90's Nostalgia: What are your Top 20 Albums of the 1990's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I want to know now if that's really him in that avatar picture or if he stole it from some accountant's Facebook account.

One thing I want to know now if that's really him in that avatar picture or if he stole it from some accountant's Facebook account.

At one point he said it was him. Then he identified himself as a black man in the hip-hop thread. I don't know what to believe anymore! :panic:

Holy shit...I thought what he did in the Kanye thread and Hip Hop thread was bad, but this is even worse. Stealing the word of everyday people...Jesus.

Whhhhaaaaat? Can you link the profile? He said here he was an investment broker or something, didnt he?

Mount Temple you gots some 'splainin to do here!

I think that was a joke. It looks like a lame accountant's headshot.

Just looked at his interference profile. Does this look like the spelling of someone who could write any of these reviews?

Favorite U2 lyrics
"Every artist is a cannable, every poet is a theif.
They steal their insparation and sing about their greif."
- The Fly

I guess copying and pasting the correct spelling of lyrics is out of the question....

I also love the football comment ("aka soccer for all you North Americans out there")... from a guy that lives in Vancouver

Off the top of my head:

U2 - Achtung Baby
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball
R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
U2 - Zooropa
Pearl Jam - Yield
Radiohead - The Bends
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
Chris Whitley - Living with the Law
Pearl Jam - Ten, Vs., Vitalogy
Radiohead - OK Computer
Travis - The Man Who
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
The Stone Roses - Second Coming
Depeche Mode - Violator
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Steve Earle - Train a Comin'

I guess I'm not feeling too nostalgic for Britpop or 90's hip hop at the moment, but this list does confirm that Danny Lanois is the man.

I think that was a joke. It looks like a lame accountant's headshot.

Just looked at his interference profile. Does this look like the spelling of someone who could write any of these reviews?

Favorite U2 lyrics
"Every artist is a cannable, every poet is a theif.
They steal their insparation and sing about their greif."
- The Fly

I guess copying and pasting the correct spelling of lyrics is out of the question....

I also love the football comment ("aka soccer for all you North Americans out there")... from a guy that lives in Vancouver

Ohhhh. Lol ok I got it.

I thought the misspellings on the lyrics were deliberate kindof like how Bono says them live, that type of deal. But that doesn't explain "greif"..

This thread will one day be part of the interference canon.

Sadly, I think it's safe to say he won't be popping back in here to "mount" a defense. So we'll just have to settle for picturing him casually going into the thread and being sucker punched by the truth. Imagine the jaw going slack, the stomach tightening, the eyes going wide, and the realization that this is no longer a safe place to troll.

Sadly, I think it's safe to say he won't be popping back in here to "mount" a defense. So we'll just have to settle for picturing him casually going into the thread and being sucker punched by the truth. Imagine the jaw going slack, the stomach tightening, the eyes going wide, and the realization that this is no longer a safe place to troll.

That dude in his avatar needs a punch, though not necessarily with the truth.

It's a shame it's probably not Mount Temple.

Thought that avatar looked more like a carpet salesman than an accountant.

He's still posting here, don't worry. It's just really hard for him to find a rebuttal to all of this on Amazon review pages.

Interference

Once upon a time, I heard of a TV show called Battlestar Galactica, but had no idea what it was about. I was only 2 years old when the original was on TV, and I had never seen it at all. Eventually, I saw the first season of the old version in the bargain DVD bin at WalMart, and decided to check it out. I couldn't watch it. I started to watch it, I tried to watch it, but it was just too corny, too dated, too..."eighties", for want of a better word. I decided to leave it for fanboys/fangirls, and I moved on with life.

Later on, I heard of the SciFi channel's plan for a re-interpretation of the original show. This did not make me want to see it at all. The only good Sci-Fi productions I had ever seen were Dune and Children of Dune, and everything else was pretty much cheesy crap, a la "Mansquito" or "Chupacabra." So I didn't even know when the miniseries had premiered, nor did I care.

Then one fateful weekend in January 2005, I found myself at home on a Saturday night with nothing on TV to watch. I was flipping through the channels when I saw the intro to the miniseries pilot pop up on NBC of all places. Now I hate NBC (see my review of "Boomtown" to see why), but the intro was pretty interesting and not as corny as I expected a Sci-Fi production to be, so I decided to give it a couple minutes. Nothing else was on anyways, and it was a SciFi show, not an NBC show.

Two hours later, I was looking up the calendar and marking the premiere date therein. No way in perdition I was going to miss an episode of this TV show if I had anything to do with it.

First off, this show is not escapist TV. It is not intended to be an optimistic view of the goodness of humanity a la "Star Trek everything but DS9", and it is not intended to be a rollicking space western with a clearcut good guy to cheer and an obvious bad guy to boo and hiss at. If you are looking for such a show, then this isn't your kind of show and it never claimed to be. This show filled a void that was missing from TV since the demise of Star Trek Deep Space Nine; the void of gripping character-driven science fiction. It has been stated that this isn't a science fiction drama, this is a drama that happens to be set in a sci-fi environment and the strangest thing is that the science fiction takes a huge cut in importance to character interactions and philosophical enquiries. What does it mean to be alive? Can a machine love? Are the human-looking Cylons really just "machines"? Who is hotter, Grace Park or Tricia Helfer? (that's a really tough one...my preference for Asian ladies vs. my desire for ladies that are as tall as I am...Starbuck is more cute than hot, like the girl next door...the jury's still out :D)

Anyways, the acting on the show is excellent, as other reviews have stated. Edward James Olmos owns the role of Bill Adama, Mary McDonnell brings a steely yet feminine resolve to the presidency, James Callis is deliciously sneaky as the slightly...no, the totally demented and totally self-centered Gaius Baltar (and why does he so resemble Alexander Siddig?) and everyone else is really great in their roles. The stories and characters are all interwoven with each other and even now, watching season 2 on Scifi I am not yet sure of what will happen...

I don't know why anyone would want to bring back the original when it was so cheesy and cannot compare at all to the excellent re-imagining of Ron Moore. There is no comparison between the two at all, so you shouldn't come to it expecting the original's vibe. I hope that they keep running it for a long time! This is the best show that SciFi has ever produced, and to my mind is in the top 5 TV dramas produced in this decade that I've seen, along with The Wire, The Sopranos, Lost and Boomtown.

Forget everything you may have thought you knew about Scifi and a star wars knocko called Galactica, and go check this show out. Just watch the pilot miniseries episodes, and then see if you can avoid watching the rest of season one. I dares ya :D

I am still a fan of his "Interference, " intro. Let the masses hear the wisdom.

So these words actually belong to a "Beth Bessmer" and this review is quoted all on a good few other locations other than Amazon.

But good ol' Beth isn't a favorite with the Amazon clientele, apparently:

Beth Bessmer's Amazon review is the first one I've ever read that did not feel like it was written by a real scholar of rock music. This one sounds like it was written by someone who can't like a song if it doesn't have a guitar solo. All her premises are just wrong. Catching Up was an American release, Singles 81-85 British. Catching Up was just what it says--an opportunity for Americans to catch up with them. And the Men from Mode's sense of HUMOR is completely lost on Bessmer. They included negative reviews of their songs because they were _funny,_ not to fend off the specter of "where are they now." Bessmer talks about this compilation like it came out last year--it came out in '85!

I absolutely agree with this assessment. Bessmer is clearly a moron, and I can't believe THIS is the review Amazon chose to post here. Absurd.

This is so weird.

Back
Top Bottom