Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R.E.M. have never really had great album covers. I'd guess 'Murmur' is their most kick ass cover. I like this one though, maybe just because I'm looking forward to the music so much.

I like that it's black and white because, if I'm not mistaken, the last black and white R.E.M. album cover was a little collection of songs known as 'Automatic for the Fucking People'

Could that be a good omen?

GirlsAloudFan said:
R.E.M. have never really had great album covers. I'd guess 'Murmur' is their most kick ass cover. I like this one though, maybe just because I'm looking forward to the music so much.

I like that it's black and white because, if I'm not mistaken, the last black and white R.E.M. album cover was a little collection of songs known as 'Automatic for the Fucking People'

Could that be a good omen?

R.E.M. has always had some intereresting album covers, although the last few have sucked.

New Adventures was the last black and white cover.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

R.E.M. has always had some intereresting album covers,

There is something bizarre about them, for some reason they always seem to compliment the mood of the album, which is extraordinary because REM's album covers have always seemed very low key.

I love the cover for Reveal, with that seemingly pointless Big Red Dot, and the cover for Out Of Time and the mystical location on the cover of Murmur is cool too.

Sounds decent.

:shrug:

Not terribly excited though. They're going to have to do a hell of a lot better than Around The Sun this time around though. And I actually kinda liked ATS.

I like what I hear with that one. Sounds like vintage REM to me, but not in the boring post-Billy Berry era way.

The song sounds decent, but that title is godawful, which reminds me that not only was the music of the last two albums bad, but Stipe has been slipping in the lyrics department.

Vocals don't sound as raw as the music either.

Official tracklisting:

1. Living Well Is the Best Revenge
2. Man-Sized Wreath
3. Supernatural Superserious
4. Hollow Man
5. Houston
6. Accelerate
7. Until the Day Is Done
8. Mr. Richards
9. Sing for the Submarine
10. Horse to Water
11. I'm Gonna DJ

Those song titles are so REM.

I'm Gonna DJ? That song is terrible IMHO. But some of the other songs I've heard are very good, so we'll see.

Having a chorus of "I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world" when your most famous song has the chorus "It's the end of the world as we know it..." is so fucking lazy.

As I said before, Stipe has been slipping as well and it isn't just the music that has dropped in quality the last couple albums.

lazarus said:
Having a chorus of "I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world" when your most famous song has the chorus "It's the end of the world as we know it..." is so fucking lazy.

As I said before, Stipe has been slipping as well and it isn't just the music that has dropped in quality the last couple albums.

Well, for me that's not the main problem. My problem is the delivery.

"I'm gonna DJ at the end of the WOOOOOORLD" is truly painful for the ear.

Stipe does that way too often live these days.

In "Man on the Moon," he sings "...nothing is cool .... COOOO-WOLLLLLLLL!" It's so fucking annoying. Do you have to do it every single time, Stipe

or "... end of the world as we know it... and I FEEL FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!!!"

Shut up, Shouty McShouterson.

Agreed. I can't STAND that Man on the Moon thing you're talking about.

It's sad because I felt on Up he became an even more nuanced and impressive singer. Look at the variety of style and delivery on that album. It's amazing.

djerdap said:

Well, for me that's not the main problem. My problem is the delivery.

"I'm gonna DJ at the end of the WOOOOOORLD" is truly painful for the ear.

Yeah, it's really lazy. He could come up with a good vocal melody for that part.

Instead, the song kind of sucks, and it's mostly Stipe's fault.

I mean, I like that he's got energy and stuff when performing live, but to do it over and over again. Oy.

I am really excited about the new album though, don't get me wrong, I think Houston, Living Well, and Until the Day Is Done all sound great, but I just hope that some of these vocal tics aren't all over it.

I'm trying to keep my expectations low. It won't be difficult to surpass the last two, but even if it's a solid rocker, I still doubt it will be as kick ass and throttling as Monster (which I know has its detractors), or have ballads on the level of Tongue and Let Me In.

And from what I've heard on the live shows, these songs don't sounds as eclectic as Up or Hi-Fi, which normally could change in the studio, but it seemed to me they were going for a rawer, live feel this time.

lazarus said:
Agreed. I can't STAND that Man on the Moon thing you're talking about.

It's sad because I felt on Up he became an even more nuanced and impressive singer. Look at the variety of style and delivery on that album. It's amazing.

Another reason why Up is my favorite REM album :up:

I haven't heard any of the new songs live yet aside from I'm Gonna DJ, and I'm not a huge fan of Around the Sun, so I doubt I'll be crushingly disappointed with this album (ala In Lamebows) , unless it's just a complete and total shitfest.

Why is I'm Gonna DJ the closer? "Until the Day is Done" is the slow contemplative song from what we've heard, seems like that'd do better at the end.

Damn, Reveal is a fine album, it's so feel-good, I'm so gonna play it to pieces when I'm next on a coastal holiday by the beach, it would just seem to fit that kind of scene so nicely....

Back
Top Bottom