Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008 - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #856
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:41 AM
I thought someone else would have been at Madison Square Garden, so I didn't bother writing down a setlist.

A few notes:

NOTHING from Murmur, but three from Reckoning. That was kind of weird. Rockville, Pretty Persuasion, and then...HARBORCOAT. I can't tell you how awesome it was to hear that, and if I heard him correctly, it hasn't been played yet this tour. It almost made up for having to sit through Ignoreland and Until the Day is Done.

Begin the Begin, These Days, and Fall On Me. Lifes Rich Pageant gettin' some love.

Unfortunately Document didn't get as much, and Finest Worksong was missed. THey did play Heron House, though, which was cool.

They played NOTHING from Reveal (YAY!) and only one from Around the Sun (YAY!)-- the tour's first play of Leaving New York (NAY!). Cori, this was never my proud.

Couple other staples, and I was a little bummed that no non-singles from Automatic or Out of Time were played, or anything from Hi-Fi save Electrolite. But with a catalogue that long, it's tough to do justice to everything. I did hear Driver 8. And they did a very unexpected (for me) acoustic rendition of Let Me In, with the whole band crowded around in a circle. Stipe's vocals on this were AMAZING, the most powerful I've ever heard him sing something live.

The band just sounded great on everything, tackling old and new with precision. One last critique though, "COOOOOOL" jokes aside, I'm not sure Man on the Moon is a great closer. The verses are just too downbeat. Yeah, the chorus is sing-a-long and catchy, but to me it's not heavy or raucous enough. Now I'm not saying they should drag out It's the End of the World every night, but something more epic like Country Feedback or Find the River, or just a big rocker would be a lot cooler.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #857
45:33

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Well given the album a few more spins now... and I'm really enjoying the three in the middle there - Accelerate, Until the Day is Done and Mr. Richards. My fave three so far on the album.

I want to hate I'm Gonna DJ, it sounds soo corny, but I don't know, it's kinda not bad.

Still not loving the first two though, they annoy the crap out of me.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #858
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I thought someone else would have been at Madison Square Garden, so I didn't bother writing down a setlist.

A few notes:

NOTHING from Murmur, but three from Reckoning. That was kind of weird. Rockville, Pretty Persuasion, and then...HARBORCOAT. I can't tell you how awesome it was to hear that, and if I heard him correctly, it hasn't been played yet this tour. It almost made up for having to sit through Ignoreland and Until the Day is Done.

Begin the Begin, These Days, and Fall On Me. Lifes Rich Pageant gettin' some love.

Unfortunately Document didn't get as much, and Finest Worksong was missed. THey did play Heron House, though, which was cool.

They played NOTHING from Reveal (YAY!) and only one from Around the Sun (YAY!)-- the tour's first play of Leaving New York (NAY!). Cori, this was never my proud.

Couple other staples, and I was a little bummed that no non-singles from Automatic or Out of Time were played, or anything from Hi-Fi save Electrolite. But with a catalogue that long, it's tough to do justice to everything. I did hear Driver 8. And they did a very unexpected (for me) acoustic rendition of Let Me In, with the whole band crowded around in a circle. Stipe's vocals on this were AMAZING, the most powerful I've ever heard him sing something live.

The band just sounded great on everything, tackling old and new with precision. One last critique though, "COOOOOOL" jokes aside, I'm not sure Man on the Moon is a great closer. The verses are just too downbeat. Yeah, the chorus is sing-a-long and catchy, but to me it's not heavy or raucous enough. Now I'm not saying they should drag out It's the End of the World every night, but something more epic like Country Feedback or Find the River, or just a big rocker would be a lot cooler.
Begin the Begin, Disturbance at the Heron House, Let Me In, Driver 8!

Nice.

And I know that you guys, Cori and Laz, like to make fun of it but I honestly don't mind the "COOOOOOOOL" vocals from Stipe. In fact, I kinda sorta dig it when he does that.

Maybe I will see the light one day but for now I'll take it.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #859
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Fucking great show at MSG! Will post setlist and pics later.
I have to get to work now.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #860
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Murmur is their best album, bar Out Of Time for mine.

They NEED to play Pilgrimage and We Walk
Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #861
Blue Crack Supplier

I saw a great show here in Chicago, so I cannot complain, but hearing Harborcoat and Disturbance at the Heron House would have been nice. Good for you, Laz.

Fuck, I really wish I could have seen them more than once this tour.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #862
Blue Crack Supplier

Okay I have a little time now so I'll post the setlist. A little unsure about the order at the beginning (although order of first 3 songs is certain!) but anyway here goes:

living well's the best revenge
these days *
what's the frequency, kenneth?
drive
ignoreland
hollow man
bad day
man sized wreath
leaving new york
disturbance at the heron house
houston
electrolite
don't go back to rockville
driver 8 *
harborcoat *
the one i love
until the day is done
let me in *
horse to water
pretty persuasion *
orange crush *
i'm gonna dj

ENCORE:
supernatural superserious
losing my religion
begin the begin *
fall on me
man on the moon

* = surprise joygasmic moments!

I wish they did 2 encores like U2. But they seem to have played more songs overall though. LRP got such good representation!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #863
Blue Crack Supplier

A few more comments:

The show was great but the people around me in section 202 weren't. There was this guy behind me who asked me to "please sit down" at some point during the show. It's a fucking rock show, not the opera! Geez! And then there was this couple next to me who looked like they were attending a funeral. The guy was the fan but even that wasn't very obvious cos he wasn't singing along to anything or even bobbing his head! The girl didn't even get up... at all during the show, was sitting the whole time. Was probably wondering when this torture was gonna be over or something. And in general, I was among the few 3 or 4 people rocking the fuck out. Everyone else was standing and watching like at a museum. Ugh, this is why I hate getting seats! And I wish REM did GA.

Anyway, because of all the above, I tried abandoning my seat and tried to get as close to the floor as possible. Got into section 46 or something and had a fantastic view, took some pics before security saw me standing in the aisle and asked me to go back to my seat! Anyway I'm happy I got a few pics. Will post em later when I'm home.

Laz, you must have been over the moon hearing those LRP songs! We should have met before the show or something! Oh well, next time.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #864
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, I was in the rafters, where they didn't even turn the fucking lights off!

Lame.

And I'm a bit bummed I didn't hear Sing For the Submarine or Mr. Richards, IMO the two best songs on the album.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #865
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Cori, this was never my proud.
I second your vomit. (Even though I like the song.)

Man, oh man, I HOPE they come around here again in the fall. Please please pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #866
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
You have the audio from Comcast last friday?? I was there and I'm quite interested in finding it. Send me an email at johnnygossamer@gmail.com if you don't mind sharing your info.
2 versions are up at dimeadozen.org, the 2nd one is better. Ditto a 2nd source for Philly which is great, best live version of Find the River I've heard. I'd expect something from MSG to surface also. If you don't do the torrent thing let me know and I can get a copy to you.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #867
ONE
love, blood, life

Of course they'd save Leaving New York for MSG, I don't care if ATS is sleep inducing, I love that track. As for the Man on the Moon, at Mansfield they whole "COOOOOOOOL!" thing was definitely toned down, and as they'd added an extra encore song before it the crowd really was enjoying it as the end of the show. Perhaps it doesn't always need to be the closer, but it can definitely work in some instances like that show. (what's strange is their setlists are mostly open but they seem to need a concrete closer, the opposite is true for U2 who will mix that up but not as much with other parts of the setlist)
Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #868
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
2 versions are up at dimeadozen.org, the 2nd one is better. Ditto a 2nd source for Philly which is great, best live version of Find the River I've heard. I'd expect something from MSG to surface also. If you don't do the torrent thing let me know and I can get a copy to you.
Yeah I don't really do torrents, so you'd be my hero if you sent me a copy
Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #869
Blue Crack Distributor

I know what I'm downloading tonight!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #870
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
Still not loving the first two though, they annoy the crap out of me.
Really?! Those are two of my favorites.
Sing For The Submarine is really great...I also like Mr. Richards a lot.

Hollow man and dj are the only kinda weak tracks for me, but still pretty good

I just gotta find a way to see them live this tour. I think I missed my chance at Red Rocks.

Tags
accelerate, rem