Aerosmith: 'records don't make sense'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve Perry was directly involved in the murder (and subsequent cover-up of the murder) of CORY MONTEITH.

One of many things that make the final scene of The Sopranos so great is that they make a band like Journey tolerable.

Foreigner sucks.

Journey (at least once Perry joined) was pretty generic pop rock. But Perry did have an amazing set of pipes and the musicians in the band were talented, particularly Neil Schon. Foreigner had none of these things, and is basically comparable to another shit band like Bad Company.

Let's look at the respective hits of the bands:

FOREIGNER
I Want To Know What Love Is
Hot Blooded
Double Vision
Head Games
Urgent
Cold As Ice
Waiting For A Girl Like You

JOURNEY
Don't Stop Believing
Open Arms
Lights
Wheel In The Sky
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
Who's Crying Now
Only The Young
Faithfully

Not even close, IMO.

Plus, these are fairly impressive stats on their Greatest Hits release:

It is the band's best-selling album to date, spending over 760 weeks on the Billboard pop album charts (more than any other compilation album in history) and selling over 25 million copies as of 2008. As of December 2008, it is the sixth highest certified greatest hits package in the United States according to the RIAA,[4] behind only similar packages by The Eagles, Billy Joel, Elton John, and The Beatles' red and blue compilations.

It continues to be one of the most popular greatest hits packages, selling 500,000 to one million copies per year.

Half of those Journey hits are completely intolerable to me at this point. If I want late 70s, early 80s radio schlock, give me Hall and Oates any day. If I want rock music, I would never listen to Journey anyway.

Just a small town whore
Livin in West Baltimore
She took the midwife's name
Hooking every night

He was a cinephile
Born and raised in Zoo Station
He took the sensual journey
Of Wong Kar-Wai

She birthed him in a smokey room
Smell of cum and condom wrappers
For a dollar you can share the night
With Lance's Mom and on and on and on

Don't Stop Screamin
Hold on to the ceilin
Three flights, a peephole
oh oooo whoa whoah whoa

Don't stop bleedin
Moan on and keep squealin
Always pain before a child is born

Half of those Journey hits are completely intolerable to me at this point. If I want late 70s, early 80s radio schlock, give me Hall and Oates any day. If I want rock music, I would never listen to Journey anyway.

Hall & Oates deserve more credit than a guilty pleasure nod. That's some great white boy soul, and their earlier work never gets enough attention.

War Babies (produced by Todd Rundgren) is well-worth hearing.

Just a small town whore
Livin in West Baltimore
She took the midwife's name
Hooking every night

He was a cinephile
Born and raised in Zoo Station
He took the sensual journey
Of Wong Kar-Wai

She birthed him in a smokey room
Smell of cum and condom wrappers
For a dollar you can share the night
With Lance's Mom and on and on and on

Don't Stop Screamin
Hold on to the ceilin
Three flights, a peephole
oh oooo whoa whoah whoa

Don't stop bleedin
Moan on and keep squealin
Always pain before a child is born

Nice Cockweh reference at the end.

I give this 3 1/2 out of 4 hangers.

One of my fav Journey tracks wasn't on an album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jifOSQAI0G8

I think it holds up pretty damn well. Better than anything Bon Jovi ever recorded.

This was on the forgettable 1980s Matthew Modine high school wresting film which had very popular soundtrack. 2 new songs from Madonna including the big hit Crazy For You (her first big ballad?), The Style Council, a surprising crossover hit for Dio, and...Foreigner.

Yeah I was just a couple years too young. I think Perry was gone by 1986 and that's when I first started going to shows.

I do have fond memories of playing the Journey video game though.

Funny that they have more cred than a band like Journey, who at least wrote all their own songs and don't just sound like a watered-down Stones. And I'll tell you, Aerosmith's greatest hits album doesn't hold a candle to Journey's in terms of songcraft.

But Journey has become basically a karaoke version of themselves these days. I saw them with Perry when I was a teenager, decent but not great in concert. Perry had very little stage presence, so I guess the little Filipino guy (don't know his name) beats him there from what I've seen on Palladia etc.

Foreigner sucks.

Journey (at least once Perry joined) was pretty generic pop rock. But Perry did have an amazing set of pipes and the musicians in the band were talented, particularly Neil Schon. Foreigner had none of these things, and is basically comparable to another shit band like Bad Company.

Let's look at the respective hits of the bands:

FOREIGNER
I Want To Know What Love Is
Hot Blooded
Double Vision
Head Games
Urgent
Cold As Ice
Waiting For A Girl Like You

JOURNEY
Don't Stop Believing
Open Arms
Lights
Wheel In The Sky
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
Who's Crying Now
Only The Young
Faithfully

But this trumps all:

Foreigner-Dirty White Boy - YouTube

Oh my god, I love Only the Young. Ha ha.

I'm on team Martha with the foreigner thing, though. That's the only Foreigner song I like, too. Because I'm a sucker for a big gospel choir finish.

I do also love this, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ytraWPXQ8

I used to have an REM bootleg on cassette where they covered it. In an unironic fashion.

Back
Top Bottom