2011 Grammy Awards Viewing Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only other time I remember it happening in film was with The English Patient, and during the Oscars I was rooting for Fargo. A subsequent second viewing of TEP made me realize I was dead wrong, and it's the only piece of media in my personal Top 10 that was a top award winner.

I'd say No Country is probably the closest a Best Picture winner comes for me in recent years. Certainly in my top 5 of that year still. Before that it has to go back to An American In Paris. Closest the Grammy's have come are probably Time Out of Mind then The Joshua Tree before that.

Huh, I didn't realize Gaga had won anything tonight. Glad to see Bad Romance got a win for one of those lesser categories and for the video, although I'm still pissed it wasn't nommed for a big 'un.

Manhandle was your favorite album of 2004? The fuck?

It wasn't exactly a strong year.

And while I don't think it really stands as a great "album", I think it's an amazing collection of tracks. There's not one song I dislike, and only one that I don't like a lot (Sometimes You Can't Play It On Your Own).

I'd say No Country is probably the closest a Best Picture winner comes for me in recent years. Certainly in my top 5 of that year still. Before that it has to go back to An American In Paris. Closest the Grammy's have come are probably Time Out of Mind then The Joshua Tree before that.

Well right but we're not talking "one of my favorites" but "my absolute favorite", right?

I couldn't count NCFOM because my #1 that year was I'm Not There.

Time Out of Mind came out the same year as Poppycock and OK Computer so I can't claim 1997.

I was going to agree with you on American in Paris, but then I realized it was the same year as Renoir's The River. 1951 was a very weak year though. The only other contenders I can think of are Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, Tales of Hoffmann, The Steel Helmet, and Streetcar Named Desire.

Leave it to the Father and Son to turn a thread about Cee-Lo Green's feather helmet into a discussion of 1950s French cinema.

Oh yes, well I was merely falling back on that, as like I said originally, I don't know if there's any year where my absolute favorite matches up (aside from possibly An American in Paris... but that would require a bit more research to be sure).

tumblr_lgl6haVTVu1qztglu.png

They're still independent. They're with Merge Records and have been from the start.

Yeah, independent but still very out there for an indie band. The mainstream of indie.

I know of indie fans who foolishly would cite them as mainstream or sellouts or trash like that... when in reality they're just really good.

I got the "joke." It just wasn't funny or particularly well crafted. How many times can you go to the "indie kids don't like it when their bands get popular" well? I wasn't offended as a fan of Arcade Fire. I was offended as a fan of witty observations.

Apparently not, judging your response.

And nobody made you the joke police, so if you don't like it, don't comment on it.

Plus, what is this "how many times can you"? You dont even know me? That's my first indie joke in this thread. Section. Forum. Board. Get over it.

An "independent" artist can most definitely be mainstream. I don't know exactly if I'd call Arcade Fire mainstream at this point. There aren't terribly far off though.

I'm not sure where people are calling them sell outs. They're not putting a bunch of songs into commercials, which is usually the big gripe (Laz!). Just having a really good string of albums is pretty much all they've done.

Apparently not, judging your response.

And nobody made you the joke police, so if you don't like it, don't comment on it.

Plus, what is this "how many times can you"? You dont even know me? That's my first indie joke in this thread. Section. Forum. Board. Get over it.
How many times in the sense that your particular joke has been made many times by other people (or a variation of it), not how many times you've made it.

I'm not sure where people are calling them sell outs. They're not putting a bunch of songs into commercials, which is usually the big gripe (Laz!). Just having a really good string of albums is pretty much all they've done.

And god forbid somebody does that... why is that selling out?

A real sellout would be making the music specifically for money.

Since nobody commented on it, unless I missed it, I would like to take this moment to highlight the Rihanna/Drake performance. Good lord. Everyone knows that girl is sexy as hell...but fuck. That was hot.

She was shaking and grinding her barely-covered butt all over national TV. And it's a nice butt!

Unemployment is high, the weather is shitty, guns and drugs pollute our streets, but everything ain't all bad when a girl as beautiful as Rihanna is one of our biggest pop acts.

I am sure that hussy Lea Michele was all over Clay Matthews back stage,

(I hope GAF doesn't see this, it's past midnight, right?)

edit:

oops

Miley Cyrus and Kings of Leon, together at last.

This thread needs some Hipster Little Mermaid.

enhanced-buzz-9714-1297193170-34.jpg

enhanced-buzz-9718-1297193843-33.jpg

enhanced-buzz-9722-1297193079-36.jpg

A friend on Facebook was listening to a radio station and the DJ announced that The Suburbs, from Minneapolis, had won album of the year for their album Arcade Fire.

Back
Top Bottom