21st century albums that have stood the test of time, so far...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently you don't understand the use of the word "solely".

Thanks for proving me right!

Sure. You're right. You're totally right. You nailed me. You got me.

You dislike me because (among other things) I was questioning the lyrical genius of Kanye West. And, for that sin (among many other sins), I am dumb.

Check that.

Mount Temple & myself are dumb.

The question wasn't about the music, it was about the lyrics.

I wouldn't even go there. If you don't think Kanye is a lyrical genius you're in for hell. You're gonna get the wrath of Lazarus. He'll call ya dumb and post a rather hysterical picture as proof.

The question wasn't about the music, it was about the lyrics.

He is who he is. Many find his style appealing, others don't. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am in some way morally or intellectually inferior because I garner enjoyment from his lyrics. The album is self reflective and the results aren't pretty. I prefer the process of examining personally unflattering lyricism over a bunch of shallow, crowd pleasing tripe that ultimately reveals shallow, uninteresting people.

Give me Yeezus' lyrics over Mechanical Bull's any fucking day. At least I feel close to the artist.

Believe me, I would have if it wasn't grand final day haha I'm already pretty pissed

This often seems to be the response when hip hop lyrics get called out. The claim is that people are only looking at the negatives, bit where, in this artist's case, are the positives?

There are plenty of hip hop artists I love a great deal, Common, Cunninlynguists, etc., so it's not like I hate the genre, I just find things like the majority of the lyrics on MBDTF to be quite distasteful, despite how strong the music is.

He is who he is. Many find his style appealing, others don't. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am in some way morally or intellectually inferior because I garner enjoyment from his lyrics. The album is self reflective and the results aren't pretty. I prefer the process of examining personally unflattering lyricism over a bunch of shallow, crowd pleasing tripe that ultimately reveals shallow, uninteresting people.

Give me Yeezus' lyrics over Mechanical Bull's any fucking day. At least I feel close to the artist.

Honestly the only reason I even said anything is because I'm tired of some poster's questions being ignored, simply on the basis that they're not worthy of being discussed with.

It's just about as annoying as the original posts that created such negative feelings towards certain posters in the first place.

Yeah. I want to be close to a guy who makes fun of people with Parkinson's disease. There is nothing fascinating about someone revealing how shallow and disgusting they are.

We've actually reached the point where shitheads are actually revered for being shitheads.

I'll gladly take the lyrics on Mechanical Bull over some asshole discovering he's an asshole: Kanye.

Yeah. I want to be close to a guy who makes fun of people with Parkinson's disease. There is nothing fascinating about someone revealing how shallow and disgusting they are.

We've actually reached the point where shitheads are actually revered for being shitheads.

I'll gladly take the lyrics on Mechanical Bull over some asshole discovering he's an asshole: Kanye.

OK. I feel differently, and I told you why already, so we're good.

A good deal of lyrics in any genre are going to be terrible. This is not a problem confined to hip-hop. You could make the argument that hip-hop has a tendency to be aggressively offensive, which certainly seems to be the shtick of Tyler the Creator and others in his style, but to say that the genre is devoid of insightful lyrics is short-sighted at best. Killer Mike's Reagan, which I just heard on a DI list, had very poignant lyrics.

Kanye's lyrics make me giggle. They're constantly entertaining. And the music is insanely good. I will take lyrics that make me giggle over insipid tripe that's been vomited all over the radio for decades dressed up like something new because the 3 chords the band knows how to play are slightly changed and the melody goes up rather than down.

As far as he goes as a lyricist, I'd check out "Family Business" or "Last Call" or "Gone" from his first two albums as tracks that best showcase the emotional content and playfulness that stretch over his body of work. I don't know what bellwether folks use to compare/judge lyrics, but for me the complexity of his backing beats and sampling are hard to judge as separate entities. Not that I'm against that level of dissection, hip-hop is the biggest musical genre I can think of where it's detrimental to remove the rhythm to judge the "words." They're inexorably linked.

Hell, lines like "Oh, I remember how we first met / Okay, I don't remember how we first met" in "Bound 2" or the "Nahnahnahnahnah-the fuck you sound" burst in "Drunk and Hot Girls" carry a fuck-all attitude and bravado that work part and parcel with the image that he cultivates. For a person who seems obtuse publicly, his work feels incredibly self-aware. Yeezy's constantly toying with the expectations one has of him as an artist or pop star in an astonishingly candid fashion.

That's my take at least. Haters beware.

She say "Can you get my friends in the club?"
I say "Can you get my Benz in the club?"
If not, treat your friends like my Benz
Park they ass outside 'til the evening end

What does that even mean?

And his ignorance in the difference between Romans and Greeks in one of his newer songs is inexcusable. As is his mispronunciation of Maybach

Kanye wants his Mercedes Benz in the club with him. If he's not allowed this absurd request, he won't allow the girl's friends into the club either.

Actually, it's a little more like Kanye does not want his girl's friends to go in the club with them. Therefore, he proposes an impossible compromise to his girl, which would result in her friends entering the club with them: They can come in if he can bring in his Mercedes Benz.
I don't know what that means

There's this ridiculous theory going around that Kanye totally knew that the Spartans weren't Romans and that what he meant by keeping it 300 like the Romans was in reference to the Roman numeral CCC. Which, apparently stands for Cool, Calm and Collected.

You ask yourself, deep down which is more likely:

Kanye mistook the Spartans for Romans

Kanye hid a Roman Numberal-based abbreviation in his lyrics

Actually, it's a little more like Kanye does not want his girl's friends to go in the club with them. Therefore, he proposes an impossible compromise to his girl, which would result in her friends entering the club with them: They can come in if he can bring in his Mercedes Benz.

If only RapGenius paid.

I hate that it isn't a complete entry. How am I supposed to know what he means by It's the freakin' weekend/Baby I'm about to have me some fun? :panic:

Back
Top Bottom