Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If this is the show Im thinking of, from Santa Monica,
I really like the beginning of Radio Song when Michael messes up.

Also the live version of Low is very good

I dunno where they taped it ... New York, I would guess? It's the broadcast of MTV Unplugged from 1991. It's been a long time since I've listened to it, but I don't remember Stipe screwing up Radio Song.

There were a handful of the acoustic shows they did around the record, which was the only touring they did.

I remember playing all of those over and over again back in the day ... and I still can't bring myself to listen to "Love Is All Around Me" anymore.

BAAAA BA BA BA BAAAAAAA, BA BA BAAAAAAAAAAAA!

: shoots self :

Yeah, the show I have must be different then.

This is the Santa Monica Acoustic Setlist:

World Leader Pretend
Half A World Away
Heron House
Radio Song
Low
Love Is All Around
Tusk
Losing My Religion
Bandwagon
Endgame
Jackson
Swan Swan H
Spooky
Radio Ethopia
Fall On Me

and then whoever put the recording together put Shiny Happy People on the end from when the played it on SNL. I think its the only time it was played live and is thus the only live recording of the song.

I think I got this show off Dime awhile back
Anyways, its great to hear these Out of Time songs live.

Just got this album over the weekend and have given it a few spins... and it's not too bad at all! It feels like it's over before it starts, which kinda sucks, but it's very, very quick paced and quite aggressive in parts. Cufk. It'll be a grower, and there's nothing that really jumped out at me (once I got over the initial beating) and I liked Supernatural Superserious, Hollow Man, Until the Day is Done, Accelerate, Mr. Richards (who's this addressed to?? Are they an American band yeah?) and probably Sing for the Submarine, with maybe SS being the best of the lot. I'm Gonna DJ kinda sucks a bit though in my opinion.

What did they release as a single? Does anyone reckon they'll tour here? Inte you might be able to help me out there...

Since I'm yet again missing the tour I've been grabbing some of the live recordings out there...Great Woods (Mansfield, MA) is very nice and the Jones Beach show in the rain is a lot of fun, especially with "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" which is one of my favorite REM covers (along with "Midnight Blue").

Isn't it awesome? There are some good recordings of it from '87 mostly, it rocks.

Just got this album over the weekend and have given it a few spins... and it's not too bad at all! It feels like it's over before it starts, which kinda sucks, but it's very, very quick paced and quite aggressive in parts. Cufk. It'll be a grower, and there's nothing that really jumped out at me (once I got over the initial beating) and I liked Supernatural Superserious, Hollow Man, Until the Day is Done, Accelerate, Mr. Richards (who's this addressed to?? Are they an American band yeah?) and probably Sing for the Submarine, with maybe SS being the best of the lot. I'm Gonna DJ kinda sucks a bit though in my opinion.

What did they release as a single? Does anyone reckon they'll tour here? Inte you might be able to help me out there...
Good buy, my young man! :up:

Yeah, REM will tour here. Apparently once they're done in Europe this summer, they will probably do another Yank tour later in the year. I reckon based on past experience, they may tour Oz around April 2009? This is stonkin album, I doubt they will miss the opportunity to tour this one.

I was thinking that REM (along with Coldplay and Radiohead) might be due to hit Australia around the time of the Big Day Out next year, so maybe REM in January hopefully.

Horse To Water:drool:

Weezer are apparently covering Oddfellows Local 151 as a b-side on one of the 7 inch singles of Pork and Beans. I want to hear that.

Since I'm yet again missing the tour I've been grabbing some of the live recordings out there...Great Woods (Mansfield, MA) is very nice and the Jones Beach show in the rain is a lot of fun, especially with "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" which is one of my favorite REM covers (along with "Midnight Blue").

You have the audio from Comcast last friday?? I was there and I'm quite interested in finding it. Send me an email at johnnygossamer@gmail.com if you don't mind sharing your info.

Where were you sitting? I saw a guy in a white Vertigo '05 t-shirt sitting five rows directly in front of me and was thinking about who they might be.

I was in the Orchestra section. I was one of the saps who got soaked the whole entire show. I didn't care because REM kicked fuckin ass! Every song rocked! Because of the weather, they only played 90 minutes instead of 2 hours.

Btw, I wasn't wearing a Vertigo shirt. I was wearing a Syracuse sweatshirt. It gets cold at The Beach.

I thought someone else would have been at Madison Square Garden, so I didn't bother writing down a setlist.

A few notes:

NOTHING from Murmur, but three from Reckoning. That was kind of weird. Rockville, Pretty Persuasion, and then...HARBORCOAT. I can't tell you how awesome it was to hear that, and if I heard him correctly, it hasn't been played yet this tour. It almost made up for having to sit through Ignoreland and Until the Day is Done.

Begin the Begin, These Days, and Fall On Me. Lifes Rich Pageant gettin' some love.

Unfortunately Document didn't get as much, and Finest Worksong was missed. THey did play Heron House, though, which was cool.

They played NOTHING from Reveal (YAY!) and only one from Around the Sun (YAY!)-- the tour's first play of Leaving New York (NAY!). Cori, this was never my proud. :sick:

Couple other staples, and I was a little bummed that no non-singles from Automatic or Out of Time were played, or anything from Hi-Fi save Electrolite. But with a catalogue that long, it's tough to do justice to everything. I did hear Driver 8. And they did a very unexpected (for me) acoustic rendition of Let Me In, with the whole band crowded around in a circle. Stipe's vocals on this were AMAZING, the most powerful I've ever heard him sing something live.

The band just sounded great on everything, tackling old and new with precision. One last critique though, "COOOOOOL" jokes aside, I'm not sure Man on the Moon is a great closer. The verses are just too downbeat. Yeah, the chorus is sing-a-long and catchy, but to me it's not heavy or raucous enough. Now I'm not saying they should drag out It's the End of the World every night, but something more epic like Country Feedback or Find the River, or just a big rocker would be a lot cooler.

Well given the album a few more spins now... and I'm really enjoying the three in the middle there - Accelerate, Until the Day is Done and Mr. Richards. My fave three so far on the album.

I want to hate I'm Gonna DJ, it sounds soo corny, but I don't know, it's kinda not bad.

Still not loving the first two though, they annoy the crap out of me.

I thought someone else would have been at Madison Square Garden, so I didn't bother writing down a setlist.

A few notes:

NOTHING from Murmur, but three from Reckoning. That was kind of weird. Rockville, Pretty Persuasion, and then...HARBORCOAT. I can't tell you how awesome it was to hear that, and if I heard him correctly, it hasn't been played yet this tour. It almost made up for having to sit through Ignoreland and Until the Day is Done.

Begin the Begin, These Days, and Fall On Me. Lifes Rich Pageant gettin' some love.

Unfortunately Document didn't get as much, and Finest Worksong was missed. THey did play Heron House, though, which was cool.

They played NOTHING from Reveal (YAY!) and only one from Around the Sun (YAY!)-- the tour's first play of Leaving New York (NAY!). Cori, this was never my proud. :sick:

Couple other staples, and I was a little bummed that no non-singles from Automatic or Out of Time were played, or anything from Hi-Fi save Electrolite. But with a catalogue that long, it's tough to do justice to everything. I did hear Driver 8. And they did a very unexpected (for me) acoustic rendition of Let Me In, with the whole band crowded around in a circle. Stipe's vocals on this were AMAZING, the most powerful I've ever heard him sing something live.

The band just sounded great on everything, tackling old and new with precision. One last critique though, "COOOOOOL" jokes aside, I'm not sure Man on the Moon is a great closer. The verses are just too downbeat. Yeah, the chorus is sing-a-long and catchy, but to me it's not heavy or raucous enough. Now I'm not saying they should drag out It's the End of the World every night, but something more epic like Country Feedback or Find the River, or just a big rocker would be a lot cooler.

Begin the Begin, Disturbance at the Heron House, Let Me In, Driver 8!

Nice.

And I know that you guys, Cori and Laz, like to make fun of it but I honestly don't mind the "COOOOOOOOL" vocals from Stipe. In fact, I kinda sorta dig it when he does that.

Maybe I will see the light one day but for now I'll take it.

I saw a great show here in Chicago, so I cannot complain, but hearing Harborcoat and Disturbance at the Heron House would have been nice. Good for you, Laz.

Fuck, I really wish I could have seen them more than once this tour.

Okay I have a little time now so I'll post the setlist. A little unsure about the order at the beginning (although order of first 3 songs is certain!) but anyway here goes:

living well's the best revenge
these days *
what's the frequency, kenneth?
drive
ignoreland
hollow man
bad day
man sized wreath
leaving new york
disturbance at the heron house
houston
electrolite
don't go back to rockville
driver 8 *
harborcoat *
the one i love
until the day is done
let me in *
horse to water
pretty persuasion *
orange crush *
i'm gonna dj

ENCORE:
supernatural superserious
losing my religion
begin the begin *
fall on me
man on the moon

* = surprise joygasmic moments! :love: :wink:

I wish they did 2 encores like U2. But they seem to have played more songs overall though. LRP got such good representation! :drool:

A few more comments:

The show was great but the people around me in section 202 weren't. There was this guy behind me who asked me to "please sit down" at some point during the show. It's a fucking rock show, not the opera! Geez! :mad: And then there was this couple next to me who looked like they were attending a funeral. The guy was the fan but even that wasn't very obvious cos he wasn't singing along to anything or even bobbing his head! The girl didn't even get up... at all during the show, was sitting the whole time. Was probably wondering when this torture was gonna be over or something. And in general, I was among the few 3 or 4 people rocking the fuck out. Everyone else was standing and watching like at a museum. Ugh, this is why I hate getting seats! And I wish REM did GA.

Anyway, because of all the above, I tried abandoning my seat and tried to get as close to the floor as possible. :lol: Got into section 46 or something and had a fantastic view, took some pics before security saw me standing in the aisle and asked me to go back to my seat! :mad: Anyway I'm happy I got a few pics. Will post em later when I'm home.

Laz, you must have been over the moon hearing those LRP songs! :hi5: We should have met before the show or something! Oh well, next time.

Yeah, I was in the rafters, where they didn't even turn the fucking lights off!

Lame.

And I'm a bit bummed I didn't hear Sing For the Submarine or Mr. Richards, IMO the two best songs on the album.

You have the audio from Comcast last friday?? I was there and I'm quite interested in finding it. Send me an email at johnnygossamer@gmail.com if you don't mind sharing your info.

2 versions are up at dimeadozen.org, the 2nd one is better. Ditto a 2nd source for Philly which is great, best live version of Find the River I've heard. I'd expect something from MSG to surface also. If you don't do the torrent thing let me know and I can get a copy to you.

Of course they'd save Leaving New York for MSG, I don't care if ATS is sleep inducing, I love that track. As for the Man on the Moon, at Mansfield they whole "COOOOOOOOL!" thing was definitely toned down, and as they'd added an extra encore song before it the crowd really was enjoying it as the end of the show. Perhaps it doesn't always need to be the closer, but it can definitely work in some instances like that show. (what's strange is their setlists are mostly open but they seem to need a concrete closer, the opposite is true for U2 who will mix that up but not as much with other parts of the setlist)

2 versions are up at dimeadozen.org, the 2nd one is better. Ditto a 2nd source for Philly which is great, best live version of Find the River I've heard. I'd expect something from MSG to surface also. If you don't do the torrent thing let me know and I can get a copy to you.

Yeah I don't really do torrents, so you'd be my hero if you sent me a copy :heart:

Still not loving the first two though, they annoy the crap out of me.

Really?! Those are two of my favorites.
Sing For The Submarine is really great...I also like Mr. Richards a lot.

Hollow man and dj are the only kinda weak tracks for me, but still pretty good

I just gotta find a way to see them live this tour. I think I missed my chance at Red Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom