5 Artists Who You'd Wish Still Had a Legacy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
For me:

1. Squeeze
  2. Tears For Fears
  3. Simple Minds
  4. Roxy Music
  5. Roth-Era Van Halen

What exactly do you mean by a "legacy," exactly? You wish they were still popular, still making music, still considered good, still influential? Need more info before I can answer this.

For one, Roth-era Van Halen is enjoying a revival the last several years. I'm not saying the current product is good or isn't, I wouldn't know, but I'd say pretty comfortably that their legacy is more than fine. If anything it's the legacy of the Hagar-era VH that withered up and blew away.

Based on the other selections, it kind of reads like "old bands you wish got more credit than they do". Ok, I'll try. I don't know if I can come up with 5 off the top of my head...here's some that use distorted guitars (remember those?)...

The Melvins. Lost in the Seattle shuffle, and not as ambitious as the others, but they have some brilliant sludgy weird tunes that eschew the bullshit that currently pollutes rock and roll. You know, the extremes of - boring bluesy bullshit as if it were still 1968 or boring poppy bullshit that is so unchallenging it might as well be played by boy bands.

Max Cavalera-era Sepultura - yeah, they are fairly legendary in thrash metal circles but that shit (albums Beneath The Remains, Arise) stacks up just as well today as it ever did. Amazing how it has aged so well. Though great music that hints at being expertly progressive always will. The Brazilian Metallica - without the embarrassment of the Black Album to weigh down their legacy. Though, they did creep into almost nu-metal territory with Roots but that album is one of the most brutal and yet still highly musical albums ever committed to record. They continued without Max but fuck the later shit.

Deftones - unfortunately written off as part of that whole shit show of nu-metal crap. Their earliest records were more in that vein and naturally are the least of their work but they have consistently made good melodic, dark, beautiful and abrasive music since. That is, if you aren't one of the dullards fooled into believing hard guitar has to mean it doesn't have any emotional sensitivity or depth of intellect.

Helmet (original lineup). More recently the jazz wunderkind Page Hamilton has done his best to muddy the waters enough that you'd be forgiven for maybe thinking it was always a shit band. But they used to have some great albums - In The Meantime and Betty - are fucking great demonstrations in hardcore riff assault. And that backbeat of Bogdan and Stanier, wow...that original band was so tight it was ridiculous (listen to the bridge in Turned Out). I suspect their legacy, these days, is likely written off as a seemingly obscure 90's band that was merely a precursor to nu-metal (stupidly simplified version of events). I just wish some 18 year old kid in their room playing guitar and wanting to form a band thought to themselves- what if it had a groove like that - somehow cleanly noisy and really hooky as fucking fuck - and just tight enough to be human and not machine-like - but added more melody and actual singing over the top...that would be something I'd really like to hear.

weird tunes that eschew the bullshit that currently pollutes rock and roll. You know, the extremes of - boring bluesy bullshit as if it were still 1968 or boring poppy bullshit that is so unchallenging it might as well be played by boy bands.

cough*theblackkeys*cough

1SgWP93.gif

I wish U2 still had a good legacy.

I wonder if this thread will have a legacy at all.

Before their last album came out, I would've said Weezer. Two great albums, then one good album, then one underrated album, then 12 years of crap.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I suppose the dropkick murphys don't count since the bulk of their fan base picked up where I dropped off, and this thread mainly seems centered around bands who fell from grace rather than changed their style and became massively more popular. But man do I miss the days where they were a punk rock band.

What exactly do you mean by a "legacy," exactly? You wish they were still popular, still making music, still considered good, still influential? Need more info before I can answer this.

Still popular

How about five best acts not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

1. Kraftwerk

2. Brian Eno (as performer and/or producer (Non-Performer) and/or collaborator (Musical Excellence)

3/4. Joy Division/New Order

5. The Cure

HM - Roxy Music

How about five best acts not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

1. Kraftwerk

2. Brian Eno (as performer and/or producer (Non-Performer) and/or collaborator (Musical Excellence)

3/4. Joy Division/New Order

5. The Cure

HM - Roxy Music

Maybe you should start a new thread about this.

-I know about Kraftwerk, but I'm not too familiar with their work. All of the artists you mentioned should be in the HOF, though. Way back when, I was a big Cure fan.

Back
Top Bottom