Adele - 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd listen to the album if only she'd have made it available to the streaming service I pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think it will be a while before it shows up on streaming services. Maybe when sales start to slow down.

17 Things You Learn Hanging Out With Adele | Rolling Stone

She doesn't subscribe to any streaming services.

"It probably is the future, but, eh," she says. "There are kids I know who are, like, nine who don't even know what a fucking CD is! I've got my CDs out on display in my house just to prove a point. Maybe CDs will have a massive comeback like vinyl did. Actually I think cassettes, just to be a pain in the ass! [Laughs] I've got all my Destiny's Child cassettes!"

(That said, the decision not to stream 25 was made close to the last minute. "At the moment, no call is being made," Adele's manager Jonathan Dickins said in early October. "And that's what I'm saying to you, that's what I'm saying to the label, and that's what I'm saying to the people I'm speaking to at various streaming services.")

She's a great singer and well done to her but the album is pretty bland. It's a sad state of affairs when music and bland as this can sell millions.
I like Adele (though "Hello" is boring enough to prevent me checking out the new album), but yeah, it is a sad reflection on the state of affairs in music.
To be honest I wouldn't even call Adele a great singer, though she is good.
She only appears great because music has been polluted by the likes of Rihanna, Katy Perry and whatnot who are just plain bad singers.
Similarly it is almost impossible to find a musician who can actually play an instrument better than averagely.
Not that I long back to the times before punk challenged the necessity to be a master of your instrument, but it does seem that we are now on the other end of the spectrum.

I like Adele (though "Hello" is boring enough to prevent me checking out the new album), but yeah, it is a sad reflection on the state of affairs in music.

To be honest I wouldn't even call Adele a great singer, though she is good.

She only appears great because music has been polluted by the likes of Rihanna, Katy Perry and whatnot who are just plain bad singers.

Similarly it is almost impossible to find a musician who can actually play an instrument better than averagely.

Not that I long back to the times before punk challenged the necessity to be a master of your instrument, but it does seem that we are now on the other end of the spectrum.

I'd be interested in who you consider a great singer?

Out of the current bunch, no one.

Obviously great are the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner etc
A bit more recent than that the likes of Annie Lennox, Kate Bush etc.

Doesn't make Adele a bad singer. She is good.
But I don't think that she would be labelled as 'great' in that many past decades.

Out of the current bunch, no one.

Obviously great are the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner etc
A bit more recent than that the likes of Annie Lennox, Kate Bush etc.

Doesn't make Adele a bad singer. She is good.
But I don't think that she would be labelled as 'great' in that many past decades.

Interesting. See, I would call Annie and Kate great artists, but not great singers. Adele's skill surpasses both of them, and quite effortlessly, but only time will tell how she's considered as an artist.

Kate Bush has tremendous range and uses her voice in very creative ways. She is absolutely a great singer.

There is, of course, a difference between having a great voice and being a great singer. Adele has a great voice, but I'd like to hear her rein it in a bit sometime.

I wonder if Florence (of The Machine fame) is indie music's Adele. Great voice, but not necessarily a great or even good artist.

Really quite crazy when this sort of album can smash records. She's a great singer and well done to her but the album is pretty bland. It's a sad state of affairs when music and bland as this can sell millions. Oh for the days when music like the Sex Pistols, U2, Bowie, The Clash etc were selling millions. We live in such a boring, manufactured musical era.

Don't really like Adele, won't listen to the album, won't buy it etc but this is such a load of shit. So many people say crap like this but conveniently forget all the fucking awful music that sold a lot of records too. Music is no better or worse than it has ever been.

Right. I can remember "back in the old days", when Vanilla Ice's To the Extreme sold over 15 million copies and MC Hammer's Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em sold over 22 million. Those albums didn't exactly stand the test of time.

Perhaps it's fairer to say that the not-crap artists - some of them - had wider and deeper cultural pull than they do nowadays. I guarantee your mother, and maybe even your sister, has not even heard of whoever passes for this moment's Bowie.

Yeah I can sort of agree with that - and I think these days the good artists don't seem to be quite as popular as some of those artists mentioned. But it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Right. I can remember "back in the old days", when Vanilla Ice's To the Extreme sold over 15 million copies and MC Hammer's Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em sold over 22 million. Those albums didn't exactly stand the test of time.

I heard Hammer's U Can't Touch this recently on the radio and I was taken aback by just how not a great vocalist he was. He didn't even have that great of flow.

I heard Hammer's U Can't Touch this recently on the radio and I was taken aback by just how not a great vocalist he was. He didn't even have that great of flow.

I think Hammer would even tell you he was no vocalist. Plus, he wasn't really respected as a rapper. But, from 1989 to 1991, the guy was on fire. I was 17/18 during the height of his fame and I definitely dug a few of his songs. (What did I know? :wink:) Then the gangsta rap craze passed him by and he was done.

An artist like Adele makes music that can stand the test of time. She's still early in her career and can only get better. She's barely scratched the surface of her talents. She might sell less units as time goes on, but hopefully that won't matter.

I was 13/14 in 1990/91 when Hammer ruled all. I think most kids I knew respected him more than Vanilla Ice. Hammer made fun, safe music that sold well.

I was 13/14 in 1990/91 when Hammer ruled all. I think most kids I knew respected him more than Vanilla Ice. Hammer made fun, safe music that sold well.

Oh yeah, definitely respected him more than Vanilla Ice. Vanilla Ice had his hit, of course, but the rest of that album was horseshit. Ice made Hammer look like the Beatles in comparison. Plus, he kept on lying about his background all the time and getting called out on it which made him look like a chump. Hammer was a better dancer too and don't forgot those pants. :wink:

Last edited:
Dangermouse produced 'River Lea' also....damn i wish he was the sole producer of SOI....

She might sell less units as time goes on, but hopefully that won't matter.

It doesn't matter from an artistic standpoint, but to put in perspective, if her future albums sell a tenth of what '21' managed to sell, she'll still have one of the best selling albums of any given year. That's how preposterously high her album sales have been over the last two cycles.

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. She would have been able to pull off a stadium tour, easily. Right now the tour's at 105 shows. :crack:

Back
Top Bottom