Adele - 25 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

Uh yeah, I think she would have easily. Do you honestly think that her looks sell more albums than her voice?
This.

Also, along with the voice, the album was propelled by two MASSIVE and inescapable hit singles.

Actually, hit is an understatement. "Rolling In The Deep" and "Someone Like You" were two of the biggest radio songs of the last quarter century. Why? Because they're great and memorable songs, with great vocal performances.

If any artist had "Rolling In The Deep" and "Someone Like You" on their album they would have sold a shit ton. It's about the songwriting and the performance. Not her fucking looks.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #92
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Unfortunately there aren't any Rolling In The Deep or Someone Like Yous on this album.

Still sold a shit ton though, and still has absolutely nothing to do with what she looks like. It may, however, have something to do with her cockney speaking voice.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:04 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And Adele herself actually agrees with me along with the writer of this perfectly timed article that I randomly ran across on Vulture. Maybe next time you can all put away the PC-guns that seem to run rampant across the internet and engage in a discussion rather than simply try to knock somebody down because they said something that could be considered offensive if construed the wrong way.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/adele...s-heroine.html

Quote:
“Sometimes I'm curious to know if I would have been as successful if I wasn't plus-size,” Adele recently wondered to Rolling Stone. “I think I remind everyone of themselves. Not saying everyone is my size, but it's relatable because I'm not perfect, and I think a lot of people are portrayed as perfect, unreachable and untouchable.”
Old 11-25-2015, 02:16 AM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:24 PM
PC PC PC [relentless hollering and hooting]
Old 11-25-2015, 02:36 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Basically. You're U2 fans as well...you likely see the good in people...your politics are likely leftist or at least rational, etc. All I tried to do was make the argument that Adele's unprecedented popularity could be in part because a large swathe of people identify with her on a personal level beyond the music (something the above article goes into, in fact) and people start acting like I was involved in some sort of fat-shaming crusade or act that it's impossible for her to have earned a single album sale for that reason.

I actually had a discussion on this sort of thing with my girlfriend a few nights back about how it's just so unproductive when people sit there on Twitter just waiting to attack someone for something that can possibly be considered racist or sexist or whatever else. It's similar to Jerry Seinfeld's comments months back about how you can't even perform comedy on a college campus nowadays because people are just looking for something to be "offended" by or how I've read articles in many liberal publications such as The Nation bemoaning how students are now wanting "safe zones" on campuses and don't even want to come across anything they can consider could be offensive during their education. It's like some weird holier than thou race-to-the-bottom where millions secretly delight in trying to proclaim themselves as being a good person by subverting any words they can in order for them to go "A-ha! That is wrong!"

I do regret the "Rolling In The Deep" nonsense I posted on here, something I'd done years back even on Interference, in fact, without an uproar or whatever as it undermined a discussion I tried to have later on in this thread. I still think the reaction I got around here would have been the same without making a joke beforehand about the song that was inspired by people identifying with her.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 AM   #96
45:33

Local Time: 12:54 PM
I agreed with you to an extent, I don't doubt that some of her success is due to her being "overweight". But they way you brought it up was a bit crass or hugely speculative. Like "how could she possibly sell that many albums if she wasn't overweight" or "the diet might hurt her sales".
Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #97
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Talking about how being relatable helped in her success vs. being overweight was a large part of her success because other overweight women had music to buy, making "fatty" jokes, and comparing her to the "grotesque" Boyle

Is

Having a logical discussion vs. being an ass

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Talking about how being relatable helped in her success vs. being overweight was a large part of her success because other overweight women had music to buy, making "fatty" jokes, and comparing her to the "grotesque" Boyle

Is

Bingo!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

Is

I hugely approve of you.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #100
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 11-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 AM
...and she is smashing records.

Biggest First Week EVER! Adele Absolutely Shatters Sales Records As 25 Flies Off The Shelves! | PerezHilton.com
Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #102
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Really quite crazy when this sort of album can smash records. She's a great singer and well done to her but the album is pretty bland. It's a sad state of affairs when music and bland as this can sell millions. Oh for the days when music like the Sex Pistols, U2, Bowie, The Clash etc were selling millions. We live in such a boring, manufactured musical era.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #103
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

This can't be, she's lost weight

Old 11-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i have only heard the intro of Hello so i will form no opinion about this album thingy
Old 11-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Obviously I heard Rolling in the Deep everywhere the year it came out, but I had no idea she had gotten as popular as she is now. Maybe my head just has been in the sand.