21st century albums that have stood the test of time, so far...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rap OK Computer and rap Kid A back to back :drool: In all seriousness, MBDTF is the instant point of comparison for grand or ambitious hip hop these days and it's entirely deserving of that distinction. Tough to argue that it was ever going to change the rap landscape because it takes a massive ego and a massive budget to make an album like that, but it made its impact.

Impressive lyrics like

" I'm a motherfucking monster....."

"Suck My Dick".....

Are really grand and ambitious!

I'll take Karma Police Alex for $200

Paul Weller- Heliocentric
Paul Weller- 22 Dreams
Paul Weller- Wake Up The Nation

Damn. Paul Weller has had a very good century so far. Go geezers.

Way to miss my point.

It's easy to cherry pick lyrics like that to make your point. Except that it totally ignores the fact that Kanye has penned his fair share of brilliant lyrics.

Way to miss my point. It's easy to cherry pick lyrics like that to make your point. Except that it totally ignores the fact that Kanye has penned his fair share of brilliant lyrics.

By all means start the list. I would like to see these brilliant words (not Lyrics as those belong to people who actually sing).

Way to miss my point.

It's easy to cherry pick lyrics like that to make your point. Except that it totally ignores the fact that Kanye has penned his fair share of brilliant lyrics.

The brilliant lyrics cancel out the vile ones?

Ok.

The brilliant lyrics cancel out the vile ones? Ok.

I am sure you have heard the expression :

" One Bad Apple Spoils the Whole Bunch"

Is it possible to cancel out the vile rotten half of an Apple and make it ripe? Or does the vile rotten half overtake the brilliant ripe side of the Apple?

Would you eat that piece of fruit?

This is how I feel about all Rap and Hip-Hop.

The Darkness- Permission To Land
The Darkness- One Way Ticket To Hell...And Back
The Darkness- Hot Cakes
My Morning Jacket- Z
Aimee Mann- The Forgotten Arm
U2- No Line On The Horizon
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- Howl
Ocean Colour Scene- On The Leyline
Michael Kiwaneuka- ST
The Velvet Teen- Out of the Fierce Parade

Hot damn. What a century we live in.

PJ Harvey- Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
The Sheepdogs-ST
RHCP- Stadium Arcadium
Charlatans- Up At The Lake
Johnny Cash- Solitary Man
Tom Petty- Highway Companion
Hot Leg - Red Light Fever

Impressive lyrics like

" I'm a motherfucking monster....."

"Suck My Dick".....

Are really grand and ambitious!

I'll take Karma Police Alex for $200

There's some kind of magic knowledge key that makes those lyrics cool?

Typical hip-hop apologist. :rolleyes:

dumb-and-dumber-dumb-and-dumber-6241055-853-461.jpg

Way to miss my point.

I don't think I've ever heard a kanye song where he hasn't rhymed a word with the same word. That's even worse than the examples mt posted. It's hip hop, they have to include that stuff. Gotta make white kids feel tough as they cruise around the suburbs in their parents' cars somehow.

Cue the person who says "bono had done that and is great" bullshit. He's a tool for doing it too. They all are.

Not anyone.

But you two? Yeah.

Ok. Myself and Mount Temple are dumb.

That's the jist of it? Right?

We questioned one of your buddies.

He provided a very, very poor defense.

You jumped in to defend him.

And that defense is that we're dumb.

Not anyone. But you two? Yeah.

Lazarus, where are your degrees in Neuroscience? To make such bold diagnosis of each of us?

Do you actually understand what the term "dumb" means?

I didn't think subjective opinions of music tastes and having discussions around them would degrade to childlike taunting.

Perhaps you prefer to educate yourself from the scholars like 2Pac, Snoop Doggy Dogg and the former heavyweight Notorious BIG.

Lazarus, where are your degrees in Neuroscience? To make such bold diagnosis of each of us?

Do you actually understand what the term "dumb" means?

I didn't think subjective opinions of music tastes and having discussions around them would degrade to childlike taunting.

Perhaps you prefer to educate yourself from the scholars like 2Pac, Snoop Doggy Dogg and the former heavyweight Notorious BIG.

Now, hold on. He's just defending COBL. He's being noble.

Remember how dumb we are. He posted a picture as proof.

Object to misogynistic rap lyrics?

Lazarus: "You're dumb."

Or, in our case, dumb and dumber.

I would like to see these brilliant words (not Lyrics as those belong to people who actually sing).

Me neither.

I can't wait til the part where you insist you have friends who are black.

I don't waste time with trolls.

Of course you don't. Who does?

You have Lazarus to step in and defend your honor. It's kinda romantic.

Also, I'm not sure someone questioning Kanye's lyrical content is trolling. It's perfectly legit. You declared him great.

You think anyone who challenges that is a troll?

Here's a hint: consider our attitude based on accumulation, rather than solely something from this thread.

Ah, you don't like me, so, you decided to drop in on this thread and call me dumb.

Your calling me dumb actually had NOTHING to do with what was being discussed here.

You just saw me and had to call me dumb.

Class act.

Ok. Back on track

Supergrass- ST
Mark Knoffler & Emmylou Harris- All The Road Running
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band- Magic
Secret Machines- Now Here Is Nowhere

Ah, you don't like me, so, you decided to drop in on this thread and call me dumb.

Your calling me dumb actually had NOTHING to do with what was being discussed here.

You just saw me and had to call me dumb.

Class act.

Apparently you don't understand the use of the word "solely".

Thanks for proving me right!

Lol are we arguing about whether Kanye makes quality music or not? Twisted Fantasy is the most acclaimed album released this century. That's a fact. No album has ever won Pazz and Jop's year end poll by a wider margin, going back to the 70s. It has an absolutely unheard of 94 on metacritic out of 40+ reviews. I feel no reason to defend the album at this point because there literally dozens of glowing reviews that do the same thing already. It's a fucking great album, people are going to be praising it for years. The end.

There's also no point in arguing that Schloop is antagonistic. The sky is also blue.

Lol are we arguing about whether Kanye makes quality music or not? Twisted Fantasy is the most acclaimed album released this century. That's a fact. No album has ever won Pazz and Jop's year end poll by a wider margin, going back to the 70s. It has an absolutely unheard of 94 on metacritic out of 40+ reviews. I feel no reason to defend the album at this point because there literally dozens of glowing reviews that do the same thing already.

The question wasn't about the music, it was about the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom