a lot. I also really like the untitled track because I don't have to listen to Jeff Mangum sing. Otherwise, bleh. Depends on my mood how much I can get out of ITAOTS.

Now.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 09:36 PM
The title track is pretty good, but yeah, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is unbearable.

Big Country
Gillian Welch
Catherine Wheel
Grimes
Belle and Sebastian
Lou Reed
The Fiery Furnaces
The Cars
Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Re: The Doors - I will hold that the debut and Strange Days are excellent albums through and through.

The classic artist that falls into this category for me is Hendrix. I'd say I admire more than like him and rarely listen to an album of his all the way through. M83 is another such artist; his (their?) albums all strike me as incredibly patchy.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:36 AM
The White Stripes. I like a few songs here and there but can't seem to get into the catalogue as a whole.