Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why don't you call me on your mobile phone and we'll talk about it.

tin-can.jpg

Holy shit!!! Living Well's amazing. Wow, wow, wow, can't wait to listen to the rest of it. This is truly unbelievable.

onebloodonelife said:
Holy shit!!! Living Well's amazing. Wow, wow, wow, can't wait to listen to the rest of it. This is truly unbelievable.

The best song they've ever done! Yep, I said it! It's like These Days, Begin the Begin and Kenneth mixed into one.

By the way, Sing for the submarine... def a big grower!

All right, I caved. Downloaded. Will listen.

Screw the idea of waiting until I have it in my hands. :wink:

Final Straw said:

The best song they've ever done! Yep, I said it! It's like These Days, Begin the Begin and Kenneth mixed into one.

By the way, Sing for the submarine... def a big grower!

I love the anger in Stipe's voice. Great stuff.

Some of the songs are okay, nothing special, but overall, it's a great effort. :up:

I'm liking Sing For The Submarine.

Seems like no one that had previously reviewed the record liked it very much.

I'm so glad that Mike Mills is doing backup vocals again. I missed his interaction with Stipe's voice; they really make a nice vocal duo.

onebloodonelife said:
I'm so glad that Mike Mills is doing backup vocals again. I missed his interaction with Stipe's voice; they really make a nice vocal duo.

Exactly. Thats what makes Living Well... such a good song, is hearing Mills again on those choruses. Well that and its a great rock song!

Until The Day is done is pretty haunting stuff! Stipes vocals on Living Well's are the best he's done in a long while.

How can the likes of Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Arctic Fucks compare to the likes of this?!

They've delivered on the hype.

I've been spinning this since 2:30, 4 straight hours. I think that speaks for itself. They really did deliver with this album.

Final Straw said:

Hyperbole much? It may be a combination of those songs, but it's not as good as any of them.

A step in the right direction, but this album doesn't have anywhere near the depth and power of Monster, let alone the variety or high points of New Adventures and Up. I'll certainly take it over the last two, and it's probably more consistent then Reckoning or Green. Of course, both of those have highlights that eclipse this stuff.

Some specific notes:

The lead three are all fairly successful rockers, but I wouldn't exactly put them into any kind of hall of fame. Consider the 1-2-3 punches of Fables, Lifes Rich Pageant and Document and then tell me you're still impresseed.

The soft-hard thing on Hollow Man just doesn't work. Each part sounds good, especially the upbeat stuff, but it's just clumsily written.

Houston never really gets a chance to get started; two minutes is way too short. The band, like U2 (I hope to god there's no "Marrakesh" on the next album), needs to stop naming songs after cities. This is three albums in a row now, if you include Leaving New York. You've done a lot of travelling, we get it.

The title track is a definite standout, possibly the best thing on here.

The less said about the obvious, tuneless ballad Until the Day is Done the better, and we've discussed the political thing here before.

Mr. Richards is another highlight. Sounds like 80's R.E.M. writing with a modern musical twist.

Sing For the Submarine has the substance most of the album is missing, a very good song.

Horse to Water is again, too short and should have been earlier in the tracklist. For a penultimate track it's a bit slight.

I'm Gonna DJ is some kind of Wake-Up Bomb/Electrolite/It's The End of the World (obviously) fun type thing, but it's rather obnoxious. Not a very good note to end an album on. As bad as any of Stipe's lyrics from the rest of this decade, and it has some stiff competition in that department.

Also, is it me or does Buck's guitar sound rather anonymous on this album? I refer back again to Monster, where he was balls-out but still very unique in his sonic palette.

It's about what I expected from a 30 minute endeavor. Hopefully next time they can mix this newfound spirit with a bit of the polish that marks their best work.

Back
Top Bottom