Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got the CD at Best Buy and listening to it right now. :yippie: I was actually looking for the cd/dvd edition but couldn't find it at CC or BB! Has anyone here got that deluxe version?

I passed on the deluxe version. I was going to pick it up on the way home, but then realized I could buy it with my employee discount at one of our stores. And I saved myself $2. :wink:

Wow, they really stepped on the accelerator here! I can't listen to it again right now. Gotta finish up my DI list. :p

So

I guess I'm the only one not falling in love with this record? Okay, it's only been a couple of listens but my initial impression is that it's not all that interesting. :reject:

I thought I would be excited by a more guitar-driven record but I find the guitar to be slightly annoying, to be honest. The guitar work all sounds the same and a bit grating at times.

Obviously I need to spend a lot more time with it. But the problem is it feels like I have to listen to it some more instead of I can't wait to get to know it better. Maybe I just prefer their more polished sound.

And right now I'm going to go play with the Muse DVD.

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
So

I guess I'm the only one not falling in love with this record? Okay, it's only been a couple of listens but my initial impression is that it's not all that interesting. :reject:

I thought I would be excited by a more guitar-driven record but I find the guitar to be slightly annoying, to be honest. The guitar work all sounds the same and a bit grating at times.

I actually felt that way through the first half or so, but I ended up liking all the songs from 'Until the Day is Done' on (I'm a sucker for the Murmur/Reckoning sound). I've only listened to it once, so I still don't know what to think, but it's certainly more enjoyable to me than the last decade or so of their music has been..

u2popmofo said:

(I'm a sucker for the Murmur/Reckoning sound).

Yeah...but...those have a lot of really great songs. To pull off that sound the songs have to be great.

I don't know if any of these songs are really great yet. I'm thinking maybe not but I think some will grow on me.

Until the Day is Done kind of makes me cringe. The lyrics are awful. But on my third listen I'm liking some things more. Mr. Richards, Hollow Man, Sing for the Submarine, Living Well, Accelerate...

Haven't come across any real poetry yet.

I don't know that Michael's lyrics are all that great these days, but I will admit to a huge fondness for the following:

Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl

:lol: Love it.

This is the first time I've really loved a new REM album in a long, long time.

It's been a good week for me musicwise between this and the new Racounteurs CD.

Okay, Horse to Water hasn't clicked yet. But three rockon smilies means it definitely deserves another listen right NOW.

The vocal melodies in Mr. Richards are goooooood. The band hasn't harmonized that well in ages.

Well I forked over $9.99 for it when I could have downloaded it for free. :mad:

I'm starting to hear what they'd sound like live (even though I don't think I can make any of the shows).

Just finished spin #1. In the same camp as jorfulgirl for now. It's kind of meh, but shockingly better than I expected, definitely better than Around the Sun at least, so :up:. The first two songs were terribly bland, the one after that was great, the next few I remember enjoying, until it got more meh near the end. It's a fast listen though, so I enjoy that.

Too many guitars. But it needs less guitars in the way Up has less guitars, and not in the way Around The Sun has less guitars, you know? Yeah...

Horse To Water is my favourite so far....it's actually an amazing album, so many layers, the harmonising throughout the CD is brilliant.

I've only got a chance to listen to it part of the way through, but, so far, I'm fairly unimpressed. Hopefully it will get better as I listen to the rest and re-listen to the album.

Or maybe I've been listening to AFTP too much and my standards are absurdly high.

One thing I can tell, without a doubt: this is R.E.M.'s HTDAAB. I just wish they had COBL.

digitize said:
One thing I can tell, without a doubt: this is R.E.M.'s HTDAAB. I just wish they had COBL.

Haha no way can I agree to that! This album sounds so much fresher than the tired greatest hits package that was HTDAAB. Just the first 3 tracks make me want to jump up and down in joy! REM is DEFINITELY BACK!!!

Back
Top Bottom