Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ha! Then they needed their nameless drummer to shout ONE TWO THREE FOUR before every song. :wink:

Seriously, I don't know who their drummer is these days. I know they had been touring with Joey Waronker (sp?) for a while, and then some other guy?

(Won't you come home, Bill Berry? :sad: )

corianderstem said:
Ha! Then they needed their nameless drummer to shout ONE TWO THREE FOUR before every song. :wink:

Seriously, I don't know who their drummer is these days. I know they had been touring with Joey Waronker (sp?) for a while, and then some other guy?

(Won't you come home, Bill Berry? :sad: )

Their drummers Bill Rieflin. Used to be with Ministry. He's a great drummer. Definitely impressed with him during the Dublin shows last year.

Living Well is the Best Revenge rocks. When was the last time R.E.M. made such a great rocker? Orange Crush?

The rest of the album is OK, some songs are very good (Accelerate and Houston especially), some are not that great. A solid effort, probably their best since Hi-Fi.

I don't mind that the album is relatively short, but there are a few songs here that could have benefited from an extra minute added on. I love Houston, for example, but it ends so suddenly that it ruins it a bit for me.

The title track is fantastic, though. So is Mr. Richards. I like how the first three songs are boom - in your face, although it doesn't make them all great.

Not crazy about the submarine song. I'm Gonna DJ is fun. And I like Until The Day Is Done myself.

Have heard the album today :yes:

Overall, is a fantastic piece, filled with phenomenal material :yes:

... but the sound is truly atrocious. Another example of the pitiful Loudness War :(

Everything is so LOUD, squashed, fatiguing. The dynamics are absolutely non existent. :(

I'm afraid the next U2 album will sound like that

lazarus said:

It roped me in too, as in I wanted to hang myself because it's so fucking tuneless and boring.

Worst song on the album.

Ha ha ha...

thats kind of how I feel too.
I like all of the other songs on Accelerate, but this just sounds like a song they've made 100 times before.

Maybe it will grow on me like some of ATS did

blueeyedgirl said:

Me :waves: Don't think I'm allowed to download at work.. :shifty:

rem2ti5.jpg

I downloaded it at work :D

djerdap said:
Living Well is the Best Revenge rocks. When was the last time R.E.M. made such a great rocker? Orange Crush?

Uhh, how about half of Monster? What's The Frequency, Kenneth bends Living Well over a barrel and cavity checks it. Much better melody, and Buck's guitar on that song isn't just hard, it's dirty and has more of a signature to it.

I'd also say Circus Envy and Star 69 kick a hell of a lot of ass too.

On New Adventures, Departure is an underappreciated rocker.

Living Well is sure better than Lotus and The Wake-Up Bomb, I'll give you that.

U2inUtah said:

Ha ha ha...

thats kind of how I feel too.
I like all of the other songs on Accelerate, but this just sounds like a song they've made 100 times before.

I was reminded of Swan Swan H and King of Birds, specifically.

Does it really need to be said that Until ain't fit to hold those songs' jockstraps? Because it isn't.

I've found the stripped-down ballads on the last two albums pretty unimpressive, but I know I'm not unbiased on my views with those LPs as a whole.

lazarus said:

I absolutely love The Wake-Up Bomb. I was thinking I should put that in the place of one of the other NAIHF songs I had on my top ten list, but I'm too lazy to go and dig up the other thread.

I don't dislike WUP, but some of the lyrics are a little....bad.

"See ya/don't wanna be ya".

Okay, Michael. How about a yo mama joke for good measure?

Are you trying to say that...

Honey dipt flim flam
Hey hey, hey hey
That cat can walk like a big bad man

...is not a good lyric, Laz?! When I think of rock, I think of that. I'll cry myself to sleep tonight now. :(

Wake-Up Bomb kicks so much ass, up and down the block, that it doesn't need good lyrics.

Lunch meat
Pond scum

(commence Bill Berry's drums kicking back into RAWK)

lazarus said:

Uhh, how about half of Monster? What's The Frequency, Kenneth bends Living Well over a barrel and cavity checks it. Much better melody, and Buck's guitar on that song isn't just hard, it's dirty and has more of a signature to it.

I'd also say Circus Envy and Star 69 kick a hell of a lot of ass too.

On New Adventures, Departure is an underappreciated rocker.

Nah, I despise Kenneth. Always hated that song. And Lotus could be better than Living Well, so we disagree on that one as well.

Nobody has mentioned this yet :cool:

Remix the Supernatural Superserious Video

They've created a brillant youtube board on which fans can upload their own versions of Supernatural Superserius videos http://youtube.com/remsuperserious

Everyday fans come up with new and quite fantastic videos

You can get the original cuts on http://www.supernaturalsuperserious.com/ and then remix your own video

Click on each number and you'll be able to download all the 11 zip folders, with a different video each one

and on this site you can download everyday a different official clip
http://ninetynights.com/

AND EVERYTHING'S FOR FREE!
:yes:

Moreover, you can download from videos #4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 nice unplugged versions for free

Downloading Unplugged #7 right now ;)

Remember those days?. REM are cool again! This is as good as what Radiohead did with In rainbows in 2007

Check the dozens of fans videos. Some of them are absolutely phenomenal

up-2rem.jpg

spread the word :yes:

I've downloaded the album and good God this is one great album! Wow, every track is great, awesome melodies, great lyrics, passionate singing and playing, rocking songs all around! I'm very impressed, it's more rock n' roll than Monster. It's got some very punk rock songs (I'm gonna DJ has even some heavy metal guitar hooks). My favorites are Horse To Water (AMAZING ROCKER!!!), Until The Day Is Done, Supernatural Superserious, Mr. Richards, Sing For The Submarine. But they're all amazing really!

When I first heard Supernatural Superserious I thought it was a great rocker and was hoping that it wouldn't be like so many other bands where the first single is the best song from the record and the rest never really tops it. It's defenitly not the case here. All songs in this record are if not great at least pretty damn good. I hope it's a big succes for them!

i'm gonna wait for the album to be released
can't wait!
definitely can't wait until we're gonna see them live!

supernatural superserious is this one that was on MTV?
my sister just told me she saw a new REM video on there....
and i got really excited haha

It must be - it's the first single off the album.

I'm surprised MTV would still show an REM video, considering they're not emo or hip hop.

corianderstem said:
Where've YOU been? It leaked last weekend. :wink:

Remember the last time REM was all like, "Hey kids, check it out we've got this great new album called Around the Sun" but when you reached out to take it you were electrocuted (blue?) because it was so bad?

I'm gun shy.

How do you like it so far?

Back
Top Bottom