21st century albums that have stood the test of time, so far...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeezus being somewhat of a hip hop Kid A, it's a fair bet we'll still be talking about it years and years from now. It's more bold and imaginative than the majority of stuff mentioned in this thread.

I thought Twisted Fantasy was the album that was supposed to carry hip-hop into the future and set the template for things to come. Has that changed already?

Rap OK Computer and rap Kid A back to back :drool:

In all seriousness, MBDTF is the instant point of comparison for grand or ambitious hip hop these days and it's entirely deserving of that distinction. Tough to argue that it was ever going to change the rap landscape because it takes a massive ego and a massive budget to make an album like that, but it made its impact.

Themeadowlands.jpg

Don't think there's been a month go by without listening to this record.

Bowie - Heathen
Bowie - The Next Day
Morrissey - You Are The Quarry
U2 - ATYCLB
U2 - NLOTH
I'm struggling after them!

Yeezus being somewhat of a hip hop Kid A, it's a fair bet we'll still be talking about it years and years from now. It's more bold and imaginative than the majority of stuff mentioned in this thread.

I have a feeling you'll all still be talking about it years and years from now because everyone who posts here is white, and probably only hear a few hip hop albums a year.

Heyo!!!!!!

Jokes!!!!!!!

White people!!!!!!!

I love Twisted Fantasy, but nah. That's an album where I can see the seams, if that makes any sense. It's huge, grandiloquent, a hell of a lot of fun and really gorgeous at times, but you can hear the show being put on for you. Yeezus is a muuuuuch stronger album to me. Musically insane, bold, brilliant, does so many fucking crazy things. It's a real statement. It's got both his most powerful serious writing mixed in almost perfectly with some of his funniest, most off the cuff juvenile lines. And it's fabulous for it. Pure id on tape. Really cohesive too.

probably only hear a few hip hop albums a year

:bonodrum:

I love Twisted Fantasy, but nah. That's an album where I can see the seams, if that makes any sense. It's huge, grandiloquent, a hell of a lot of fun and really gorgeous at times, but you can hear the show being put on for you. Yeezus is a muuuuuch stronger album to me. Musically insane, bold, brilliant, does so many fucking crazy things. It's a real statement. It's got both his most powerful serious writing mixed in almost perfectly with some of his funniest, most off the cuff juvenile lines. And it's fabulous for it. Pure id on tape. Really cohesive too.

I don't agree fully, but I know where you're coming from with this. The rawness and honesty of the album is a big factor in why it will age so well.

I have a feeling you'll all still be talking about it years and years from now because everyone who posts here is white, and probably only hear a few hip hop albums a year.

I'm going to crash a jetski into your apartment for this bullshit.

Yes. Twisted Fantasy is a tremendous record, but in the end it's of a piece musically and thematically with a host of other hip-hop records celebrating a particular lifestyle. Yeezus comes in hard with an immediacy befitting the ironies in his first two "college" records.

The narrative through line one can construct of Kanye's output thus far adds to the "most recent album is the finest."

I thought Twisted Fantasy was the album that was supposed to carry hip-hop into the future and set the template for things to come. Has that changed already?

If any Kanye West album in particular is being championed ten years from now, it's likely going to be this one.

Yeezus? Please, that album's going to be a blip on the radar outside of the fan-base.

If any Kanye West album in particular is being championed ten years from now, it's likely going to be this one.

Yeezus? Please, that album's going to be a blip on the radar outside of the fan-base.

Which would be a case of history getting it wrong. That NEVER happens.

Based on the critical response to Twisted Fantasy, it's gonna be on every retrospective list until the end of time.

Which would be a case of history getting it wrong. That NEVER happens.

Nah, can't really go wrong with either.

History getting it wrong would be time remembering the last two Eminem albums instead.

I'm being mostly facetious regarding my preference for Yeezus. Both albums are masterful, imo. My two favorites of his, followed by Graduation probably, which I feel is somewhat divisive too? Or am I wrong about that?

Back
Top Bottom