Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
Haha no way can I agree to that! This album sounds so much fresher than the tired greatest hits package that was HTDAAB. Just the first 3 tracks make me want to jump up and down in joy! REM is DEFINITELY BACK!!!

Didn't everyone do that too, when HTDAAB was released?
:)

Popmartijn said:

Didn't everyone do that too, when HTDAAB was released?
:)

lol. You are right. My comment about HTDAAB was uncalled for because I do enjoy that album too... only, in a different way. But I love how REM sounds on this album, so fresh and full of energy! And they didn't bother to wait till Christmas for maximum earnings. I guess they knew their fans would buy it no matter when it came out. :heart:

Zootlesque said:

lol. You are right. My comment about HTDAAB was uncalled for because I do enjoy that album too... only, in a different way. But I love how REM sounds on this album, so fresh and full of energy! And they didn't bother to wait till Christmas for maximum earnings. I guess they knew their fans would buy it no matter when it came out. :heart:

I wish U2 knew their fans feel the same way. March or November, we'd come out in droves. :mad:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I wish U2 knew their fans feel the same way. March or November, we'd come out in droves. :mad:

U2 doesn't seem to really care for long time fans. Their main objective seems to be to reach out to new people who wouldn't ordinarily buy the album unless it was a Christmas present or something.

I don't mind so much that the record is short but I just went to the bank and back and although it's just up the street and there was no wait at the drive-through, somehow 7 songs zipped by. :lol:

It's growing on me on second listen. They somehow managed to recapture (not just emulate) the feeling of their early IRS albums, and that's really impressive in a way. I'm not sure it's as good as those albums though, but it's quite refreshing nonetheless.

Lancemc said:
It's growing on me on second listen. They somehow managed to recapture (not just emulate) the feeling of their early IRS albums, and that's really impressive in a way. I'm not sure it's as good as those albums though, but it's quite refreshing nonetheless.

:yes: It's really amazing how close they've gotten to recapturing those classic years. It's not on that level, of course, and there's nothing here I would put in my top 5/10 REM songs, but it's certainly refreshing like you said.

Yes. It's definitely better work than Around the Sun, and it's probably even better than Reveal, and I really enjoy Reveal.

A solid victory indeed I'd say. I really hope I can catch them again on this tour.

Lancemc said:

A solid victory indeed I'd say. I really hope I can catch them again on this tour.

REM/Modest Mouse/The National is one of the best lineups of the year for sure. Still very upset that I'm going to fucking miss it.

Oh shit. I forgot they were touring with The National. No way I'm missing this then.

Tickets for Philly go on sale saturday morning. I'll have to set my alarm to wake me from my assured alcohol-induced stupor to purchase them, but I'll solider through. Should be a great show.

As much as you hated In Lamebows, :wink: if I could only go to one show (and that's the way it is at this point) Radiohead is my choice. Holding my breath that their opening act is strong.

Yeah, well the REM show is in June, and Radiohead should be in August, so I should be able to manage getting to both. I hope so anyway.

Rumor has it (Thom himself confirmed it), Grizzly Bear are supporting the band throughout the tour. Not sure which leg, however.

Bought this last night and I hadn't downloaded anything, so it was all new. (Look, Peter Buck needs the dosh, he's got to pay alimony to 2 ex-wives now :madspit: ). Anyway, it's made the drive to and from work great, I've been headbanging in the traffic jams to Living Well, Horse to Water and I'm Gonna DJ. And does anyone else reckon Mr Richards has a touch of Bob Mould/Sugar?

Great album :up:

I hadn't downloaded anything before I had the album. I wasn't really convinced in the beginning, but it's steadily growing on me. Certainly not my favourite REM album, but easily among my top 5. I like most of the lyrics. I just cannot get used to 'I'm gonna DJ" in the end; on the Live in Dublin album, it was kind of funny, but on Accelerate it's pretty annoying.

Still a good album. Can't wait for the concert in July.

Because of timing and finances, I am resigned to the fact that I may not get to catch this first leg as much as I want to.

I cannot buy Chicago tickets this Saturday, and now, my only hope is for a miracle: Atlanta.

I really, really hope they follow up with a fall US tour.

A vicious rumor I just saw on the REM boards: U2 and REM co-headlining a stadium tour in summer 2009.

Anu said:
A vicious rumor I just saw on the REM boards: U2 and REM co-headlining a stadium tour in summer 2009.

I won't hold my breath.

I was listening to a recording of the REM set at SXSW, and I have to say this to Michael Stipe:

Dude. Stop yelling instead of singing on the uptempo songs. It's seriously fucking annoying.

corianderstem said:

I won't hold my breath.

I was listening to a recording of the REM set at SXSW, and I have to say this to Michael Stipe:

Dude. Stop yelling instead of singing on the uptempo songs. It's seriously fucking annoying.

Man on the Moon: COME OOOOONNNNNN!
So Fast So Numb: FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!
I'm Gonna DJ: WORLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

i love it!lol

telling Stipe how to sing is like telling Van Gogh how to paint

with the obvious difference that Van Gogh is quite dead

Back
Top Bottom