Adele - 25 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:21 AM
Thumbs Up

Adele was great on SNL last night. Plus, it helped that the show was watchable with McConaughey as the host.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's just a theory as to why Adele's popularity is basically inexplicable and beyond anything we've seen in the era of recorded music. To sell three million copies of your new album in one week in the United States alone when about two albums a year even sell that many worldwide anymore means there's some factors that make Adele a big draw for a lot of people. I'm just arguing that the lack of role models for plus-sized women (of which half the population of the US alone are overweight) could help be a big part of her success.

Again, Susan Boyle. No hits, just a gimmick and sells a boatload of copies of her debut album. Clearly plenty of people were proud to buy a record with someone they identified with that didn't fit the usual physical mold for female singers.

If Adele were the size of Ariana Grande, do you really think she'd have sold anywhere near 27 million copies of her last album? Or even half that? Come on. Women make up the bulk of pop music buyers and I get the feeling that a girl who is fifty pounds overweight is probably turned off by a lot of singers because she can't identify with their standards of beauty...

Old 11-24-2015, 01:10 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 05:21 AM
Old 11-24-2015, 01:28 AM   #79
45:33

Local Time: 12:21 AM
bono is fat as fuck why didnt soi sell 27 million copies

keep digging bro, youre bound to hit china soon.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:14 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post

If Adele were the size of Ariana Grande, do you really think she'd have sold anywhere near 27 million copies of her last album? Or even half that?
Yes I do.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 AM   #81
The Male

Local Time: 05:21 AM
If Ariana made music that appealed to nearly every demographic on the planet, she'd do infinitely superior numbers. If Adele lost 50 pounds, she wouldn't have sold 50% less.

The only thing I agree with BigMac on is this:

Quote:
As for the "production" side of things...of course an album like this is going to be way too slick but I'm sure it's also in that ear bleeding Loudness War territory where everything is amplified to the hilt in order to make this songs scream out "buy me damn it!" when they're played on the radio. That's the major labels for you.
There are like a dozen different people behind the boards for this album and while it all ends up sounding like Adele music in the end, there's no personality to the instrumental backing either.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

This album is all dad rock
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #83
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It's just a theory as to why Adele's popularity is basically inexplicable and beyond anything we've seen in the era of recorded music. To sell three million copies of your new album in one week in the United States alone when about two albums a year even sell that many worldwide anymore means there's some factors that make Adele a big draw for a lot of people. I'm just arguing that the lack of role models for plus-sized women (of which half the population of the US alone are overweight) could help be a big part of her success.

Again, Susan Boyle. No hits, just a gimmick and sells a boatload of copies of her debut album. Clearly plenty of people were proud to buy a record with someone they identified with that didn't fit the usual physical mold for female singers.

If Adele were the size of Ariana Grande, do you really think she'd have sold anywhere near 27 million copies of her last album? Or even half that? Come on. Women make up the bulk of pop music buyers and I get the feeling that a girl who is fifty pounds overweight is probably turned off by a lot of singers because she can't identify with their standards of beauty...

You should go back to letting Pitchfork think for you, it's much less misogynistic and vile than your own formed opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This suddenly became the body-shaming discussion. how classy.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
This suddenly became the body-shaming discussion. how classy.
Not really. It's just one person.

Dignifying the theory with a response would be a waste of energy.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yeah but one person's argument can spread pretty quickly thou
Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, a few of us have responded with sarcasm, but after a while who gives a shit?

So far, the songs that stand out for me on 25 are:

Hello
When We Were Young
Water Under the Bridge
River Lea
Old 11-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #88
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

So you're... doubling down on the sexist fat shaming?

Aren't you a charmer.

Quote:
If Adele were the size of Ariana Grande, do you really think she'd have sold anywhere near 27 million copies of her last album? Or even half that?
Uh yeah, I think she would have easily. Do you honestly think that her looks sell more albums than her voice?

Quote:
Women make up the bulk of pop music buyers and I get the feeling that a girl who is fifty pounds overweight is probably turned off by a lot of singers because she can't identify with their standards of beauty...
I'm sure the women of the world are just so relieved that there's a guy out there willing to mansplain their music purchasing motives for them.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Adele - 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
So far, the songs that stand out for me on 25 are:

Hello
When We Were Young
Water Under the Bridge
River Lea
Water Under the Bridge has turned into my favorite. She performed it on Fallon last night and it was great.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
Water Under the Bridge has turned into my favorite. She performed it on Fallon last night and it was great.
Yeah, I checked it out on youtube. Good stuff. I prefer her uptempo numbers, but the ballads are good too. I've listened to 25 about 4 times so far and I'm digging it more and more. Although, I'm hoping that the next album she releases (in 3 or 4 years) has a fuller sound coming from the band.