Aerosmith: 'records don't make sense'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musikwala

War Child
Aerosmith see "almost no reason" to ever make another album. The band's drummer has revealed that the group have given up plans for a follow-up to 2012's Music from Another Dimension, claiming that there's not enough money for records to "make sense".

"It would be great to make another record, but it's almost, why bother?" Joey Kramer told Ultimate Classic Rock magazine. "Records don't sell, and they don't do anything … There's almost no reason to do it, you know, judging from the last one and how it went over."

Music from Another Dimension was the lowest-selling album of Aerosmith's career, peaking at No 5 in the US and No 14 in the UK. But Kramer says it's "a really good record" that's "[still] going to be played 20 years from now". "Certain things held it back," he said, suggesting the poor state of the music industry affected the success of the album.

"We used to make a lot of money on records," Kramer explained. "Now all of our money is made on touring." And although "artistically, it would be fun to make another record", "to what avail?" he asked. "Music now is so disposable … We're not the Justin Biebers and the Nicki Minajs of the world, so unfortunately, records don't make sense."

Aerosmith are among the bestselling bands of all time.
Aerosmith: 'records don't make sense' | Music | theguardian.com

Aerosmith doesn't make sense. Terrible band.

Aerosmith doesn't make sense. Terrible band.

Toys in the Attic and Rocks are excellent rock records. Shut your whore mouth.

The reason their last album didn't sell was because it was a giant piece of shit. Any subsequent records they release will also fail to sell because they are giant pieces of shit. It's sad that they're deluding themselves into thinking otherwise.

Aerosmith has a handful of songs I like. They have aged worse than just about anyone out there, though, both physically and musically.

Beginning in the MTV era with the Run DMC collab/reunion of Perry/Tyler, I've always thought of them as a little 'mid life crisis' 40-something man at the bar trying to pick up college aged chicks - even back when I was a teen in the days of Permanent Vacation and Pump (late 80's). So for 30 years, yeah, they have been a "cheesefest".

But in the 70's, while highly derivative of Zeppelin (though derivative is the name of the game in B&C, so that should be theoretically acceptable enough around here) they were damn good in the music and what mattera more than that? Certainly not all of it, (too much bluesy crap for me) but they had some great songs. Here are 10 (in no order):

Dream On, Last Child, Train Kept A Rollin', Sweet Emotion, Nobody's Fault, Draw The Line, Kings and Queens, Same Old Song and Dance and my personal favorite - No More, No More.

I believe every single one of these songs came out before 1978/79.

As for the sentiment...fucking indicative of everything wrong with the music industry but especially heinous coming from a rock band. Then again, they've been outsourcing their songwriting for years. Besides this, who really gives a fuck what this band thinks? They couldn't be less relevant, even as a 'legacy act', I'd guess they make less impression on the 20-something and under crowd than a shit ton of artists that have been around 30-40 years.

I guess that is why they reissued their 70s albums on vinyl last month.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

It's that line of thinking that keeps the delusional folks in peeling off them dollar bills alive.

Aerosmith - 0 Reasons To Exist

:applaud:

Guns 'n' Roses perfected what Aerosmith started, really. Appetite For Destruction trumps even Toys In The Attic, and Use Your Illusion(s), however overcooked and overstuffed they may be, covers more ground than Aerosmith ever could have hoped for.

Guns 'n' Roses perfected what Aerosmith started, really.

I don't really hear the comparison in the music itself. Aerosmith was steeped in blues and groove; they were touted as Boston's answer to the Stones, whereas GNR existed in different set of circumstances. Eddie Van Halen had opened up a new world for guitarists like Slash. Trash metal was in its heyday. Meanwhile, Axl was influenced by ELO, Elton John and Todd Rundgren.

They did tour together though, and I agree that the "Bad Boys from ______" mentality existed between both groups.

Last edited:
All I can say is that I remember when Appetite came out, and there were a lot of comparisons, and some of them were non-musical as you pointed out.

Slash has been on record as saying Aerosmith was a big influence on him, so even if his own guitar sound might not sound similar there's still a connection. I also think you're underrating the amount of "boogie" in G'n'R's music. The R&B sound is there, just not steeped in classic blues like the kind Aerosmith played so derivatively and not nearly as excitingly as Zeppelin.

Agreed.

Pump was actually one of my favorite albums when I was a kid.

Yeah, I had Get a Grip on heavy rotation when I was in middle school. Probably MTVs fault, since some of those damnable videos were being played constantly.

Sorry, but Robert Christgau thinks Get a Grip and Rocks are A- records.

What now?

We all have our blind spots.

But not sure how we can really talk seriously about a "rock" band who keeps going to the Diane Warren well over and over again. There isn't a more pathetic way to sell out IMO.

Funny that they have more cred than a band like Journey, who at least wrote all their own songs and don't just sound like a watered-down Stones. And I'll tell you, Aerosmith's greatest hits album doesn't hold a candle to Journey's in terms of songcraft.

Fuck yeah, Journey.

I look forward to the day, perhaps decades from now, when I can enjoy Don't Stop Believin' again.

Wheel In The Sky is my favorite Journey track.

You know who likes Journey? Two fictional characters on popular Fox programs: Mr. Schuester from GLEE and Ryan Atwood from THE O.C.

Back
Top Bottom