A band called Eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Since they have a new album on the horizon (Tomorrow Morning, which has a release date of...this Tuesday), I figured I would make a thread for these guys, just in case there are fans lurking around here.

Eels is pretty much the definition of a hit-or-miss band for me, releasing one of my all-time favorite records (Electro-Shock Blues), along with some that are simply very, very good (Daisies of the Galaxy, Blinking Lights And Other Revelations), and some boring shit (Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs of Desire, End Times). In spite of this, I'm just glad Mr. Everett exists, and that his fractured take on love and life has been channeled into a more prolific stream as of late, even though the recent albums have been kinda crappy (reviews for Tomorrow Morning have been more positive so far, so I'll remain optimistic).

A few of my favorite tracks of theirs, for those who want a sampler, include...

YouTube - Eels - Last Stop This Town

YouTube - EELS - Trouble With Dreams

YouTube - Eels - Jeannie's Diary

And, for fans who will likely be interested, TOUR DATES:

August 24, 2010 Glasgow, UK Academy
August 25, 2010 Edinburgh, UK Picturehouse
August 26, 2010 Birmingham, UK Academy
August 28, 2010 Zurich, Switzerland Winterhur Festival
August 29, 2010 Paris, France Rock en Seine Festival
August 30, 2010 Amsterdam, Holland Paradiso
August 31, 2010 Amsterdam, Holland Paradiso
September 1, 2010 London, UK Brixton Academy
September 3, 2010 Dublin, Ireland Electric Picnic Festival
September 4, 2010 Manchester, UK Academy
September 5, 2010 Luxembourg, Luxembourg Den Atelier
September 6, 2010 Groningen, Holland Oosterpoort
September 7, 2010 Hamburg, Germany Grosse Freiheit
September 8, 2010 Copenhagen, Denmark Vega
September 10, 2010 Berlin, Germany Astra
September 11, 2010 Munich, Germany TonHalle
September 12, 2010 Vienna, Austria Arena
September 13, 2010 Graz, Austria Orpheum
September 14, 2010 Hohenems, Austria Eventcenter
September 15, 2010 Milan, Italy Alcatraz
September 17, 2010 Barcelona, Spain Bikini
September 18, 2010 Madrid, Spain La Riviera
September 19, 2010 Lisbon, Portugal Coliseum
September 22, 2010 Philadelphia, PA World Cafe Live
September 23, 2010 Richmond, VA The National Theater
September 24, 2010 Boston, MA The Royale
September 25, 2010 New York, NY Terminal 5
September 26, 2010 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
September 28, 2010 Montreal, Canada Le National
September 29, 2010 Toronto, Canada The Mod Club Theater
September 30, 2010 Detroit, MI The Crofoot Ballroom
October 1, 2010 Chicago, IL The Metro
October 2, 2010 Milwaukee, WI The Pabst Theater
October 3, 2010 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue
October 5, 2010 Denver, CO The Odgen Theater
October 6, 2010 Salt Lake City, UT The Complex
October 8, 2010 Portland, OR Roseland
October 9, 2010 Seattle, WA The Moore Theater
October 11, 2010 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
October 12, 2010 Los Angeles, CA Henry Fonda Theater

I've quietly accumulated about six Eels albums over time, I'd say that Electro-Shock Blues and Beautiful Freak are my favourites. Usually I'd find this kind of music too wallpaperish for my liking, but I feel that Mark Everett's compelling croak and strong personality really help to elevate it above tasteful indie wallpaper.

Well I've heard of them but I can't name one song. I think I'm gonna download the new album and see what it's like.

they have a song that was in Shrek, no? I Need Some Sleep? i liked that song.

They're in the first three, actually. Not sure how or why this man chose to represent the series to such a degree:

images

Besides, you know, $$$$$.

i have nothing but love for beautiful freak, but could never get into the other albums i've got.

I've only listened to Tomorrow Morning all the way through a couple of times so far, but I'm not really digging it yet. E is... in love and happy! While I am glad for him personally, I am disappointed in the record. Part of what I love about the Eels is their dour take on things (usually). This album is not just upbeat, but... strangely mellow. I do like "Spectacular Girl." Maybe the rest of it'll grow on me.

I've only listened to Tomorrow Morning all the way through a couple of times so far, but I'm not really digging it yet. E is... in love and happy! While I am glad for him personally, I am disappointed in the record. Part of what I love about the Eels is their dour take on things (usually). This album is not just upbeat, but... strangely mellow. I do like "Spectacular Girl." Maybe the rest of it'll grow on me.

everyone knows there are three rules all musicians must abide by, otherwise it equals certain musical death.
1. stay unhappy/angry
2. don't quit drugs
3. don't make money

obviously i'm kidding. and like you said, hey if you're happy and in love--good for you. there is something about it, though, that always makes for a sub-par album once it happens. kind of like when a band/artist cleans up and swears off their particular poison. it doesn't garner the same rage from fans on the internet as supposed "selling out," but it can throw ya for a loop.

a review in a mens mag said "Everett is like that type of friend who you invite round for a drink and then regret it when he starts talking about how his girlfriend's left him and his dog's died. but on this record he's bought some tequilia and is down to shoot some pool." :lol:

Back
Top Bottom