A bruise-black playlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verhalen

Babyface
Sometimes what's needed (by me anyway) is a playlist of the angriest, darkest music I know and love; intelligent but offensive, no happy endings. U2 hasn't usually fit in for this purpose; U2 usually don't go too far into that region of rage / blasphemy / despair / self-pity, probably to the benefit of their mental health and band chemistry. (The closest candidate might be Acrobat, or Wake Up Dead Man.) Here is a few songs of this nature I gathered up today, and I would like to make it more / longer / worse. I wonder if anyone has suggestions / favorites in a similar vein:

(Artist - song):
Spoon - Written In Reverse
Brand New - Bed
Modest Mouse - Dark Center of the Universe
Sugar - Judas Cradle
Fugazi - 23 Beats Off
Jawbreaker - Accident Prone
Bob Mould - Thumbtack
Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day

Anyone else feel this idea (if not the particular songs) ? Other recommends / favorites ?

I kinda get what you're going for. These may or may not fit:

Morrissey - 'Life Guard Sleeping, Girl Drowning' (title says it all, lyrics make it even worse)
Violent Femmes - 'Country Death Song' (a happy little song about killing your own children)
The Decemberists - 'The Rake's Song' (which to some extent I've always assumed was an ode to Country Death Song in regards to subject matter and song title)
Low - 'Murder'
Okkervil River has a bunch that would likely fit. Here are just a few off the top of my head - 'For Real', 'Westfall', 'Some Come Back, I'm Waiting', 'A Stone', 'No Key, No Plan', etc.

Maybe not what you're going for, but 'The Rat' by The Walkmen is always awesome.

Cool... I will check these out.... when I'm not busy moping about harming my children. (It would cut down on expenses I guess...)

A lot of early Nine Inch Nails does that rage/despair/self pity thing very well. Trent Reznor was a pissed off motherfucker. You could probably just pick a handful of songs off of Pretty Hate Machine or Downward Spiral and they would do the trick. I don't personally bust out my NIN cd's very often, but I think they would work for what you're going for.

I would appreciate a couple of specific Death Cab recommends -- I love the few songs of theirs that I've actually heard. Preferably on the noisier side. That way, I can see the kids talking but can't hear them (I really do like them, but sometimes enough is enough !!).

"Gone" belongs on this, as well as The Fly from San Jose April 2001 (the one and only U2 show I ever made it to). They pretty much detonated it.

sinners & saints - the sky is falling.

Sinners and Saints on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

musically it's probably not quite where you seem to be going (and in the past when i've raved about its awesomeness, both here/elsewhere online and in real life, it never seems to be exactly everyone's cup of tea for whatever reason), but if anything, lyrically it sounds like it fits the description. i've been saying for quite a few years now that it's my all-time favorite album by anyone. can't even begin to count how many times i've listened to it. only 9 songs, and there are two that don't really stand up to the rest of the tracks on there, but definitely something that needs to be listened to from cover to cover, if you can track the whole thing down somewhere. at the very least, check out "marquee lights" and "the sky is falling" off the myspace page. "never too young to die" is great. if you don't love those three, don't bother with "no tomorrow." it's kind of a bummer that whoever is in charge of that site didn't put "dead so soon" up there, because to truly appreciate this thing you really do need to start with the lead track, and i can't imagine not following it up with "nothing at all," before you get to the title track, but that's just because that's how i've been listening to it--everything in its proper order--since i got it. i've never read anything that calls it a concept album, but to me it has always seemed like a very cohesive entity, telling a story with a distinct beginning, middle, and end.

it starts on a dark note, presses on with a hopeless theme throughout, to close with accepting that. both mark and rob lind's respective other bands have plenty of bleak stuff, often more angry than melancholy, and if i don't shut up now i'll probably stray off on a tangent (i think i even made a thread one time about how great i think every band either of those guys have been in were/are) about ramallah/blood for blood/ducky boys/the unloved. so i'll stop now. but i really do love that album, and think it's worth checking out.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: American X
The White Stripes: The Union Forever
U2: Wake Up Dead Man

Back
Top Bottom