Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this point, I don't love it or hate it. I think it's good, and a vast improvement in mood/style over the last album, but I still stand by my opinion that's it's lacking something ... that vital something that makes REM's great albums great.

It lacks some heart, some weight ... I don't know. It lacks a big something for me.

I tend to agree. I love Living Well and sometimes when I hear it I get a flash of old R.E.M. -- like These Days but just not as good. And I've enjoyed seeing the band on TV here and then think they sound great (except, well, for Stipe) and look great and the energy and spirit is there. But the reality is I played the record to death for 2 weeks and then put it away because I think it gave me all it had to give. :(

Well, that was pretty fucking awesome.

Loved just about everything, but, the big highlights for me:

Pilgrimage
Begin the Begin
Pretty Persuasion
Fall on Me
Walk Unafraid
These Days
FIND THE FUCKING RIVER!!!!!!!!

New songs sounded good LIVE, especially Horse to Water and Hollow Man.

Did I mention that, after all these years, I finally heard Find the River? Guess who I thought of when I heard it. :)

Pilgrimage
Begin the Begin
Pretty Persuasion
Fall on Me
Walk Unafraid
These Days

Did I mention that, after all these years, I finally heard Find the River? Guess who I thought of when I heard it. :)

Wow, sweet. Good for you, NSW. :up:

How was Stipe's voice? Earlier posts thought he was having a bit of trouble. Any noticeable improvement?

He does not have the same voice he had 15 years ago, but, I only noticed some strain once, really....he sounded fine to me, but maybe I was caught up in everything and simply did not notice.....U2 are obviously my favorites, and there are tons of artists I like a lot, but REM have always been right behind U2 for me, so every time I see them it's special to me.

Oh, and The National were great. I'm not a Modest Mouse fan, but, I liked a few songs, have no idea what songs those were, though.

Find the River. :love:

Pilgrimage
Begin the Begin
Pretty Persuasion
Fall on Me
Walk Unafraid
These Days

Wow! NSW, that is awesome. Begin the Begin, Pretty Persuasion, Fall on Me...sounds like a fun night...I'm jealous.

corianderstem?!?!?

...and rows of hay!

Strength and courage overrides the privileged and weary eyes...
...River poet search naivete!!!

Pick up here and chase the ride
The river empties to the tide...

...All of this is coming your way!!!

U2 are obviously my favorites, and there are tons of artists I like a lot, but REM have always been right behind U2 for me, so every time I see them it's special to me.

Honestly, U2 is and will always be the number 1 band in my heart.

But it's a strong and intense race for the number 2 spot.

I always thought that the Pearl Jammers were holding down the number 2 spot solidly, but lately I'm not sure...

R.E.M. is making a strong case for it...and then of course we have the Beatles, Springsteen, etc. to contend with! Ahhhhhh I don't know.

sounds great NSW!

FIND THE FUCKIN RIVER! :hyper:

I am going to see them here in MD this Wednesday! :yippie: can't wait! I think the last time I saw them was at Street Scene a few years ago.

Oh man oh man oh MAN!

Pilgrimage, Begin the Begin and Find the River? Holy shit, that's three of my usual top five right there.

Dear REM: Please please PLEASE come to Seattle in a non-festival format later this year. PLEASE. Seeing the new songs live will probably even make me like the new album more. It worked with the last one!

That's awesome, NSW. And thanks for the shout-out. :wink:

Full set from last night:

Living Well Is The Best Revenge
These Days
Begin The Begin
What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?
Pilgrimage
Hollow Man
Animal
Man-Sized Wreath
Ignoreland
The Great Beyond
Accelerate
Houston
Electrolite
The One I Love
Final Straw
Find The River
Let Me In
Walk Unafraid
Orange Crush
Horse To Water
Bad Day
I’m Gonna DJ

Encore:
Supernatural Superserious
Pretty Persuasion
Losing My Religion
Fall On Me (w/ Johnny Marr)
Man On The Moon

The band seemed much more loose and fun, a welcome change from the lackluster "Around The Sun" tour. Stipe flubbed the second verse of "Man-Sized Wreath" and didn't get to the microphone in time for "Bad Day." Highlights were definitely the rarities, but "Fall On Me" with Buck and Marr on dueling Rickenbakers was unreal.

Also ran into Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche between The National and Modest Mouse!

He does not have the same voice he had 15 years ago, but, I only noticed some strain once, really....he sounded fine to me, but maybe I was caught up in everything and simply did not notice.....U2 are obviously my favorites, and there are tons of artists I like a lot, but REM have always been right behind U2 for me, so every time I see them it's special to me.

Oh, and The National were great. I'm not a Modest Mouse fan, but, I liked a few songs, have no idea what songs those were, though.

Find the River. :love:

Nice. That was some setlist you got.

I like The Lifting from Reveal, but that's it. Yeah, I tell you, it was a great show. I was exhausted last night, totally forgot to mention that Marr played during Fall on Me. That was fantastic. If that's the last time I ever see them I went out with a winner.

I like The Lifting from Reveal, but that's it. Yeah, I tell you, it was a great show. I was exhausted last night, totally forgot to mention that Marr played during Fall on Me. That was fantastic. If that's the last time I ever see them I went out with a winner.

You can take a FLAMETHROWER TO THAT PLACE?

Glad you got such a great show. :up:

Back
Top Bottom