Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hyper: going to see REM tomorrow nite!! :yippie:

And how was it?

Tomorrow night for me! :hyper: Although the weather forecast changed and now there is a chance of thundershowers all through tomorrow evening, last time I was at Jones Beach there was a lot of lightning, I had to move up to the nosebleeds which is the only section under roof, and it cut short and screwed up my enjoyment of David Bowie's set. :|

And how was it?

Tomorrow night for me! :hyper: Although the weather forecast changed and now there is a chance of thundershowers all through tomorrow evening, last time I was at Jones Beach there was a lot of lightning, I had to move up to the nosebleeds which is the only section under roof, and it cut short and screwed up my enjoyment of David Bowie's set. :|

it was great.. sold out show... crowd into it.. I have a couple of vids from a ways back.. I'll post them when i get a chance.. My seats were crappy, far back from the stage..

it was cool..

setlist:
Finest Worksong
Living Well's the Best Revenge
Bad Day
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Drive
Ignoreland
Man-Sized Wreath
Little America
Hollow Man
Walk Unafraid
Houston
Electrolite
(Don't Go Back to) Rockville (crowd went nutso singing at the top of their lungs for this one for obvious reasons) :D
Pop Song 89
Horse To Water
The One I Love
Driver 8
Until The Day Is Done
Let Me In
These Days
Orange Crush
I'm Gonna DJ

Supernatural Superserious
Losing My Religion
Mr. Richards
Fall On Me
Man On The Moon

and at some point during the show, Michael said I have a surprise in my pocket that I want to show you all, he reached in and pulled out a Obama 08 pin and pinned it to his jacket lapel saying Obama our next president! Crowd went nuts...:hyper:

(Don't Go Back to) Rockville (crowd went nutso singing at the top of their lungs for this one for obvious reasons) :D

What obvious reasons? :shifty:

Ignoreland :drool: defense defense defense defense yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah :wink:

I wait patiently to bang my head off to Horse To Water. :combust: :rockon:

Just got back from Jones Beach - NIGHTMARE weather for a venue surrounded by water with very little cover and no buildings for miles. Modest Mouse got cut short a song or two because lightning hit the lights at the top of the stadium during their set and they cleared everyone out. Show was then delayed for over an hour, and it poured with occasional lightning in the farther distance for all of R.E.M.'s set.

EDIT: Somebody actually put up video already on YouTube of them halting the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MflikterVoI

Fabulous show though! :D I can't remember the entire setlist, but they opened with a good chunk of Have You Ever Seen the Rain, with Michael and Mike trading vocals. :) They also threw in It's The End of the World As We Know It for the first time this tour, I think (Stipe said they hadn't rehearsed it at all). Johnny Marr came out at the end again for Fall on Me and probably one or two others...I missed the last song or two to get a jump on the bus home. It was so wet, that Stipe didn't put on his concert clothes, he had his regular street stuff on, and they just went into the encore instead of going off-stage. At this show, Stipe was throwing Obama t-shirts into the audience. :D Stipe and the band were in great spirits, which helped keep us in great spirits despite being poured on.

BTW, they did Ignoreland again, so yes you can call it a staple - and I liked it! :drool:

This was the setlist:

Have You Ever Seen the Rain (last-minute add)
So. Central Rain
These Days
Living Well Is the Best Revenge
WTF, Kenneth?
Man sized wreath
Ignoreland
Hollowman
Welcome to the Occupation
Houston
Electrolite
Horse to Water
The One I Love
Let Me In
Bad Day
Orange Crush
I'm Gonna DJ

Encore (although they did not break):

Losing my religion
It's the End of the World (impromptu add)
Fall on Me
Man on the Moon

As I was suspecting since I found out I only missed one song, making the show seem slightly fast (understandably so, though!) they did reportedly cut some planned songs - Heron House, Strange Currencies, Animal, Until the Day is Done, and Life and How to Live It in the main set and Harborcoat, Imitation of Life, Nightswimming from the encore. Still 23 songs is quite a full show, especially under the circumstances, and still a fabulous show!

BTW, an article about the craziness there last night:

Jones Beach Theater evacuated during concert -- Newsday.com

Aww, Strange Currencies, Life & How to Live It, Imitation, those would have been excellent. Also Bad Day & It's the End of The World As We Know It, they don't really do those both anymore.

The Mansfield show was amazing, a great weaving of old IRS songs, big time Warner's Era hits, and Accelerate tracks. I was a tad disappointed to not see Mr. Richards as its one of my favorites from the new album. I'd been kind of worried as Stipe hadn't seemed to be in good voice throughout the promo appearances earlier this spring, but he sounded amazing, and the band always brings their best, but Stipe was really enjoying the in-between banter again.

My friend and I saw them last night at Jones Beach. It rained the whole time but they were awesome nonetheless.

Where were you sitting? I saw a guy in a white Vertigo '05 t-shirt sitting five rows directly in front of me and was thinking about who they might be.

Hey, laz ... and anyone else who wants it. Here's the REM 1991 Unplugged show. It's never been officially released, so I'm assuming it's safe to post a link here:

http://www.mega upload.com/?d=I7KNC838

As always, delete the space in the middle of the link. Enjoy!

Whoa!

It's like I'm a sailor lost at sea and corianderstem is my lighthouse guiding me to shore!

I'm totally downloading that Unplugged R.E.M. goodness. Thankyou thankyou.

Hello everyone,

Alright well I didn't realize this forum existed until a few months ago and I can never seem to find it. I'm very lost and I don't know what's going on right now but all I can say is that I was at the 5/29/08 R.E.M. show at Hollywood Bowl and it was fucking amazing. R.E.M. is so great, I love them. Michael Stipe was in great form, and he exceeded my expectations. His voice is in GREAT shape, and the band was on fire. Good Setlist, I loved the story about looking through the setlist of their last show at the Hollywood Bowl (which I also went to) and playing songs that they had left off....I wish U2 would do stuff like that. Michael was pretty funny, I just wished that they started the show with the sound they had achieved by the end. I think it mainly had to do with the volume...But the sound was much better towards the end than in the beginning. Anyway, I look forward to seeing them again sometime soon.

Highlights of the night for me:

Fall On Me
One I love
Electrolyte (howcome on the album it is spelled "Electrolite" ?)

And thanks Cori for that link, I just downloaded it :)

Hey, laz ... and anyone else who wants it. Here's the REM 1991 Unplugged show. It's never been officially released, so I'm assuming it's safe to post a link here:

http://www.mega upload.com/?d=I7KNC838

As always, delete the space in the middle of the link. Enjoy!

If this is the show Im thinking of, from Santa Monica,
I really like the beginning of Radio Song when Michael messes up.

Also the live version of Low is very good

That Unplugged show was absolutely awesome except that I didn't like that version of Heron House too much.

Back
Top Bottom