AFI (The band, not the film academy, stupid)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wish this album was coming next week. 2 and a half weeks still seems far away.

I suspect we'll have access to it next week. That's the way of the Internet and music these days.

I like 'Greater Than 84'. This album definitely has a different feel than Crash Love. I like it.

I'm waiting to say anything more until the album's out, but I will agree that it's certainly different than Crash Love.

Sold out show tonight here in Phoenix. Opening acts on right now. It's been ten long years since my last AFI show. So excited!

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you :D. They really were fantastic when I saw them.

AFIMotion_zps34734275.jpg

Setlist and Review:

The Leaving Song Pt. II
Girl's Not Grey
I Hope You Suffer
Wester
Love Like Winter
Ever and a Day
17 Crimes
File 13
The Leaving Song
Beautiful Thieves
Kill Caustic
Bleed Black
Miss Murder
The Days of the Phoenix
God Called in Sick Today

Encore:
Just Like Heaven (The Cure cover)
Dancing Through Sunday
Silver and Cold

So my friend Emma and I saw AFI last night. It had been ten years since I had seen them play Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. Emma last night was a lot like I was ten years ago--a new fan. Back in the day, I only knew a handful of songs, but last night I was able to sing along to almost everything. It felt good to be an AFI veteran.

The band: On point. Davey sounded terrific and was wearing his black leather jacket with the upside down cross on the back.

The crowd: Sold out and devoted! Of course there was a pit up front, but everyone was dancing :wink: and courteous in our area. Good mix of men and women, all ages. Crowd sang along well and did a good job of holding Davey up during his crowd walk.

The setlist: I wish they'd played longer, but otherwise, no complaints! Well, maybe I wish they'd played Death of Seasons...

Specifics:

--The guy next to me was having a spiritual experience during Silver and Cold

--Davey dedicated 17 Crimes to Jim Adkins of Jimmy Eat World

--Davey mocked the crowd for moshing during Just Like Heaven, saying afterward to Jade, "Well, it was an aggressive cover."

--The only song I didn't recognize was File 13. Davey mentioned to the crowd that he hoped he could remember the lyrics.

Emma's Personal Highlight: Kill Caustic

My Personal Highlight: Dancing Through Sunday. I actually turned around to Emma and yelled, "Holy shit!" and then proceeded to dance my ass off.

Overall, the show was really cathartic for me. It felt like I needed to sing all those dark lyrics and head bang a little bit. Can't wait to pick up the album tomorrow. I'm very hopeful they'll extend this tour now that the album's out and swing back through Phoenix again.

And finally, Emma's and my favorite of the pics I took last night--Davey walking on the crowd:
davey.jpg

Mofo now needs to see them and post a picture of Davey walking on the crowd and the trifecta will be complete.

I hope they come back, I want to see them again with the new songs. Can't wait for everyone to hear the album tomorrow. I'll give it another listen tomorrow as well.

I actually haven't seen them in like 10 and a half years, and didn't recognize File 13 even as a title (could only think of Aisle 13 by Built to Spill), so maybe I should doubt my own commitment to Sparkle Motion.

EDIT: Oh hey, Amazon just sent me the Autorip of the album.

I had no idea what File 13 was while they were playing it, and it's not in my music collection at all. The only time I've ever heard it was last night.

I actually haven't seen them in like 10 and a half years, and didn't recognize File 13 even as a title (could only think of Aisle 13 by Built to Spill), so maybe I should doubt my own commitment to Sparkle Motion.

EDIT: Oh hey, Amazon just sent me the Autorip of the album.

Listening party :hyper:

This thread has certainly taken an unexpected turn.

Love the new album. Love love love.

The Face Beneath the Waves :drool:

Back
Top Bottom