90's Nostalgia: What are your Top 20 Albums of the 1990's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mount Temple

The Fly
Interference,

I have been very nostalgic for the 90's lately. At 39 years old, some of my prime years took place between 1990 - 1999. High School Graduation, University, Trips to Europe, Getting your first apartment (flat) and the enjoyment of relationships with the opposite sex.

The 1990s marked the end not only of a century but also a millennium. The decade leading up to the year 2000 saw a lot of change and excitement, with many important events that shaped not only the 1990s but our lives since then. That change happened in every way you can imagine – politically, technologically, and culturally. With the Cold War over, Nelson Mandela free, and the Internet changing the way we work and live, the events of the 1990s provided the perfect bridge between the outrageous 80s and the dawn of the new century.

It seems to be ringing more true as the years fly by, but the music you enjoy between the ages 10 - 25 really is magical! Those formative years when bands and albums really mattered, they were a part of your identity.

So with this in mind I share my 10 Essentials from this decade.

#1 U2 - ACHTUNG BABY (1991)

[Considering the community I am posting in, I am sure no one is surprised by my first choice]

Waiting outside the Vancouver A&B Sound on a cold night in November for midnight to strike and the U2 frenzy to begin. As the line grew and excited fans met and chatted all things U2, keeping warm by thoughts of exciting new sounds from the boys.

As midnight broke and we filed inside to collect our wares, I was struck by the unique cover of "Achtung Baby". Gone were the earnest black and white covers of the 80's. Replaced by a collage of interesting and conversational pictures of a band on vacation, enjoying themselves and breaking the mold.

After buying the album on multiple formats (CD, Vinyl and Cassette Tape), I raced home for a listen.

How does a band famous for "With or Without You," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for," and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" move on? Listen to the opening track's industrial sounds and follow it through the electronic buzz on "Even Better than the Real Thing," the gentle and poignant "One," the soaring "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses," or the grooves on "The Fly". I heard U2 in a new light.....and I loved it!

In a word: staggering. I don't know if I've ever heard an album which can even come close to capturing the kaleidoscope of sheer emotion that floods from these twelve songs. a brave venture into unknown territory and a brilliant musical transformation for the band. The album is packed with just as much passion as previous albums, but the lyrics are much more emotionally poetic and far less political. Musically, the tracks are a wealth of intoxicating dance beats and lush guitar riffs. "The Fly" opens with guitarist The Edge's trademark reverberations cutting through the opening verse like a speedboat slicing through choppy water; on "Mysterious Ways," Bono's one-man gospel choir belts out the praises of an adored woman.

Easily U2's best, if not the best of the entire 1990's.

#2 DEPECHE MODE - VIOLATOR (1990)

Violator is Depeche Mode's most mainstream, chart-climbing album. Although it contains only nine tracks, half of them are tailor-made for the dance floor. This album was conceived when dance-club DJs were gaining recognition alongside original composers. Heavily influenced by techno-pop, the singles "Policy of Truth," "Enjoy the Silence," and "World in My Eyes" prove that DM did their homework. A particular highlight on this fantastic album is the bluesy guitar line Martin Gore lays down on top of the synth-dominated grooves on "Personal Jesus."

All in all, this had to be DM's tour-de-force, at least as far as their '80's sound. Released in 1990, it closed that chapter in their musical evolution with a bang that left the listeners waiting to hear what would come next. A brilliant album of musical excellence and gothic bliss.

#3 OASIS - (WHAT'S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY? (1995)

It was just one of those odd moments. A beautiful day, and I was walking down the street listening to this album for the first time on my CD player, when I heard them sing: "Another sunny afternoon / walkin' to the sound of my favorite tune..." - and, in that final multiplication of weirdness, that song, Morning Glory, did soon after become one of my favorites as I fell hard for this incredible album.

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? is an expression of raw musical talent. The songs are loud, direct and unapologetic; the lyrics are ambiguous, but sung with real feeling. The tone shifts from the sunny Hey Now! and hard-driving, almost fierce Morning Glory to the more introspective Don't Look Back In Anger and Champagne Supernova, but even in its introspection, (What's the Story) is loud, direct and unapologetic. She's Electric, the only comical song (and pretty darn funny too), somehow doesn't break the mood.

Wonderwall, of course, is - Wonderwall. You could buy the album just for that song alone. When I think about it, though, I sometimes forget Wonderwall is even on here, the same way the rest of Talking Heads' Remain in Light shines seperately from Once in a Lifetime. Wonderwall in (What's the Story) is like the star on top of a Christmas Tree.

It's hard to compare Oasis with any other band from their era - at least, any other good one. Blur was more cerebral and affected, Suede was more sensual, and Morrissey's solo career was in transition. Whether or not Oasis was better than any of those acts is a matter of opinion, but their broad appeal certainly doesn't make them any worse, either. Personally I think they had something many of those other acts lacked, a kind of sincerity. There's something about that old-fashioned brand of rock - songs that just wear well, that bear listening over and over, chorus after ecstatic chorus. A soon to be classic, if it's not already.

#4 RADIOHEAD - OK COMPUTER (1997)

Radiohead's third album got compared to Pink Floyd a lot when it came out, and its slow drama and musical sweep certainly put it in that category. OK Computer, though, is a complicated and difficult record: an album about the way machines dehumanize people that's almost entirely un-electronic.

As I listened to it from start to finish for the first time in 1997. I found the jolting guitar at the start of "Airbag" disconcerting, I now took comfort in it. Suddenly, I was able to see the epic beauty of "Paranoid Android". Subterranean Homesick Alien" became more than just another radio song; I finally heard and understood the simultaneous tranquility and desperation in its lyrics (Yorke makes alien abduction sound like quite the sublime experience). "Exit (Music For A Film)" and "Let Down" proved exquisite in both their pain and their majesty. And, on "Lucky" and "The Tourist" I found songs in which I could literally lose myself. Most importantly, I found a moment in each song that touched my soul (when Thom Yorke sings "it's going to be a glorious day" for the second time on "Lucky"; or when the chanting begins on "Paranoid Android"; or Yorke's sweet scream of "you'll know where you are" near the end of "Let Down").

It would be another four or five listens before I could fully process the thematic content of the lyrics on the album. Once I did, the power of the album truly struck me. On OKC, Radiohead vocalize the anxieties we all share about living in this microwaved age, but are too scared or deadened to verbalize ourselves. Are we sacrificing our humanity at the altar of technological advancement? Radiohead seem to reach a pretty bleak conclusion on OKC, but, in the end, the album moved me so much that I understood. What I've come to love about Radiohead's music is its very inaccessibility. It is NOT easy. It is (to employ an overused critical term) DIFFICULT.

I affectionately call "OK Computer" my learning album. I had to learn to love it, and I would not have had it any other way.

#5 NIRVANA - NEVERMIND (1991)

If Nevermind's sound is familiar now, it's only because thousands of rock records that followed it were trying very hard to cop its style. It tears out of the speakers like a cannonball, from the punk-turbo-charged riff of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" onward, exposing the wounded rage of 15 years of the rock underground into a single roar. Few albums have occupied the cultural consciousness like this one; of its 12 songs, roughly 10 are now standards. The record's historical weight can make it hard to hear now with fresh ears, but the important urgency of Kurt Cobain's screams is still shocking.

If you were born shortly before or after the death of Kurt Cobain, it's hard to imagine how revolutionary this CD was. When "Nevermind" exploded, it drew the line in rock. Bands that were otherwise obscure (Mudhoney, L7, Screaming Trees) were signed to major labels and enjoyed radio-play. Alternative bands that had been around for a few years that were already signed (Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains) became huge overnight. The early 90s was a really exciting time in rock. Radio had been infested with the likes of bad R&B, Pop and 4th generation hair rock BUT for a while, everything was new and fresh.

The only real drawback for me is that the revolution of "Nevermind" made people close minded about bands they had only just recently loved. Although it is a blessing that some of these bands were shown the door, i.e., Slaughter, a lot of good bands were discarded and trashed rightfully or not. "Nevermind" was certainly the death nail to all old-school rock.

#6 PEARL JAM - TEN (1991)

The album, named after the Jersey number of basketball star, Mookie Blaylock, has been considered as being among the finest and most influential albums written during the 90s, and with reason. Before 91, Michael Jackson was atop the charts, the king of pop. It was not until the rise of Nirvana, and subsequently Pearl Jam, that the 'King' was dethrowned. Armed with epic, sweeping hard rock anthems and the bleedingly powerful vocals from Eddie Veddar, Pearl Jam found itself atop the charts themselves.

Apart from all that, Ten is Pearl Jam's best. The album perfectly combines Eddie Vedder's confessional lyrics with the grunge sound that helped make Seattle the center of the musical universe for the early 90's. Often they are compared with Nirvana, but the band's approaches are very different. Where as Nirvana were influenced by punk, PJ are more influenced by the 70's hard rock sound of Zeppelin, Sabbath and the like. "Once", "Even Flow" & "Alive" have growling Eddie Vedder vocals with driving guitars while songs like "Black", "Oceans" & "Deep" are slower and more pensive. "Jeremy" can still inspire while the pro-choice number "Porch" foreshadows the political stances the band would take in the future. The band is always thought of being so serious, but the album title shows a sense of fun. They are big basketball fans and at one point the band went by the name of Mookie Blaylock who was an NBA point guard for the Nets and Hawks. Due to legal issues, the band changed its name, but Ten is a tribute to Mookie as that was his uniform number. Title aside, Ten is a brilliant rock album and it justifiable made Pearl Jam the superstars they are today.

#7 SMASHING PUMPKINS-SIAMESE DREAM (1993)

The drum rolls, then falls away for a building electric guitar, a drum, and a searingly vibrant wall of sound that rises before your very ears. This is the start of "Siamese Dream," a vintage Smashing Pumpkins album and one of the best, most underrated alternative rock albums ever released.

Opening with a bang is the dizzying "Cherub Rock," a song that serves as a perfect springboard into the heart of this album. It can shift in an instant between pulse-pounding (the deceptively-named "Quiet") and more progressive ("Hummer"). Corgan's range stretches even to the quiet ("Sweet Sweet"), the dramatic ("Disarm" with its bells and violins) or the catchy ("Spaceboy").

Perhaps the most outstanding thing about the Pumpkins is their seamless blend of metal, neo-psychedelica and art-rock. The blasting electric riffs, sprawling melodies, and the whirling, sinuous guitars are all interwoven without so much as a sonic burp. At first glance, it seems like a fairly typical rock/metal album, but upon further listening, the alluringly complicated music begins to filter itself fully into your brain. Corgan's lyrics aren't for the perky among you -- angsty and introspective, while avoiding the trap of self-pity.

It's difficult to find a musical flaw with the Pumpkins in "Siamese Dream." Corgan's high voice flitters between murmuring and wailing. Backing him up are James Iha's layered, whirling guitar riffs and Jimmy Chamberlain's controlled, fast drumming. Acoustic guitar also gets to shine at the start of "Disarm." What sounds like church bells is even used.

Fiercely adventurious, brooding and expressive, "Siamese Dream" is a breathtaking ride into a majestic rock world all its own. Inventive and enticing, this is a modern classic.

#8 NIRVANA - IN UTERO (1993)

"I miss the comfort in being sad," Kurt Cobain grovels harshly on the excellent mid-tempo rocker, "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle," a sparse and raw tune that typifies the overall sound of "In Utero." Cobain and company establish a rougher-edged sound right away on "In Utero," rawer than the previous Nevermind album, though not as raw as the band's debut, Bleach, perhaps somewhere in between. The chorus to "Serve the Servants," the opening song, is as catchy as any previous Nirvana tune, just somewhat more plodding and low key. Inescapable from this great disc is the slower, thicker, even woodsy sound that may not grab a hold of listeners like the previous album so overwhelmingly did.

Future Foo Fighter Dave Grohl contributes the over-the-top Sabbath-like riff to "Scentless Apprentice," as Cobain howls the chorus meant to scare all his fans away. Needless to say, this is not a happy album. The lyrics are cynical, isolated and sad, though there are tiny moments of inspiration. The dark feel to "In Utero" was likely created in response to "Nevermind's" sparkling, rip-roaring introduction into the 1990s that sounds highly fan-friendly in comparison. The slow-paced "Dumb" from "In Utero" perhaps could have been a radio hit, but the lyrics are simply too depressing, probably best left for true Nirvana fans; the same holds true for the Pollyesque "PennyRoyal Tea."

On the faster side of things, "Very Ape" is a catchy and vibrant rocker that reveals Cobain's belief in reincarnation. "Milk It" possesses the incomparable formula that Cobain made famous and classic -- start soft and then knock listeners over later with a huge screaming chorus. No one else could properly replicate or match that formula, though too many bands tried. For my money, "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" is the album's top song; listening to Cobain grovel "What is wrong with me?" over and over seems to fit the tone of "In Utero." "Tourette's" is as quick and punk as it gets, a properly named ditty that comes and goes before you know what hit you.

Kurt Cobain was simply incapable of writing bad songs or screwing around with fluffy music. He left this world a winner, making "In Utero" on his own terms. It's truly a guitar, bass and drums rock album -- no extra frills like backup singers, keyboards, overly used strings or an extra rhythm guitar to mix with Cobain's lead. There are no trappings of the rich and famous rock band overdoing things in the studio. As far as the recording, Steve Albini did a great job getting the raw sound Cobain requested, with no extra juice to the vocals. Additionally, Dave Grohl's drums throughout the record are thumping and fantastic.

No disrespect meant, but Cobain was far from a man at peace with himself and the world. "In Utero" is not for the faint of heart or for people who want Nirvana spoon fed to them. Yet, if you want to hear truly genuine, no-nonsense music that is more riveting each time you sink your teeth into it, give "In Utero" a try.

#9 SMASHING PUMPKINS - MELLON COLLIE AND THE INFINITE SADNESS (1995)

"Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" avoids the pitfalls of many double albums -- too much filler, too few good songs, not enough of the good stuff. Instead, this is in the spirit of the Beatles' "White Album" or Pink Floyd's "The Wall." Billy Corgan's tight writing and the Smashing Pumpkins's brilliant instrumentation make this sweeping double album a must-have.
The first disc, "Dawn to Dusk," builds up slowly with a mournful piano song, only to bounce into the sweeping "Tonight Tonight." Forming the rest are sizzling rockers ("Jellybelly," "Zero"), sparkling softer songs ("Cupid De Locke"), and quiet alt-rock ("Galapagos") and a few songs that stray into unknown musical turf (the sweeping ten minute "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans"). "Take Me Down" ends the first disc on the same quiet note that it began on.

Second disc "Twilight To Starlight" starts off on a very different foot. Jerky guitar riffs and drumming start off, sounding like a warm up, before exploding into the solid "Where Boys Fear To Tread." Having gotten that over with, Corgan and Co. switch into a somewhat quieter collection: gentle acoustics ("Thirty-Three," "Stumbleine," the sweet "In the Arms of Sleep"), catchy alt-rock (new-wavey "1979," "Thru The Eyes of Ruby"), blistering hard rock ("Tales of a Scorched Earth," "XYU"). The gentle "Farewell and Goodnight" rounds off the double album on a quiet note.

"Mellon Collie" has just about every kind of music you can hope to find -- ballads, prog, metal, alt-rock, and so on.

Billy Corgan's reedy voice weaves seamlessly into the complex music, singing songs about loneliness, pessimism and longing for love. His songwriting is exceptional here ("breathing under water, and living under glass..."); his style is best described as poetry set to music. James Iha also dips into songwriting with "Take Me Down" and cowritten "Farewell and Goodnight." Guitar riffs both furious and gentle, sweeping strings, piano, Chamberlin's percussion and D'arcy's good bass work move up and down the scale, from soft to hard.

#10 RADIOHEAD - THE BENDS (1995)

Since the Bends turned Radiohead into one of the world's preeminent rock bands, the band has moved away from the more traditional song structures featured on The Bends in favor of new ways to express their themes of alienation, isolation, and seething rage.

But the Bends is still one of Radiohead's best works, and for obvious reasons. Epic in scope without being self-indulgent, The Bends takes the distorted guitars of grunge and adds a sense of melodrama and good old rock-n-roll majesty that, at that time, had been missing from popular music for almost two decades. In blending the two together, along with adding their own distinctly British personality, Radiohead makes The Bends a landmark recording that still feels fresh today seven years after its initial release.

The record has that wonderful touch of arrogance that transforms the band from one-hit brooders (as on "Creep") to bonafide rock gods. The guitars on the opening "Planet Telex" thunder in, heralding the band's arrival to the rock stratosphere, and the album just goes and goes from there. Every song works, be it balls out rock songs ("Bones"), or quieter, ghostly pieces ("Street Spirit," "Fake Plastic Trees"). All of it is tied together by lead singer Thom Yorke's voice. Credit Yorke with somehow making a voice that should, by all accounts, be incredibly irritating resonate and echo in the mind of the listener. It's alternately haunting, raging, and powerful; even making the transition from gentle lullabying to Billy Idol-quality snarling in the course of a single song ("Nice Dream"). It's a wonderful performance, and the band underneath matches him note for note.

Radiohead has released records more complex (OK Computer), more challenging (Kid A), and more ambiguous (In Rainbows) than The Bends. But they've never made a better "rock" record. And, in a way, that's a good thing. Free from the burden of having to create their masterpiece (which this is), they've branched out in new directions to see how far they can push the outer limits of both their music and their collective psyche. It is that later work that makes Radiohead one of the world's most important bands, but it is The Bends that saved the group from the "One Hit Wonder" status of "Creep".

Thank you for reading.

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. U2 - Zooropa
3. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
4. The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
5. Weezer - The Blue Album
6. Super Furry Animals - Radiator
7. Elliott Smith - Either/Or
8. Built to Spill - Keep It Like A Secret
9. Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
10. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

All-time favorites I couldn't find room for because the 90s were just too good:

U2 - Achtung Baby/Pop
Beck - Midnite Vultures
The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart/Clouds Taste Metallic/The Soft Bulletin
Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Aquemini
Pulp - Different Class
Wilco - Summerteeth

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. For me the top five are pretty well settled:

1. Portishead: Dummy
2. Depeche Mode: Violator
3. Bjork: Homogenic
4. Radiohead: OK Computer
5. U2: Achtung Baby

After that it gets a bit tougher. You can probably throw In Utero, What's the Story Morning Glory, and Murder Ballads in the top ten as well.

Should I only include albums that I actually liked in the '90's, and make me feel nostalgic, or albums that I got into after the '90's?

Regardless, everyone has listed some absolutely fantastic albums.

Should I only include albums that I actually liked in the '90's, and make feel nostalgic, or albums that I got into after the '90's? Regardless, everyone has listed some absolutely fantastic albums.

Do both, you goon.

U2 - Achtung Baby

Is there really a question here? It's my 3rd favorite album ever as it is.

Pulp - Different Class
Pulp is one of the many bands I likely never would have listened to, were it not for LemonMelon. I can't thank him enough, because they're now one of my favorite bands ever. Not many artists out there that can make you want to cry, and then slap the singer in the same song, but Jarvis is just the right amount of perv to pull it off.

Ride - Nowhere

I don't want to say my shoe-gazing days are over, but I'm definitely out of that phase for right now. That doesn't stop this album from making me weak in the knees. Songs like "Polar Bear" and, of course, "Vapour Trail" are the high points that any band should wish to attain.

Radiohead - The Bends

I will never be the Radiohead fan that most music lovers seem to be and perhaps the reason is right here. Nothing they have ever done comes close to touching The Bends in my opinion. The only other albums I even listen to by them on a regular basis are the other 90s albums. There was something so wonderfully vibrant about those albums, that, even on OK Computer began to slip away as the band became so focused on being something different. I thought they already were different and I just never quite enjoyed what followed this album.

Crowded House -Together Alone
As much as LemonMelon may be responsible for my love of Pulp, I have to thank Axver and the rest of the Superthread for introducing me to Crowded House. Until I "met" them, I wrote this band off as an 80s one-hit wonder with that one-hit being a song I hated. Time heals all wounds, though and I even love "Don't Dream It's Over" now. The one detriment to this album could possibly be the length, but I find almost every song to be worth its placement, so I can hardly say it's a problem.

The Magnetic Fields - Holiday
This is an album pick that changes on the regular. I went ahead and just stuck to the one I have on my list in this position, but I can't tell you how sweet Distant Plastic Trees was looking just now. I basically love nearly everything The Magnetic Fields have ever done, so choosing an album to represent them all is a difficult one. I tend to go with Holiday for two reasons: 1) It has Merritt on vocals, and, even though I love the female vocalist from the first two albums, I know I'm in a minority and 2) It's not 3-discs long.

REM - Automatic for the People

When I actively attempted to better immerse myself in albums (rather than individual tracks, like I had been doing) Automatic for the People was one of the first albums I bought. I thought that I was just convincing myself that it was my favorite of theirs for nostalgia's sake, but the more I hear it, the more it is driven home that this album is nearly perfect. Added to that the simple fact that it has just TOO many good songs to ignore: Man on the Moon > Nightswimming > Find the River...is there a better closing trio out there?

Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Music was made for the break-up album. This is one of the absolute best out there. It's absolutely heart-wrenching to hear Petty on some of these tracks. The one problem with it (unlike Together Alone) is that it IS too long. Lots of throwaways on here, but the sheer number of all-time greats more than makes up for it.

Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell II

I don't think I need to say much, because I highly doubt I'm going to convince anyone that Bat Out of Hell II is worth their time. But, please, if someone is up for the challenge, give it a go. I personally don't think you'll be disappointed. Meat Loaf belts out anthems like no one else. Listening to this album is pure arena rock joy.

Weezer - Blue Album
Tis good, gang. For those who saw my myriad edits, hopefully you'll understand why I'm done trying to write something.

The remainder from my top 100:
Distant Plastic Trees
His 'n' Hers
Out of Time
Crash
Us
Little Earthquakes
I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
Images and Words
OK Computer
What's the Story Morning Glory

For reference sake, this was my top 10 before I made a concerted effort to better explore music from the 90s:
U2 - Achtung Baby
Crowded House - Together Alone
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Radiohead - The Bends
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
Pulp - Different Class
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Oasis- (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Peter Gabriel - Us

In no order, probably something like:

The Flaming Lips The Soft Bulletin
Weezer Pinkerton
Radiohead Ok Computer
Harvey Danger Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?
Oasis What's The Story Morning Glory
Pearl Jam Vs.
Nirvana In Utero
U2 Achtung Baby
Death Cab For Cutie Something About Airplanes
Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie
Sunny Day Real Estate LP2

Oh wait. That's 11. Meh. I don't care that it's 11.

So, I see you think that Harvey Danger album is worth hearing...:hmm:. I've been debating listening to that one for years.

Over Diary? :hmm:

Yeah. Diary is actually my 3rd favorite by them. How It Feels To Be Something On, some days, is my favorite of theirs.

So, I see you think that Harvey Danger album is worth hearing...:hmm:. I've been debating listening to that one for years.

One of my favorite albums of the late 90s. Some really, really good non-Flagpole Sitta stuff on that album.

Uhoh;

Robert Christgau
17px-Rating-Christgau-dud.png

I always liked Harvey Danger's cover of 'Save It For Later'. I don't remember much of their actual original material though....

Lovely original post, Mount Temple! Always good to read about music nostalgia. :up:

My Top 10 would be very similar to yours. :wink:

U2 - Achtung Baby
U2 - Pop
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory
Pearl Jam - Ten
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

There's tons more!

I always liked Harvey Danger's cover of 'Save It For Later'. I don't remember much of their actual original material though....

Flapole Sitta was such a thing when I was a kid. I didn't expect a single other song on the album to sound like it, and it didn't. A lot of typical midwest emo, but maybe just a tiny bit of D-Plan as well. Wasn't a bad album, but I'll likely not return to it.

Prompted me to listen to Americana, though.

Yeah, I liked that cover as well. And hated flagpole sitta. And never heard another song of theirs otherwise.

Carlotta Valdez, Terminal Annex, and Old Hat are where it's at. And Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo off King James Version.

90's Nostalgia Part II: Top Albums 11-20

So upon realizing the 90's had quite a few more gems than the "Top Ten", I had previously mentioned. I figured we could further open the subject up to more "loved albums from the 90's" and why is that? What makes that particular album special?

#11 WEEZER - WEEZER (a.k.a. THE BLUE ALBUM) (1994)

Blending the best aspects of pop, punk and grunge, Weezer's eponymous debut came as a much needed bit of relief to the too-serious American indie scene of 1994. Produced (and strongly influenced) by former Cars frontman Ric Ocasek, Weezer blends churning, power-pop guitars with Beach Boys harmonies and the awkward lyrics of singer/songwriter Rivers Cuomo. On standout tracks such as "In The Garage" and "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here", Weezer introduced the wider world to the then-new concept of Geek Rock. However, it was "Buddy Holly"--and its corresponding Spike Jonze-directed video--that propelled this album into the charts. Unfortunately, this song also branded them as nothing more than another novelty act, an unfair fate for an album--and band-- that's since had so much influence.

#12 GUNS N' ROSES - USE YOUR ILLUSION I & II (1991)

The consensus among most critics and the general public is that both "Use Your Illusion" albums contain a lot of filler. It has often been said that a single album, with the best of both volumes, would have been better than two separate albums. Although this is the general consensus among Joe Public, the hard-core Guns N' Roses fans know better.

In my opinion, the Illusion albums have very little filler. It would also be hard to have a single album with songs from each disc, as each Illusion album is its own entity. The Illusion set is not a single album with two separate discs. Both volumes are albums in their own right, with a different tone, vibe, and feeling. The colors on the album covers represent the atmosphere of the albums. "Use Your Illusion I" is brighter, more up-beat, glossier. "Use Your Illusion II" is more reflective, and overall darker.

Between both volumes, there is over two and a half hours of music. Both volumes need to be nursed and savored. The listener needs time to let it all sink in. Some of these songs are fast paced rockers in the vein of "Appetite For Destruction." Other songs are longer, up to ten minutes in length, with intricate solos and complex arrangements, in short, art-rock.

With an album like "Appetite For Destruction" under their belt, any follow-up would be criticized. But much had changed for GN'R since they hit it big. They were now multi-millionaires and no longer living in poverty in cheap apartments in L.A. Also, the lineup of the band had changed. Drummer Steven Adler was fired, and replaced by Matt Sorum. Sorum's drumming was slicker, more technically proficient. Also added to the lineup was keyboardist Dizzy Reed. The new GN'R was more polished, less rough-around-the-edges than they had been in the days of AFD.

GN'R branched out artistically for their follow-up, and naturally received a lot of criticism. Common complaints are--the band went soft, too much filler, to arty, etc.

To address these criticisms: (1) The band did not go soft. There are ballads, but there are also a lot of rockers. A lot of the singles were the ballads, so someone unfamiliar with these albums might conclude that the band went soft by listening to the radio/MTV and conclude that these songs (Don't Cry, November Rain) represent the album, when in fact, they do not. (2) As for there being too much filler, that is a matter of opinion. I happen to think that each song ranges from very good-to classic. A lot of GN'R's very best songs are buried in the set. Because there is so much music, a lot of the songs remain unknown to the general public and are therefore considered "filler." (3)A lot of these songs are art-rock. They are often long in length and are not instantly assessable-and are therefore dismissed. A lot of these songs are quite intricate and take time to fully appreciate.

Bottom Line: When Guns N' Roses were good, they were very, very good, and some of the material on this album is unsurpassable.

#13 SOUNDGARDEN - SUPERUNKNOWN (1994)

I've listened to lots of music, and "Superunknown" doubtlessly stands as arguably the bands best album I have ever heard. Visionary, perfectly executed and technically impeccable, Soundgarden set the standard for dark hard rock with this one.

I can't really think of a place to start in praising this album, but Chris Cornell's vocals are as good a place as any. From the hushed tones of "Fell on Black Days" to the cathartic wailing of tunes like "My Wave" and the propulsive singing of "Fourth of July," Cornell can simply do it all. His dark, churning, guitar riffs, aided by Kim Thayil's soaring, distorted solos, complete the powerful atmosphere of these songs. Add in Matt Cameron's nimble and inventive drumwork and the result is a musical masterpiece.

The variety of this album is also noteworthy, as it mixes hard rockers like the perfect "Spoonman" along with the opening double shot of "Let Me Drown" and "My Wave" melding into slower, more melodic numbers like the hits "Fell on Black Days" and "The Day I Tried To Live. but most of this vicious disc leaps straight for your jugular. The megahit "Black Hole Sun," is easily the best track on the album.

"Superunknown" boasts all that serious music fans could possibly want, from creativity to technical precision to complex arrangements to a truly masterful and powerful overall vocal performance from Chris Cornell. A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Generations in the post-millennial future will one day refer to this record to discover exactly how 1990s rock & roll was.

#14 HOLE - LIVE THROUGH THIS (1994)

If you can listen to this album, unbiased, you will come out of it a better person. Courtney's cries about, not just feminism, but prophetic loss and being jerked around are so incredibly heartfelt. P.S.-to those who say Kurt wrote some of the album's hooks, forget it-Courtney and Eric(Erlandson-the lead guitarist) wrote some of these songs before she even met Kurt-and there is recordings to prove it.

"Miss World" has an entrancing, "Malibu"-esque type ambiance. The chords on "Jennifer's Body" and "Gutless" are written and arranged so beautifully, you'd think Patti Smith became a guitarist and these are her vocals transformed into music. Their is no doubt this album turned me onto Hole and the beauty of the band, Courtney and Kristen's angelic harmonising in songs like "Asking For It" and "Softer, Softest." Courtney's obvious skill in harmony was even evident then, ever evolving into now, with new bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur taking a more crucial vocal role and adding extra grace to Courtney's edge. Patty Schemel may just be one of the greatest rock drummers in history.

This whole album is filled with scathing fury, mostly directed at the impossible situation that confronts women when they are asked to be both wild sources of pleasure and virginal mother figures. This album is plain and simply: outstanding.

#15 U2 - ZOOROPA (1993)

Zooropa. The only U2 album made by U2, for U2, with little to no concern about what anyone thought about it. Perhaps they realized the sound was so ahead of its time that, for once, it didn’t matter if anyone bought it. A one-chord electro-blitz about a crashed car? Johnny Cash taking over for Bono, playing a futuristic post-apocalyptic cowboy? Bono singing in falsetto for 7 minutes about lemons? This is what U2 are capable of when they aren’t concerned with world domination through a hit album.

Strange, Confounding, Joyous, Introspective, Conceptual....are some singular words to describe the beautiful baby of Achtung.

Upon hearing this for the first time, I was convinced that U2 were now viewing themselves as 4 David Bowie's and I relished the thought of their very own "Berlin Trilogy" which is Achtung, Zooropa and Pop. Most conservative fans don't understand them but the insiders do. U2 unfortunatly
would start the next Millenium playing it safe, leaving me fondly recalling the days when the "inmates took over the asylum".

#16 PEARL JAM - Vs (1993)

After the amazing success of Pearl Jam's first record Ten, some wondered how they would follow up their impeccable success to one of the most popular and highest selling albums to emerge from the Seattle "grunge" movement in the early 90's. Hence, Pearl Jam triumphantly returned with their most blistering and powerful album ever conceived. By taking the raw and unmitigated audacity and power inherent in Ten with the unmistakable guitar talents of Mike McCready, and Jeff Amaent, the ferocity of Jeff Ament on Bass, and Dave Abbruzesse nailing away at the drums like an animal hyped up on acid who hasn't eaten for days, Eddie Vedder nails the lyrics to the wall for all to read and contemplate, as Pearl Jam come to the forefront of what they would record in their entire catalog with this wholely impeccable and flawless album.

From songs about Vedder's disgust for law-enforcement officials in WMA (due from an encounter he and an Afican-American friend had while standing outside of PJ's recording studio), to breaking up and forgetting about a loved one in RearView Mirror, each song is a relentless assault on your audial cavities, as each song holds such power and meaning that few could argue that this sophmore effort was not only one of Pearl Jam's best albums, but one of the best rock-albums of all time. From the opening track Go we are greeted with an audial burst of creativty, as the guitar solos have become more compressed, and diligently placed along with the vocals, thus creating a faster paced and more accutely accurate portrayal of the bands increased talent and intensity, along with the ability to create songs that echoed the shadow of the early to mid 90's.

There are no throwaway songs, as the album meshes together in such a way that you just pop the cd in let it play and let your senses take over. For you radio friendly types though heres the list: Go, Animal, Daughter, Dissident, RearView Mirror, and Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town (you just gotta love that name), each of these songs was a hit radio single, and the other songs in between just help bridge the gap between the songs included beforehand. However, it is in songs such as Leash, where Vedder lets the parents know to drop the leash and get out his Fu**ing face that we see just what PJ was striving for; the ability to do what we want without the restrictions of not only our parents, but perhaps even society as well holding us back. Perhaps it is in the heartfelt and closing meditation of Indifference, that as the album closes we find ourselves taken back from the intensity of their whole opus, as we lay back in our chair and let the soothing closure of this amazingly conceived album come to a close, as the second chapter of PJ's history comes to a close only to be followed up the obscure and
experimntal masterpiece that was Vitalogy.

#17 OASIS - DEFINITELY MAYBE (1994)

In 1994, Grunge rock had deteriorated from the fresh, brooding energy of Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana to the contrived repetitions of Bush and Silverchair. The once mighty Pearl Jam ("Ten," and "Vs.") had evaporated artistically with Eddie Vedder's recession into increasingly greater self-obsession and personal misery. The era was clearly in its final throes and rock fans were primed for something different. A record that spoke to the idea of rock as possibility and exuberance.

Into this greasy world of longhaired suicide cases and pseudo-nihilism came Liam and Noel Gallagher with brash English smiles and swaggering Manchester impudence. "Definitely Maybe" is an album seemingly replete with one simple message - I wanna be a rock-`n'-roll star! It is this mantra that makes the record, and indeed the band itself, so important in an era where mediocre substance too often supersedes rock's spirit. "Definitely Maybe" brings us back to the days when lusty-eyed youths willed fame and fortune through guitar strings and makes us forget the languid, whining, shallow psychology that cried its way into so much of 90's rock.

While each song on the album stands on its own, it is the entirety of this effort that warrants notice. The message is clear: "In my mind my dreams are real," Liam grinds in the opening track, unsurprisingly named "Rock `N' Roll Star." And while so many of the songs are just out-and-out Brit-rock fun (i.e. "Shakermaker," "Up in the Sky," "Digsy's Diner," etc.), there are several seriously arresting tracks as well. "Supersonic" features Oasis at their punkiest, while "Slide Away" seems to transcend the album itself, leaning, in a way, toward much of Oasis' more mature work yet to come. "Cigarettes and Alcohol" is as appropriate a maxim as can be expected from the Gallagher's - defiant, working-class urban dissenters first and artists second. And "Live Forever" is a salient single with some of the greatest in recent rock lyricism: "Maybe I just wanna fly / wanna live, I don't wanna die / Maybe I just wanna breathe / maybe I just don't believe / Maybe you're the same as me / we see things they'll never see / You and I are gonna live forever."

"Definitely Maybe" is not an album of subtle orchestration or complex conception, but then that was never the point. In the mid-90's, as in the mid-70's, rock had begun to take itself too seriously as a genre, and had consequently rendered itself an overblown parody. Oasis is to grunge what the Sex Pistols (and Punk in general) were to 70's rock - a slap on the wrist. A reminder that rock is not about art - it is about anti-art. It is about fun; expression; defiance. And with these as standards, "Definitely Maybe" is an album that immerses itself deeply within the spirit of rock stardom as it was once perceived - and an album that proves beyond any doubt that the spirit is still alive.

#18 R.E.M. - AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE (1992)

This is the pinnacle of the band's achievements and this cannot be disputed. REM has come a long way since the early days of college music and Michael Stipe having mustard in his hair. If the enormous success of Out of Time didn't establish them as one of the greatest bands of the 80's & 90's, this album leaves absolutely no doubt about that!
REM tones things down on this masterpiece and makes wide ranging social commentary. "Drive" starts by instucting voters not to get "Bushwhacked" in the line "smack, crack, bushwhacked, tie another one to the rack, baby". The hauntingly beautiful "Everybody Hurts" has won numerous MTv awards and these are all justified. Many critics believe that this suicide ballad is very depressing, but upon closer inspection it is in fact an incredibly uplifting song. "Take comfort in your friends" and "you are not alone" shows that there is hope and solice to be found in those around us. "Try not to Breathe" is often refered to as commenting on euthanasia and Dr. Death's practises. "monty got a Raw Deal" discusses the life and career of actor Montgomery Cliff and the happenings during his life. The legendary Andy Kaufman is immortalised in the track "Man on the Moon" and later in the movie by the same name. the orchestral arrangement on "Nightswimming" is breathtaking while the final track "Find the River" leaves us a hope-filled final line:"All of this is coming your way".

Comparisons will always be made. It is important not to make this comparison according to sales figures, but based on the contribution that an album makes to the industry. This album's value cannot be underestimated. It has severed as inspiration to artists like the late Kurt Cobain, Counting Crows and Live. Some have gone as far as to compare it favourable to the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's".

This is a must have album, not only to fans of the band, but to lovers of exceptional music.

#19 RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - BLOOD SUGAR SEX MAGIK (1991)

With valuable assistance from producer Rick Rubin, the Peppers find just the right blend of punk, funk, and hip-hop. Even with a running time of 74 minutes, this 1991 breakthrough has continuity and cohesion both within and across the 17 cuts. Riding Flea's surging bass, Anthony Kiedis delivers his explicit lyrics with a rapper's flair, extolling the virtues (and outlining the dangers) of sex and drugs. Plaintive ballads such as "Breaking the Girl," "I Could Have Lied," and the hit "Under the Bridge" give the album depth and provide contrast to the raw energy of "Mellowship Slinky in B Major," "Funky Monks," and "Give It Away." Rubin masterfully fuses John Frusciante's raunchy guitar with the irresistible grooves.

#20 U2 - Pop (1997)

Pop is the dirty uncle of the trilogy - the kind of relative the family would like to lock up and shut into a back room. Pop is the most difficult of all of U2's releases.

With the massive "ZooTV" tour and record-combo of "Achtung Baby" and "Zooropa" behind them, the attitude as U2 re-convined in 1995 for a work on a new record was decidedly progressive: they would continue to push the envelope as far as they could musically, technologically, and conceptually. Because of technological aspect of it, this was U2's hardest record to produce. It took so long to complete that it went into what was supposed to have been tour rehearsal time(for the new "Popmart Tour", which was to be bigger and more massive than even "ZooTV"). As a result they were not ready when the tour started in Las Vegas. More importantly, the string of critical success that U2 had going back to the late 80s finally came to an end in 1997 when "Pop" was released, as the reviews were very lukewarm, even poor. U2 were disappointed with its sales...and the fact that "Pop" sold 6,000,000 copies should tell you something about their standards.
U2's peak was over, but I will forever hold that this record was unfairly criticized just because it was so different from everything U2 did before it, but that's a staple of U2's career: change. 'Do You Feel Loved', 'If God Will Send His Angels', 'Staring At The Sun', 'Last Night On Earth', 'Gone', 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress', and 'Please' are just great songs. Also standing out is the closer, a song of desperation and despair, 'Wake Up Dead Man'. This album may have seemed about lemons and arches and colors and videos making fun of the village people(the opener, 'Discotheque') and all fun and games on the outside, but in reality the lyrics of this record are the most serious and cynical of U2's career. Not many people realize that 'Staring At The Sun' is a political song, describing how suits and ties can be just as deadly as soldiers with guns. 'Please' is as serious as it gets lyric-wise: "And love is big, bigger than us, but love is not, what you're thinking of".

U2 did a lot to help this record by putting out some great performances of its songs, especially 'Staring At The Sun' and 'Please', including a emotion-high show in Sarajevo, the first rock show their since their war ended. But towards the end of the tour, it became obvious that they had gone as far as they could in the direction started in Berlin in 1990. They felt the need to tone everything down and just be four guys in a band again. This first came to the public's eyes in the form of old songs that hadn't been performed in a long time, showing up in the setlists of the later "Popmart" shows, such as "Sunday Bloody Sunday". The public would soon get a more blatent show of this change of direction, but unfortunately, it would also leave this album in the dust. Vastly underrated and underappreciated, this is still a very good record.

Thanks for your time.

1990 - 1995 contained the best music of the decade. Full of anti-pop and raw rawk sounds. Those opening chords of "Teen Spirit" really ushered in a exciting 5 years of music.

1996-2000 contained some of the worst music of the decade. Full of boy band/ girl power - teen pop. Britney Spears effectively killed a great decade with that ominous piano role of....Baby One More Time. uuugh!

It seems mindless pop music always wins out in the end.

(to make it easier I'll exclude any Russian/eastern music)

I'm not going to bother with the order.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
Radiohead - The Bends
U2 - Achtung Baby
U2 - Zooropa
Kent - Isola
Underworld - Second Toughest In the Infants
Mansun - Six
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

(honourable exclusions include Adore, Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements, Pop, XTRMNTR, 13)

I think 1997 may be my favourite year for music.

1990 - 1995 contained the best music of the decade. Full of anti-pop and raw rawk sounds. Those opening chords of "Teen Spirit" really ushered in a exciting 5 years of music.

1996-2000 contained some of the worst music of the decade. Full of boy band/ girl power - teen pop. Britney Spears effectively killed a great decade with that ominous piano role of....Baby One More Time. uuugh!

It seems mindless pop music always wins out in the end.

This doesn't represent the quality of the decade very well. If you take the top 40 alone into account, the first five years of the decade were shockingly bold, certainly. Tracks like Loser and She Don't Use Jelly got radio play. It was a strange time.

The latter part of the decade is full of fresh, exciting rock music though. The seeds for a number of genres, including post rock, were planted around that time. Some of the purest, best indie rock was coming out in 96 and beyond. Hip hop was in its golden era (94-96). Artists like Beck, Ween and Super Furry Animals were making joyous, funny, strange music. If you dig a little, the late 90s were fantastic. 99 in particular is a favorite year of mine.

Of course, I also disagree that Baby One More Time is anything less than a great pop song. It's also a world apart from a lot of rock music being released at the time.

RYM says that the nineties is my decade with the highest average rating, so that shows I'm pretty fond of the period. In fact, two of my three favourite albums ever are from 1999 alone (the third is UF). Sticking to one album per artist:

1. Anathema: Judgement (1999)
2. Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream (1999)
3. Agalloch: Pale Folklore (1999)
4. Medicine: Shot Forth Self Living (1992)
5. The Chills: Submarine Bells (1990)
6. Whipping Boy: Heartworm (1995)
7. Crowded House: Together Alone (1993) [my work here is done, Ashley]
8. Ride: Nowhere (1992)
9. The Verve: A Storm in Heaven (1993)
10. Swervedriver: Mezcal Head (1993)

Honourable mentions to the following, all of which were in contention (or almost) for spots 9-10 above:
Able Tasmans: Hey Spinner! (1990)
Bailter Space: Vortura (1994)
The Bats: Fear of God (1991)
Buddha on the Moon: Stratospheric (1997)
Chapterhouse: Whirlpool (1991)
The Clean: Vehicle (1990)
Dredg: Leitmotif (1999)
Kyuss: Welcome to Sky Valley (1994)
Jimmy Eat World: Clarity (1999)
Opeth: Orchid (1995)
Orphaned Land: Sahara (1994)
Passengers: Original Soundtrack 1 (1995)
Refused: The Shape of Punk to Come (1998)

Either I need to listen to more music from 1996, or it was a comparatively lean year.

Carlotta Valdez, Terminal Annex, and Old Hat are where it's at. And Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo off King James Version.

Harvey Danger have got to be one of the bands most unfairly discarded as a one hit wonder, because they actually made a really consistent body of work. Totally agree with you singling out "Old Hat" in particular; I'd probably rate that as their best song.

My favorites:

Depeche Mode -- Violator (1990)
U2 -- Achtung Baby (1991)
Arrested Development -- 3 Years, 5 Months, and 2 Days in the Life of... (1992)
Björk -- Debut (1993)
Juliana Hatfield Three -- Become What You Are (1993)
Sting -- Ten Summoner's Tales (1993)
Depeche Mode -- Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993)
Counting Crows -- August and Everything After (1993)
Stone Roses -- Second Coming (1994)
Counting Crows -- Recovering the Satellites (1996)

Others: Sinéad O'Connor -- I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (1990), The La's (1990), R.E.M. -- Automatic For The People (1992), Björk -- Post (1995)

This doesn't represent the quality of the decade very well. If you take the top 40 alone into account, the first five years of the decade were shockingly bold, certainly. Tracks like Loser and She Don't Use Jelly got radio play. It was a strange time. The latter part of the decade is full of fresh, exciting rock music though. The seeds for a number of genres, including post rock, were planted around that time. Some of the purest, best indie rock was coming out in 96 and beyond. Hip hop was in its golden era (94-96). Artists like Beck, Ween and Super Furry Animals were making joyous, funny, strange music. If you dig a little, the late 90s were fantastic. 99 in particular is a favorite year of mine. Of course, I also disagree that Baby One More Time is anything less than a great pop song. It's also a world apart from a lot of rock music being released at the time.

I appreciate your thoughts and music choices listed BUT I have zero interest in anything hip- hop or rap related. Way too much sexism towards women, violence , racism , use of the "N" word and general excessive profanity for my tastes.

Although I don't mind Beck, Furry Animals and Ween. They miss the heavy distortion and angst that so endeared me to the first half of the 90's. Heavy chords just exude a power over me and fill me with primal energy and a feeling of being "Alive"!!

Nine Inch Nails, Tool, and some if the break- beat stuff was cool ie The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy also Daft Punk.

The early 90's music is the one that gets most of the attention and rightly so. The alt movement was fresh and exciting then.

Cheers.

This doesn't represent the quality of the decade very well. If you take the top 40 alone into account, the first five years of the decade were shockingly bold, certainly. Tracks like Loser and She Don't Use Jelly got radio play. It was a strange time.

The latter part of the decade is full of fresh, exciting rock music though. The seeds for a number of genres, including post rock, were planted around that time. Some of the purest, best indie rock was coming out in 96 and beyond. Hip hop was in its golden era (94-96). Artists like Beck, Ween and Super Furry Animals were making joyous, funny, strange music. If you dig a little, the late 90s were fantastic. 99 in particular is a favorite year of mine.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking you're totally on-point here.

(one album per artist)

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pavement - Wowee Zowee
3. Sugar - Copper Blue
4. Afghan Whigs - Black Love
5. Liz Phair - Whip-Smart
6. Radiohead - The Bends
7. R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
8. Peter Gabriel - Us
9. Saint Etienne - Good Humor
10. The Jesus And Mary Chain - Stoned & Dethroned

I appreciate your thoughts and music choices listed BUT I have zero interest in anything hip- hop or rap related. Way too much sexism towards women, violence , racism , use of the "N" word and general excessive profanity for my tastes.

Although I don't mind Beck, Furry Animals and Ween. They miss the heavy distortion and angst that so endeared me to the first half of the 90's. Heavy chords just exude a power over me and fill me with primal energy and a feeling of being "Alive"!!

Nine Inch Nails, Tool, and some if the break- beat stuff was cool ie The Chemical Brothers, Prodigy also Daft Punk.

It seems a bit hypocritical to toss aside the entire genre of hip-hop with labels like "sexist towards women" and "violent" and complaints of "excessive profanity" while in the same breath praising the band Nine Inch Nails whose most famous song features the chorus "I WANT TO FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL."

And I'm a big fan of those first two NIN albums.

Oh, and Baby One More Time is the god damned jam.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking you're totally on-point here.

(one album per artist)

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pavement - Wowee Zowee
3. Sugar - Copper Blue
4. Afghan Whigs - Black Love
5. Liz Phair - Whip-Smart
6. Radiohead - The Bends
7. R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
8. Peter Gabriel - Us
9. Saint Etienne - Good Humor
10. The Jesus And Mary Chain - Stoned & Dethroned

SUGAR - If I Can't Change Your Mind - YouTubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHnFIaLp_ys

I'm so in love with this song right now.

It seems a bit hypocritical to toss aside the entire genre of hip-hop with labels like "sexist towards women" and "violent" and complaints of "excessive profanity" while in the same breath praising the band Nine Inch Nails whose most famous song features the chorus "I WANT TO FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL."

I'm well beyond the point of arguing with people convinced that 30 years of music in one genre is all equally misogynistic.

He should go to hip hop purists though so we can finish that thread up.

1. The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
2. Radiohead - Ok Computer
3. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
4. Fugazi - Red Medicine
5. U2 - Achtung Baby
6. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
7. Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
8. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
9. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
10. Tom Waits - Mule Variations

Back
Top Bottom