Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
intedomine said:

Hence your name which is, I feel, one of the dullest REM's songs I've ever heard.

Thanks, really needed to know that. The live version with drums is the version I like. And I also chose the name after the Snow Patrol album.

intedomine said:

Hence your name which is, I feel, one of the dullest REM's songs I've ever heard.

When Stipe gets too directly topical, he tends to falter.

Which is why I'm worried about that anti-war song on the new album (the slow one).

Focus on the melodies, let the content come later.

I didn't like Final Straw when I first heard it, but it grew on me. I think I Wanted To Be Wrong is the stronger political song on the album, though.

If you go on REMhq now, they have a trailor for the album. Give a big preview of the new single Supernatural Superserious. Sounds really good!

Final Straw said:
If you go on REMhq now, they have a trailor for the album. Give a big preview of the new single Supernatural Superserious. Sounds really good!

Is it April yet? :drool:

Am looking forward to this although like many others I skipped Around the Sun. Gave it a miss, I mean. :|

REM are capable of producing some wonderful tunes, so here's hoping that they do..

"Supernatural Superserious" may be a pleasant surprise for R.E.M. fans fearing the band's 14th studio album would be yet another dispensable entry in their catalog. It's a sharp, compact rock song that's softer than Monster, but nowhere near as soggy as Around the Sun."

Ha ha ha. Spot on

"Sure, Stipe still telegraphs the song's underlying be-yourself sentiment-- a lamentable tendency since Up-- and sure, he's been writing this same bridge for a while now..."

As I suspected, Stipe is the one to worry about.

I also love how they called them "corporate rock", which means at least they're not putting them on an indie throne above U2 anymore.

I love the song. Very catchy... Just what R.E.M. need right now. Goes back to Stand, Sidewinder, Get Up days. I have it on repeat anyways!

EUROPEAN DATES GOING ON SALE FOR FANCLUB MEMBERS ON TUESDAY.

Here's the e-mail...

R.E.M. Headquarters
February 6th
Athens, GA

HELLO FROM R.E.M. HQ!

On Monday, February 11th, we will announce details of R.E.M.'s forthcoming European
tour on remhq.com. On that same day we will also e-mail fan club members with details
of an exclusive Fan Club ticket pre-sale which will take place on Tuesday, February 12th,
at 9:00AM (GMT).

PLEASE HAVE YOUR PASSWORD READY

To participate in the Fan Club pre-sale, members will need their e-mail address and
password.

Please take this opportunity to make sure you have your Fan Club password handy. If
you are not sure of your password, please visit http://remtickets.sandbag.uk.com/ to
retrieve it.

Stay tuned for tour and presale details coming your way on Monday, February 11th!

I'm not sure what I think of it at this point. Could be worse, could be a whole lot better.

I think I always psych myself out with bands/artists like REM, U2, The Cure, Morrissey, etc. Every time they have something new coming out, I want desperately for it to be so fantastic that unless the lead song is stellar, I just give up. I'm still worried that REM has fallen into the mindset U2's had that they think that they have to compete with the contemporary "young" artists of today, instead of just writing a good album. This single seems a bit too much of that. None of your fans need a "modern" radio friendly single (that will make you popular again, we just want good songs. The radio is full of garbage, why are you even wanting to be thrown in with that? That all said, could be worse.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
I'm still worried that REM has fallen into the mindset U2's had that they think that they have to compete with the contemporary "young" artists of today, instead of just writing a good album. This single seems a bit too much of that. That all said, could be worse.

Agreed, I couldn't help but notice Jacknife Lee mentioned as the producer, not sure if that's a good thing or not...

elevated_u2_fan said:

Agreed, I couldn't help but notice Jacknife Lee mentioned as the producer, not sure if that's a good thing or not...

I think he's a pretty strong producer, especially in reigning in a lot of ideas by bands into a new direction like he did with Snow Patrol's Final Straw and Bloc Party's A Weekend in the City.

The new album is going to be hyped as a huge comeback to rock.

You don't book an arena tour with Modest Mouse and The National if planning more plodding plethoras of pleasant nothings.

My theory is that a combination of Bush-weary 'wow' will meet a moment of post-"Michael's finally an out fag" for renewed confidence and consciousness.

In other words, REM is taking a page from the last Springsteen and even ATYCLB era U2 -- a return to fucking form finally.

Can't WAIT!!!

u2popmofo said:
I'm still worried that REM has fallen into the mindset U2's had that they think that they have to compete with the contemporary "young" artists of today, instead of just writing a good album.

:no: Say it isn't so!!! :sad: :scream:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom