30 reasons why 1989-1995 was the best period for music EVER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the Zeppelin's best songs came from 1975 and after. Floyd's best albums came 1975 and after (Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut).

Physical Graffiti's probably their last "great" album, which came out in '75. Hell, even Presence came out in '76, which leaves what? 2 albums left in their discography? I can understand the Floyd point, but Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon (do you consider this "overrated?") still came out during that time.

Yeah but you get Springsteen's masterpeice in Born Of Run and with Bowie you get Station To Station plus the Berlin trilogy.

Born to Run also came out in '75, and Bowie had some real winners (Ziggy, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs) before the Berlin albums... including Station to Station, which came out in '76.

1975 is included in the 1966-1976 period, believe it or not.

Yeah but you get Springsteen's masterpeice in Born Of Run and with Bowie you get Station To Station plus the Berlin trilogy.

Born To Run was released in '75, and Station To Station in '76; both are included in 1966-1976. Low is the only album of the trilogy that I would miss, to be honest.

brick_wall.jpg

So, basically, the only one who agrees with the assertion that 1989-1995 was the greatest period in the history of ever is the thread maker?

I'm saying 1975-1985 is the best time period. So basically I think the years nine years after instead of ahead of 1975-1976 were far better.

So are you saying that period has more of your favorite music, or that you think its more influential on the world of popular music at large?

If it's the former, then I cannot diagree, but if it's the latter... bahaha.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, Screwtape, when you said that 77 had what you think are two of the best albums ever, which two albums are you referring to?

So are you saying that period has more of your favorite music, or that you think its more influential on the world of popular music at large?

If it's the former, than I cannot diagree, but if it's the latter... bahaha.

Yes to the first. As for the second, there was a huge influence though obviously nothing will compare to the late 60's and really early 70's. I look at 1975-1985 as really being the creative explosion that came out of the influence of the years before. To use a U2 example, it is sort of like how the tours and albums before The Joshua Tree had set up and given the band the tools to go to a whole new level and like a big bang went into a million different directions. From 1975-1985, artists took music to a whole new level through experimentation and creativity.

Yes to the first. As for the second, there was a huge influence though obviously nothing will compare to the late 60's and really early 70's. I look at 1975-1985 as really being the creative explosion that came out of the influence of the years before. To use a U2 example, it is sort of like how the tours and albums before The Joshua Tree had set up and given the band the tools to go to a whole new level and like a big bang went into a million different directions. From 1975-1985, artists took music to a whole new level through experimentation and creativity.

Well yeah, but you'll see that sort of "creative explosion" in any era of music, this just happens to fit your liking.

Again, there's no way to quantify creativity as a way to judge music, but keep on trying.

I hate all that '70s prog rock shite. Bunch of stoners with concept albums about whales.
Long haired beardy weirdies who should have been made to go and got real jobs. Yuck.

The 1960's on the other hand were great, especially the early part of that decade. By the end of the '60s, it was already starting to descend into '70s prog rock pretentious wankery.

I hate all that '70s prog rock shite. Bunch of stoners with concept albums about whales.
Long haired beardy weirdies who should and gone and got real jobs. Yuck.

The 1960's on the other hand were great, especially the early part of that decade. By the end of the '60s, it was already starting to descend into '70s prog rock pretentious wankery.

That's awfully stereotypical. No wonder you're an FYM regular.

:lol:

I'm not a fan of prog rock, either.

Admittedly, I don't know much of it, but what I've heard has not inspired me to seek out more, so that's enough for me to form an opinion.

ahh... to the end. blur.
the goodness that is that song, never ends.
the only thing better is the duet with francois hardy, for la comedie.

what a great, great tune.

and nice work on mentioning FSOL. i used to be obsessed with papua new guinea.

Back
Top Bottom