Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:
Sing for the Submarine is the one song I can't get into yet. It seems misplaced to me.

:

There's something splendid abut the guitar in the chorus of Sing For The Submarine, for me it's a key cog in the album. One of the "growers".

This album is fucking brilliant!

wave the palms, steal the alms,
a fist in the air.
a motorcade of benign strength shows
the people that you care

everybody here comes from somewhere
that they would just as soon forget and disguise
yeah you cried and you cried and you cried and you
realized your fantasies are dressed up in travesties
enjoy yourself with no regrets

:up::up:

Zootlesque said:
everybody here comes from somewhere
that they would just as soon forget and disguise
yeah you cried and you cried and you cried and you
realized your fantasies are dressed up in travesties
enjoy yourself with no regrets

Sorry, but that's pretty amateurish stuff for Stipe.

lazarus said:

I realize those lyrics are not as deep and abstract as some of his other songwriting but I still like it.

And the political stuff on this album blows me away too!

so listen, your intention
sign the paper, stamp the ribbon,
you're mistaken if you think we'll just forget
you can thump your chest and rattle
stand in front of your piano but
we know what's going on
yes we know what's going on

Mr. Richards has really moved up in my mind after I started paying attention to the lyrics. Does anybody know who exactly he is talking about here?

Oh and...

where is the rip cord, the trap door, the key?
where is the cartoon escape hatch for me?
no time to question the choices I make
I've got to fall in another direction
accelerate

:drool: This is getting close to being a Top 5 REM album for me!

lazarus said:

On paper, yes. But I think it's got a nice hook to the ear--for now anyway.

I'm not sure which songs on this record have staying power yet but after listening to it sort of ongoing for a week now, I can say that I really like the first 3 tracks, then the middle 4 tracks (Hollow Man through Until the Day is Done) I find kind of boring, and then I like Mr. Richards on to the end.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the melody is good, and it's certainly no worse than some of the crap Bono's been slinging the last couple albums, but Stipe isn't usually that cliche.

It's a far worse crime using the words (not to mention titling the song) "Supernatural Superserious", which is Superfucking Stupid.

lazarus said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, the melody is good, and it's certainly no worse than some of the crap Bono's been slinging the last couple albums, but Stipe isn't usually that cliche.

It's a far worse crime using the words (not to mention titling the song) "Supernatural Superserious", which is Superfucking Stupid.

:lol:

I think it's safe to say one of the great things about this record being a rocker is that we don't have to pay attention to the lyrics, which is why

The battle's been lost, the war is not won
An addled republic, a bitter refund
The business first flat earthers licking their wounds
The verdict is dire, the country's in ruins

will be skipped on my copy of Accelerate for the rest of my life.

joyfulgirl said:

The battle's been lost, the war is not won
An addled republic, a bitter refund
The business first flat earthers licking their wounds
The verdict is dire, the country's in ruins

will be skipped on my copy of Accelerate for the rest of my life.

Why? :(

Good thing I have the wonderfully convenient ability to completely turn off any or all lyrical association by my brain when listening to music. Honestly, if it sounds good, who really gives a shit...

Zootlesque said:

Because the lyrics are obvious and trite.

Go back and check out Stipe's much more subtle and thoughtful words during the Reagan Administration. Welcome to the Occupation, World Leader Pretend, Exhuming McCarthy.

It's night and day.

Zootlesque said:

It's bad, zootles! Bad!

But don't worry, I really like the rest of the record, even the kind of meh songs in the middle I don't really dislike. Just that one.

lazarus said:

Because the lyrics are obvious and trite.

Go back and check out Stipe's much more subtle and thoughtful words during the Reagan Administration. Welcome to the Occupation, World Leader Pretend, Exhuming McCarthy.

It's night and day.

:yes: I cringe at times listening to the vitriolic political themes throughout the album, but I still very much enjoy it because the musical direction is great. Whoever decided that it was time for REM to stop being so lame deserves a pat on the head.

Yeah, there's another one. The point is that they aren't so specific that they don't have a poetry of their own. You can't really imagine anything else when listening to The Final Straw or Until the Day is Done, and it takes away from the R.E.M. magic.

Speaking of Magic, Bruce was a lot more subtle with the politics on his latest (as well as The Rising), and it makes the albums that much better for it.

Yeah I guess I can see that there is not much subtlety in Stipe's lyrics here. But I still like this line...

If the storm doesn't kill me the government will

Zootlesque said:
Yeah I guess I can see that there is not much subtlety in Stipe's lyrics here. But I still like this line...

If the storm doesn't kill me the government will

:tsk:

What am I going to do with you? That's another really bad lyric!

:lol:

But you didn't say it was good, you said you liked it. That's okay then. :wink:

Up the stairs to the hallway
Up the stairs into the hall
We wa-ha-alk.

We walk through the (mumble)
Weeeee-heeee walk.

Pure brilliance, first album. Right there, man.

Back
Top Bottom