45 years since the Beatles' Sole Underrated Album... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
i don't think under-rated and the beatles should be put in the same sentence.
I think this needs to be repeated again...

that being said, almost all of their early work tends to be underrated when compared to their later work. People tend to dismiss it as disposable when it's far from that.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 06:26 AM
In my personal opinion, "Revolver" is the sole over-rated album in The Beatles' catalogue. It is the only album whose reputation seems to be completely sacrosanct, as though every song is unassailable. That being said, I find the album to be a tremendous achievement, just not quite as brilliant as its reputation suggests.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 03:26 AM
I'm going to preface this post by saying that I love Revolver. It is, song-for-song, arguably their strongest album. However, something has always seemed off about that record to me. I think the problem is that it truly is a transitional record in every sense of the word, and, to me, it lacks an identity. It's too eclectic. And while this wouldn't be a problem if absolutely every song was perfect, that's really not quite the case. No Beatles record lacks a weak link or two, and Revolver is no exception, which is more harmful to it than it would be to, say, Sgt. Pepper, which I believe is a stronger listening experience overall.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
asr
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Well, this being 'A Hard Day's Night' appreciation thread, I'm interested in reading more opinion about this album.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
that being said, almost all of their early work tends to be underrated when compared to their later work. People tend to dismiss it as disposable when it's far from that.
Yes, absolutely.

I think Sgt. Pepper was named as BEST ALBUM EVAH in so many polls and whatnot for so long, it came to be overrated.

More recently Revolver seems to have taken over that BEST ALBUM EVAH (or at least best Beatles album) in some polls and whatnot, and maybe it's starting to feel overrated as well.

Just a theory not based in any sort of scientific proof other than my own memory of seeing Sgt Pepper's at the top of many lists for a long time.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm going to preface this post by saying that I love Revolver. It is, song-for-song, arguably their strongest album. However, something has always seemed off about that record to me. I think the problem is that it truly is a transitional record in every sense of the word, and, to me, it lacks an identity. It's too eclectic. And while this wouldn't be a problem if absolutely every song was perfect, that's really not quite the case. No Beatles record lacks a weak link or two, and Revolver is no exception, which is more harmful to it than it would be to, say, Sgt. Pepper, which I believe is a stronger listening experience overall.
Very well put.

Sgt. Pepper's also slants a bit towards Paul's material, which makes it less enjoyable for me. John only has four tracks here--two masterpieces, a novelty (albeit a cool one) and a real clunker. Revolver only has one more Lennon composition, but there's not a weak link, and they all rock. Tomorrow Never Knows is a mind-blower, and I'm Only Sleeping is probably one of my Top 5 Lennon songs.