2013 Albums Most Anticipated/Most Dreaded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is all I'm responding to. First: welcome to the internet! You'll need a thicker skin. Second: Cori used the :wink:, which is generally considered to be good natured. Don't like it? Tough.

This is really, really funny. I'm not new here, but thanks for the advice!

For what it's worth, Cori and I know each other personally, and I found her statement rude, despite the :wink:. I'm sure we'll get over it.

:wink:

RobotlandGirl = ironic HeartlandGirl alter

Not trying to be ironic. I logged into my phone as RobotlandGirl a month ago or so when we were discussing alters in the Random Music Thread. And I've been too lazy to log out. I figured everyone knew that RG = HG, but apparently not.

I'm sorry - I shouldn't have said it was bullshit. I should have said it was silly or, at the very least, incorrect.

Edit: wait, that's really you? I'm confused right now. So you weren't calling this whole part of the forum as "hipsters" who don't like anything popular? Did you really mean it in relation to liking U2?

Because honestly, that changes the whole context, and I wouldn't have even responded at all. When someone who doesn't appear to hang out here much comes in and accuses us of being hipsters (see that Darkness thread), it bugs me. But you obviously know us and know we have varied tastes and wouldn't be all "oh, they're just hipsters here, they hate everything," which is how that post read to me.

Now I have to make this face, because I'm so confused: :huh:

EVERYONE STOP FlGHTING, IT'S MAKING ME SCARED AND UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!11!!!!!1!!11!!1!!

This is really, really funny. I'm not new here, but thanks for the advice!

For what it's worth, Cori and I know each other personally, and I found her statement rude, despite the :wink:. I'm sure we'll get over it.

:wink:

I'd never seen the other name before and so it was pretty out of the blue - thought someone from EYKIW was just coming in for a B&C poster bashfest. My mistake.

Because honestly, that changes the whole context, and I wouldn't have even responded at all. When someone who doesn't appear to hang out here much comes in and accuses us of being hipsters (see that Darkness thread), it bugs me. But you obviously know us and know we have varied tastes and wouldn't be all "oh, they're just hipsters here, they hate everything," which is how that post read to me.

Now I have to make this face, because I'm so confused: :huh:

Exactly.

I don't really think this is the case at all, and really never has been over the course of the three or four years I have been frequenting this forum. For example, there was a thread in here during the Glastonbury feed of their performance where everyone was gushing for 800 or so posts over how much they loved the band. Something similar happened when they pulled out One Tree Hill towards the end of 360. I can't really think of anyone on here, expect perhaps IWB, who expresses no fondness for U2.

I disagree. On the occasions where I speak with other interferencers off the board (in person, via phone, what have you), the anti-U2 flavor of B&C always comes up. It's not horrible, but it's there. In other words, it's bad enough for people to hyperbolically state that they're cringing at the thought of new U2 record, but not bad enough to stifle excitement when the band pulls off something cool or prevent people from admitting that they still love the band.

The mockery of the folks in EYKIW speaks to that vibe. Many of us used to be that obsessed U2 fan or still can be in certain aspects (setlists, traveling all over the see U2, etc.), so it's funny to me that we often mock those fans so mercilessly.

Every day I....die again and again...I'm reborn.

Every day I...have to find the courage to walk out into the street. With arms out. Got a love you can't defeat. Neither down nor out. There's nothing you have that I need.

1z4fw5u.gif

I disagree. On the occasions where I speak with other interferencers off the board (in person, via phone, what have you), the anti-U2 flavor of B&C always comes up. It's not horrible, but it's there. In other words, it's bad enough for people to hyperbolically state that they're cringing at the thought of new U2 record, but not bad enough to stifle excitement when the band pulls off something cool or prevent people from admitting that they still love the band.

The mockery of the folks in EYKIW speaks to that vibe. Many of us used to be that obsessed U2 fan or still can be in certain aspects (setlists, traveling all over the see U2, etc.), so it's funny to me that we often mock those fans so mercilessly.
I think there is an understanding that when we talk here about EYKIW, we're talking about the fringe, just as I assume the people you talk to are talking about the fringe portions of B&C. When I talk shit on EYKIW, it's on the people who seem to almost pride themselves on listening to very little music other than U2. And those people are there. I've seen them post about it before and they will again. So, obviously, this is broad brush strokes being painted with the worst of each end, which is never exactly a productive way to go about this. That said...

Maybe it's arrogant, but I would venture to say that people in B&C have better musical opinions because people in B&C have more context for the place where U2's music comes from in today's music world. In fact, I'd probably say I trust the musical opinions of those here significantly more than I would people in EYKIW who listen to limited amounts of music. Perspective is everything. Listening to any band in a vacuum is detrimental, to me. Listening to more music has irrevocably changed my view on U2: songs I used to like I don't like as much. Others I used to deride I grew to enjoy. I understand that it's a personal viewpoint and that it shouldn't be considered the end all-be all. But certain aspects of the way those diehard U2 fans function bothers me. It's got nothing to do with them traveling to see U2 (people here do that!). It's got much more to do with lacking perspective on what's going on with U2 in 2012/2013. And I'm sure that's what it is with others.

I am certainly not saying that a nuanced music fan should develop that anti-U2 bias over time. Far from it. Rather, I'm saying a lot of that anti-U2 feeling here probably comes from a sort of collective rolling-of-the-eyes at what is happening on other parts of the board. If we moved B&C to, say, atease, we'd probably be the biggest U2 apologists there. Context matters.

And what I am also saying is that if all you really listen to is U2, it's much harder to be disappointed. You obviously became a fan in the first place because something clicked, and not allowing yourself to hear other music in the same vein that may be doing it better than U2 now is restricting your perspective on how U2 has developed, or hasn't.

I'll simply state that I think NSW, HG, and PhilsFan have made some particularly good points here.

I honestly don't know what U2 will do next, and I do wonder how some of the experiments they've talked about trying out will go down, given the ages they're at now and all that sort of thing (that sort of thing doesn't really matter to me, personally, but I can't help but wonder how the public at large will take to some of that stuff should the band go through with it). But then again, that's not really within my control nor is it something that I need to really concern myself with.

U2 are one of my favorite bands, so I'll always look forward to whatever they do. Like stated a couple pages back, even if what they do isn't their best, they're still a band I love and their good moments far outweigh their bad, so I'll just go, "Okay, this particular sound/song/album didn't work for me" and move on. And if it does sound great to my ears, then, hey, fantastic! I'm certainly wanting them to do well and come up with something amazing, and I've no problem believing they still have greatness in them.

I don't really think this is the case at all, and really never has been over the course of the three or four years I have been frequenting this forum. For example, there was a thread in here during the Glastonbury feed of their performance where everyone was gushing for 800 or so posts over how much they loved the band. Something similar happened when they pulled out One Tree Hill towards the end of 360. I can't really think of anyone on here, expect perhaps IWB, who expresses no fondness for U2.

Except for when you put breathe on your DI mix. Or maybe that wasn't you...someone did, I thought it was you. Cos that song kicks ass.

I don't dread new U2 like I dread new dropkick murphys. I'm apathetic toward new U2. The new dkm, however...

i figure that people don't really dread a new u2 album, more that they're just concerned that this future effort won't be something they can call a great album. it won't be something that they can say look, this is why this is one of my favorite bands. i'm pretty sure that for every shitting on u2 post that happens in b&c, there are 5 posts about how something was great. u22222222 was pretty universally liked, i thought, around these parts.

and for all the shitting on u2 that i do, doesn't mean that they weren't one of my favorite bands at one point. then again, so were the dropkick murphys. i'm in a very different position regarding each band, though. with u2, i didn't start listening to them til ATYCLB came out, had about 6 or so years of super fandom, and then majorly burnt myself out to the point where i can't even really listen to most of the albums/songs i still love without getting annoyed. that's right, there are u2 albums and songs that i still consider to be really fucking good songs/albums. but it's still going to be a while before i want to hear them again.

i haven't even listened to nloth in its entirety, and i seriously doubt i'll be checking out the next album. but it's more of a disinterest than hate. hate is what i have for the dropkick murphys these days. unlike u2, who i didn't get into til well after the height of their popularity never mind rise to top-tier rock n roll fame, i've been a dkm fan since they had a whopping 2 albums to their name and have weathered the changes to the line-up and sound in real time rather than over the course of a few months of delving into back catalog. while a lot of the do or die era fans were falling by the wayside, screaming sell out and what have you, i was still very much a fan of sing loud sing proud, still think blackout is a really solid album, and even enjoy the bulk of the warrior's code. in a more optomistic moment, i might even say that some of the meanest of times isn't really that awful. but it's far from great, and going out in style was practically unlistenable. the first couple track (from the meanest of times) and the last song on there stand up just fine on their own, yet crash mightily when held up against similar songs from previous efforts.

with the dropkick murphys, you used to get three kinds of songs: anthemic street punk songs, throwback old school hardcore, and the irish stuff. blackout detractors had issues with there being more irish stuff and the anthemic street punk songs now all having bagpipes. i didn't have a problem here, since the anthemic street punk songs were still pretty damn good, and there was still a mix of all these elements. the balance is pretty much gone now. it's almost entirely ken casey-sung irish stuff. and when they do trot out al barr to do the bagpipe-laden anthemic punk stuff, it falls short of the energy of something like "worker's song," or "as one." oddly enough, i've always cared the least about the token old school hardcore throwback song on a given album ("on the attack" is probably the only one i've ever been a huge fan of anyway), but seeing them entirely fall by the wayside sort of made me realize how much i missed them. these days, with the dropkick murphys, you get one kind of song. and that's just fucking boring. unfortunatly, it sells better than a four-piece street punk band with occasional guest bagpipes and mandolin playing on a couple songs ever did.

yelling "sell out," "they're only doing this for the money" isn't really what i'm doing, though. i'm not actually pissed at the band for making money off the lame, soulless, shitbag path that they took after the success of "shipping up to boston". everyone's gotta pay the bills somehow, and i really don't fault them for making money. in a way, i'm actually angrier with the general public for having shit taste in music; i'm more annoyed that more people like the stuff i find to be bland and gimmicky over what i consider to be better music.

it's going to be much more difficult for me to ignore their upcoming album than it will be for me to ignore u2. u2 was a really big deal to me for a handful of years, and then i moved on. dkm owned a pretty good-sized chunk of my music-listening life. my u2-listening existed almost in a bubble. yes, i have some rather important memories--all tied to this place--from that time, but i don't have the amount of time spent going to shows, or large portions of my music collection so directly related to being a fan of the band. given my age, financial situation, geographical location, family background, probably even my temperament/personality, dkm were definitely a part of the second most important factor in my overall taste in music. sure, i've always ranked the clash much higher in terms of favorite bands/importance/etc, but i wasn't around in the late 70s. i wasn't born until 1984, which is kind of why rancid were the first punk rock band i ever heard. and after i found epitaph/hell cat punk rock, it became regional. because as a high school kid/broke college kid, it's not like i was travelling all over the country/world to see u2 (or anyone else, for that matter). living in massachusetts, what fit the definition of local and hell cat/epitaph? the dropkick murphys. they were great about having really solid opening bands play with them, played the warped tour, and with the incestuous nature of punk rock line-ups and side projects, there's always 3 other bands that stem off from a single guy in a band. if you're doing it right, you start listening to a, b, and c, in a short amount of time you've now heard d, e, f, g, h, i, x, y, z and have half a dozen more to check out. especially now--i thought the internet made that shit easy when i was in college, but back then you still needed a school email to make a facebook page. u2 didn't exactly introduce me to anything else, and didn't present me with anything i could relate to the way dkm, et al. did. this place did, and it's the reason i still come here even though i couldn't really care less about the band at this point. even though i don't end up liking a good 75% of the music you guys recommend, it's still one of the better places i've found online where we've got diverse enough bands thrown around on a regular basis that the 25% i do end up really liking is plenty, considering it's coming from essentially a single source.

now, i said that the last dkm album was pretty much unlistenable. it was seriously difficult to make it through a single listen. i don't even think i managed, i got about halfway through most songs and skipped to the next...only to do the same with the next song, til i was done. how the fuck can a dkm song with springsteen on guest vocals be bad?
this is how:
Dropkick Murphys - Peg 'O My Heart - YouTube

i was willing to accept that long gone are the days of something like:
Dropkick Murphys - The Gauntlet - YouTube
but i don't even have words to describe how much of a let down that last album was, just exasperated noises of frustration.

i can't really imagine the new one will be much better, or any different at all, than the one i couldn't even listen to. given the christmas song, with its painfully cheesy video, and the lead single, it's pretty much a given at this point that this is who the band is now.

Definitely a tl;dr there, but wow, and no offence intended here, but I really do not understand at all the way you experience music.

I find this really odd:

with u2, i didn't start listening to them til ATYCLB came out, had about 6 or so years of super fandom, and then majorly burnt myself out to the point where i can't even really listen to most of the albums/songs i still love without getting annoyed. that's right, there are u2 albums and songs that i still consider to be really fucking good songs/albums. but it's still going to be a while before i want to hear them again.

i haven't even listened to nloth in its entirety, and i seriously doubt i'll be checking out the next album. but it's more of a disinterest than hate.

But I guess that's part of our dysfunctional family! :)

i thought about putting it in the tl;dr posts about music you love thread, because it was far too lengthy a post, but that's a present-tense thread and this is kind of a very past tense subject these days for me. plus, it was sort of relevant...i guess...

i don't get what you don't get.

Well you say you still consider them "really fucking good" but you can't listen to more than a few minutes of them "without getting annoyed". Non comprendo. I've never experienced that.

maybe i don't listen to it like you guys. maybe i smell it instead. :hmm:

Well you say you still consider them "really fucking good" but you can't listen to more than a few minutes of them "without getting annoyed". Non comprendo. I've never experienced that.

used to...then got really burnt out. there's a part of me still that understands a song like out of control = pure awesomeness, but i don't want to hear it right now. i might say something like "Fuck the Joshua Tree," but does that mean i think it's a terrible album full of crap i never liked? hell no. but i over-did it, listened to it far too many times in apparently too short a period of time to be able to listen to, and enjoy it, right now.

*Feels head starting to spin at the "I don't get why you don't get..." thing* :p

I can understand what you mean to some extent, IWB. I wouldn't use the word "annoyed", but I have definitely done the thing where I literally burn myself out on an artist 'cause I listen to them so much. So it's nice to take a breather, move on and listen to something else, and then come back to them after the little break. I find when I do that sometimes it's like I'm hearing the artist for the first time all over again and I'm being reminded, "Ohhhhhh, yeah, that's why I fell in love with them!"

Also, I read your whole post :). I'm always interested to hear people's rants on when they started to dislike an artist they once loved. I've yet to experience that situation, in part because so many artists I like have been around for some time and built up a lengthy body of work before I became a fan, so I have a history to compare any new stuff they do do against and a better context for what they're doing. And also because I freely admit I'm pretty forgiving/easily pleased and accepting when it comes to my favorite artists. Sure, they've done albums and songs that don't grab me quite as much as others do-nobody's perfect, after all. But I just can't seem to muster up the anger/disappointment/whatever that some fans tend to express with certain musicians. I can mention what I don't like and why, but I've never once felt the need to say, "I'm done with this band! No more!" So it fascinates me when I hear explanations from people who do say things like that and who "break up" with bands, so to speak.

(And who knows, maybe someday I will feel that way about an artist. Dunno.)

Except for when you put breathe on your DI mix. Or maybe that wasn't you...someone did, I thought it was you. Cos that song kicks ass.

Yeah, that was me. My relationship with U2 these days is this: I hardly ever reach for them, but if I hear them unexpectedly, like on the radio or on my iPod shuffle, I am very happy. And I shelled out a lot of money for that series of deluxe reissues, so I must still be a major fan in some sense of the term.

Back
Top Bottom