Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I guess. Though I'd give Pavement pretty high marks for consistency, and still call them the Best American Band of the 90's. They only have 5 albums so it would be hard to give them anything more than that.

R.E.M. can certainly have the 80's though. Not much competish on this side of the pond.

And the 70's, of course, belong to Steely Dan.

The 00's? Not looking too great right now for anyone. At this point, maybe The White Stripes? White Blood Cells, Elephant, Get Behind Me Satan and Icky Thump is a pretty decent run, and they'll probably have one more before the decade's out. I imagine a lot of people would say Wilco, though because you can't count Being There I'm much more impressed with My Morning Jacket's lineup.

As usual, most of the great stuff is from the UK.

As usual, most of the great stuff is from the UK.

Yeah I find it amazing how most of the great bands are always consistently from the UK. I mean America has got it's own legends like REM, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, RHCP (although they're too mellow now), Metallica (even though the last one sucked) etc. But the whole slew of bands that started with Creed, Nickelback, Staind, Three Doors Down, Puddle Of Mudd etc. is what is ruining American music. Yes/No? Discuss. :wink:

Well, I never relegate a discussion of music to just bands. If this is just bands, I guess Bruce has to go, though, the E-Street Band is a big part of Bruce's lore and popularity.

You know which American musical act owned the 60's? Supremes. Sold more albums than any act here in the States outside of the Beatles. :) That being said, the Doors are the American band that owned the 60's, just to take it back one more decade.

Agreed, but the original post asked the best American band, and Springsteen is definitely a solo artist.

But yeah, if we are talking about any American act over the last 25 years, Springsteen is at or near the top obviously, along with R.E.M.

Yeah when I'm talking about bands, I'm also considering solo artists automatically. I see no separation between them. They're all musicians. I never understood when people say something like "but this is bands we're talking about, not solo artists". What's the big difference? :scratch: They're all artists!

Yeah when I'm talking about bands, I'm also considering solo artists automatically. I see no separation between them. They're all musicians. I never understood when people say something like "but this is bands we're talking about, not solo artists". What's the big difference? :scratch: They're all artists!

Then simply refer to them as artists. :wink:

Finally got all of my pictures on my computer from the past couple shows...

So, I got to the Xcel a bit through The National's set, and I'm pretty bummed that I missed some of it. Really enjoyed their show. I'm not really a Modest Mouse fan at all, but they still put on a good show. Now for the fun of the night though. In between Modest Mouse and R.E.M., a group of four came to sit down, and one of the women had a ticket for the exact same seat that I had a ticket for. A guy from Guest Services came over to sort it out, and he took me up to the front row, where I got to hang out for the rest of the concert! :D That right there would have made my night, but towards the end of the show, during the encore, one of R.E.M.'s security guys came over to me and gave me a setlist. After the show, I talked with one of the regular security guys and asked him to thank that guy for me again, and he said that the big security guy heard that I'd been bumped from my seat, so he got a setlist for me. :love:

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0313-1.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

Wow Is Bad Day a regular? :drool:

Beautiful pics, Cassie! :love:

That was very nice of that security guard! Looks like you had an amazing night in the front row! :drool:

The next day it was off to Chicago, which is a place I'd never been before. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but I got used to it, and the concert more than made up for any issues I had with the city. I think that Chicago's show had more gems in the setlist...highlights for me were: Orange Crush, Pretty Persuasion, Find the River, Begin the Begin, and Pilgrimage.

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Sweetness Follows. :drool:

I know! It was so beautiful. Where were you sitting in Chicago? I was over in 111, row 6.

Wow Is Bad Day a regular? :drool:

Beautiful pics, Cassie! :love:

That was very nice of that security guard! Looks like you had an amazing night in the front row! :drool:

Yep, Bad Day's been a regular so far. Funny thing is that Stipe messed up the beginning at both shows, and he had to start the song over.

Yes, it was definitely fantastic! My first R.E.M. show too, and it's certainly not one I'm going to forget.

I know! It was so beautiful. Where were you sitting in Chicago? I was over in 111, row 6.

Yep, Bad Day's been a regular so far. Funny thing is that Stipe messed up the beginning at both shows, and he had to start the song over.

Yes, it was definitely fantastic! My first R.E.M. show too, and it's certainly not one I'm going to forget.

Your photos are great!

I was up in 301, actually, Row 5. As it turned out, not a bad view at all.

Your photos are great!

I was up in 301, actually, Row 5. As it turned out, not a bad view at all.

Thanks!

From what I could see of the arena, it looked like most of the seats had nice views.

Wow! I didn't realize it was your first show! I knew you were a huge fan so kinda assumed you would have seem them already. :der: And you made not one but two shows!? :yippie:

Yep, I didn't get into them until after the Around the Sun tour. I only planned on Chicago, but then the St. Paul show got added afterwards, and I knew I couldn't pass up a show in my city. Expensive, but well worth it. :D

Agreed, but the original post asked the best American band, and Springsteen is definitely a solo artist.

But yeah, if we are talking about any American act over the last 25 years, Springsteen is at or near the top obviously, along with R.E.M.

I considered Bruce when I originally posed the question, but Springsteen's best work is not from the last 25 years. His 70's run from Asbury Park through Darkness is the peak and glory of Bruce.

I think R.E.M. has to be it. And, yeah, agreed with everyone that said the UK has the best artists. With their damn accents and their crazy tea! :wink:

You know which American musical act owned the 60's?

Ummmm, Dylan?

Man, I wouldn't wish Ignoreland on my worst enemy.

Sorry you had to be subjected to that, and missed hearing ANY other song by the band.

Surprised to see Shaking Through AND West of the Fields. That's kind of cool.

:lol: It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually saw it both nights, in St. Paul and Chicago...

Back
Top Bottom