Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just gotta find a way to see them live this tour. I think I missed my chance at Red Rocks.

Me 2.

I even talked people into the Red Rocks show, but then all of us were lazy and didn't plan it. Oh wellz.

Really?! Those are two of my favorites.
Sing For The Submarine is really great...I also like Mr. Richards a lot.

Hollow man and dj are the only kinda weak tracks for me, but still pretty good

I just gotta find a way to see them live this tour. I think I missed my chance at Red Rocks.

Yeah... I think it's his vocals. Especially Man Sized Wreath. Reeeally don't like it.

Why do torrents gotta be so damned confusing?? :grumpy:

Yeah... I think it's his vocals. Especially Man Sized Wreath. Reeeally don't like it.

Oh man, how can you not like Man Sized Wreath?!

throw it on the fire, throw it in the air
kick it out on the dance floor like you just don't care!!!
:rockon:

I still fucking love this album!

Anyway, here are some pics from last night...

These are the best ones. The first couple are from when I was able to get closer to the stage, stand in the aisle and take pics. Still they are blurry cos my camera sucks.
REM6-19-08006.jpg

REM6-19-08008.jpg

REM6-19-08011.jpg

Right after I'm Gonna DJ and just before the encore
REM6-19-08015.jpg

I believe Johnny Marr is on stage in this last pic
REM6-19-08017.jpg

Btw, boy did Stipe bash the shit out of the Bush Administration once again!! :lol: He also mentioned the last time they performed at MSG (I was there! :yippie: ) was right after Bush had won his 2nd term in 2004, and he remembered it as a horrible day that they somehow got thru.

Anyway, another random thing I want to add is... after seeing U2, it feels like every rock concert needs a GA standing section! No? If you were directly in front and that close to the stage, why the hell would you wanna sit at all??? I can understand if you're old or weak but I'm guessing if you're old and weak, you wouldn't bother with front row!

I was thinking about something else today but it's not coming to me right now. So I'll leave it at that for now. :wink:

Someone mentioned two versions of a recent show on Dime and that the second recording was better. Are you talking about the 6/18/08 show?

I hope so, because that's the one I just downloaded. :wink:

Someone mentioned two versions of a recent show on Dime and that the second recording was better. Are you talking about the 6/18/08 show?

Talking to me? Use the quote feature, woman! ;)

I attended 6/19 at MSG.

I don't know if it was you - were you talking about torrents of REM shows on Dime and how the second version uploaded of xxx show was the better one? If so, then yes, I guess I'm talking to you.

It was me :) And yes, the 2nd version of Philly (the Schoeps source) is better...it's really excellent. Loving these gigs.

Awesome, it was definitely the Schoeps source I just picked up. Thanks!

I was too lazy to scroll back a few pages and find the post to quote it. :shh:

I just downloaded the Philly show as well.

What a cool setlist. Awesome to hear Vedder do Begin The Begin again,
Turn You Inside Out, Wolves Lower, Find The River, Let Me In, and Life and How To Live It were great.

Interesting they slowed down the chorus of Staring Down The Barrel...from the Dublin shows. I think I like the Dublin version better. I wonder if this song will make it onto an album or single at some point

I just downloaded the Philly show as well.

What a cool setlist. Awesome to hear Vedder do Begin The Begin again,
Turn You Inside Out, Wolves Lower, Find The River, Let Me In, and Life and How To Live It were great.

Interesting they slowed down the chorus of Staring Down The Barrel...from the Dublin shows. I think I like the Dublin version better. I wonder if this song will make it onto an album or single at some point

could someone please post a link to download the philly show you're all talking about? And what's the best site for live R.E.M. bootleg downloading? Thanks :)

I don't know if it was you - were you talking about torrents of REM shows on Dime and how the second version uploaded of xxx show was the better one? If so, then yes, I guess I'm talking to you.

Oh never mind then. I don't use torrents. The one time I tried them, it took too long and I lost patience. :slant:

could someone please post a link to download the philly show you're all talking about? And what's the best site for live R.E.M. bootleg downloading? Thanks :)

It's available via torrent, Rob. I don't know of any bootleg downloading sites specific to REM.

There's a large fansite called Murmurs, and they might have some information or links over there.

If I went to an R.E.M. concert and unexpectedly saw Ed Ved and Michael Stipe perform Begin the Begin together I would die. And I would die smiling.

Forgive me if I've mentioned this before but after watching them live for the second time on thursday, I've once again realized that REM is extremely fucking close to being my #1 favorite band of all-time. It's like U2 and REM constantly keep fighting and stealing the top spot from the other. :drool:

I know it's the same ... I was echoing what YOU said, Zoots! :lol:

No, my first comment was referring to how I'm feeling right now after Accelerate. REM has raced back to the top of my list. When I said "same here" I meant in the 90s I felt the same way after Achtung and Automatic came out. :drool:

Oh yeah, I was at the Philly show.

The setlist was kind of "meh", but bringing out Eddie Vedder was pretty badass, and I don't even really like Eddie Vedder.

Some YouTube fun:

YouTube - REM Harbour Coat (Live, 1985)

Harborcoat from 1985...dig Stipe's platinum blonde look!

YouTube - U2 & REM - One

Automatic Baby, for those who haven't seen it

YouTube - REM 6-9-84 Passaic 13. Sitting Still

Sitting Still from 1984...Stipe has serious girl hair. This is actually one clip of a whole show from Passaic, New Jersey. Some very cool songs on here. Check the sidebar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0O_QD-UZ8M

And E-Bow the Letter with Thom Yorke appearing in the role of "Patti Smith".

I have nothing but not so kind things to say about Stipe's dancing in that Harbour Coat video, but the song itself sounded great. Anyways, I want to play as well:

REM's first television appearance on Letterman in 1983. I don't know what's more awesome, Dave's hair, promoting an LP, how the whole band looks like kids, name dropping Hershel Walker, bands playing two songs on late night shows, Stipe hiding so he doesn't have to be interviewed, or So. Central Rain being so new that it hadn't been named yet.

YouTube - REM - Radio Free Europe

YouTube - REM - So. Central Rain

Both songs sound flippin' fantastic.

Great setlists. And this time they're not coming anywhere where I could see them. Too bad I got to see them on the Around the Sun tour, where the setlist was pretty underwhelming. Still, it was a very good gig.

I have nothing but not so kind things to say about Stipe's dancing in that Harbour Coat video, but the song itself sounded great. Anyways, I want to play as well:

REM's first television appearance on Letterman in 1983. I don't know what's more awesome, Dave's hair, promoting an LP, how the whole band looks like kids, name dropping Hershel Walker, bands playing two songs on late night shows, Stipe hiding so he doesn't have to be interviewed, or So. Central Rain being so new that it hadn't been named yet.

:lol: Completely agree about Stipe's dancing in that video...but the song did sound fantastic.

I love that Letterman performance! A music professor of mine told me I should look it up, and during a rock history class I took with him, he actually talked about the So. Central Rain performance with Stipe hiding behind Peter Buck and the song not being named yet.

I've seen these before, and I never get tired of watching them.

Back
Top Bottom