Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
New REM album just announced in the past couple of days. Supposedly features some much more up-tempo songs, hence the album title 'Accelerate'.

List of potential tracks:

"Accelerate"
"Hollow Man"
"Horse to Water"
"Houston"
"I'm Gonna DJ"
"Living Well Is the Best Revenge"
"Man Sized Wreath"
"Mr. Richards"
"Sing for the Submarine"
"Staring Down the Barrel of the Middle Distance"
"Supernatural Superserious"
"Until the Day Is Done"

Some very REM sounding song-titles there, let's hope they are cacking songs, featuring some more memorable typically Stipian lyrics.

Oh, please please please please let this be good.

And by good, I mean: let me love it. :wink:

It'll come out April 1st in the States. I can't wait either! Nice to see that "I'm Gonna DJ" finally gets its official release. :up:

Now, as long as they tour behind it...:faint:

onebloodonelife said:
It'll come out April 1st in the States. I can't wait either! Nice to see that "I'm Gonna DJ" finally gets its official release.

Well, he said potential tracks.

Me, I'd be surprised if I'm Gonna DJ makes it to the final pressing. It seems more like a fun goof they thought it was fun to play in live shows, but I don't think it's more than that.

Some people at Virgin Radio got to hear the album already and I'm Gonna DJ was among the songs, I like the song a lot, it really grew stronger as the last tour went on.
http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/artists/rem/
I think the songs they played in the Dublin sessions were a really strong mix of rock and acoustic, almost like New Adventures, which makes me happy:)

auch

i dread the response of this album almost as much as i look forward to it.

the bitching will continue how rem have "lost it", and are too far up their own asses these days.

rem's latest album was fantastic, and yet it got shit on by nearly everyone.

hmmm

this post reads much of what a modern day u2 fan would have to say over at everything you know is wrong.

U2jer said:
Some people at Virgin Radio got to hear the album already and I'm Gonna DJ was among the songs, I like the song a lot, it really grew stronger as the last tour went on.

I guess I'll have to reserve final judgement until I hear the album version. The live versions I heard were fun, but not necessarily something I'd want on a new REM album. Oh well.

Zoomerang96 said:
auch

the bitching will continue how rem have "lost it", and are too far up their own asses these days.

hmmm

this post reads much of what a modern day u2 fan would have to say over at everything you know is wrong.

You have to realize that you're in the minority on Around the Sun, and to a lesser extent, Reveal. I think the hardcore R.E.M. fans are more disappointed in the last two albums than the hardcore U2 fans are with those respective works. The difference is that U2 actually sounds like they still give a shit, regardless of how successful you think the results are.

I wish R.E.M. would get up their own asses. What they've done since the beginning of the decade just sounds uninspired and fails to grab you on a gut level. The Dublin shows are promising, but so was their tour around In Time, and look what happened after that. Hopefully they preserved the energy for the album, and the title isn't misleading.

There are a few tracks on Around the Sun / Reveal to make a good EP.

Zoomerang96 said:
auch

Yeah, it seems that these days, unless you're Radiohead or White Stripes, it is a sin for a famous and immensely talented band, like REM, to release an album that doesn't have the indie-fundamentalists swooning all over it.

Personally, I'd actually take ATS and Reveal over AFTP. The albums have more cohesion if you ask my ear, and they don't feature considerably overplayed and overhyped longwinded songs like Drive, Nightswimming and Man On The Moon.

intedomine said:

Yeah, it seems that these days, unless you're Radiohead or White Stripes, it is a sin for a famous and immensely talented band, like REM, to release an album that doesn't have the indie-fundamentalists swooning all over it.

What?

intedomine said:

Personally, I'd actually take ATS and Reveal over AFTP. The albums have more cohesion if you ask my ear, and they don't feature considerably overplayed and overhyped longwinded songs like Drive, Nightswimming and Man On The Moon.

I'm not an indie fundamentalist.

I've been an REM fan as long as I've been a U2 fan. I love the band immensely, and still listen to them a lot. And, hey, you know what? I didn't like their last 2 albums. Simple as that. Just. Did. Not. Like them. I'll still buy the new one, and hope that it's good.

intedomine said:

Why are you always wrong?

Well the media monkeys and the funky junkies will invite you to their plastic pantomine.

Throw their invites away!

I like bits and pieces of both Reveal and Around The Sun. Okay albums, just not up to the R.E.M. standard.

The Lifting, Electron Blue, Boy In The Well, Ascent Of Man are all pretty good imo.

As for the new album, unless the songs get fucked over in production, I think it is going to be gooooood. I hope they keep some of the 'live' feel to the songs that was captured in Dublin.

It sounds like REM didn't even quite like the last few albums all that much.

I've been a die hard, but admit to not even buying the last two. But I am getting excited about this one...

Back
Top Bottom