2011 Grammy Awards Viewing Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
Fuck it.

I can't be the only one that's gonna watch this thing.

And if I am, I have no apprehension about talking to myself. In this thread.

The Black Keys just won Alternative Album, beating out Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Broken Bells, and Band of Horses.

Exciting stuff.

U2 won that category like 15 years ago for Zooropa, and Bono smoked and cursed on stage. I think.

Looking at it, the "Alternative" album category has had some damn strong winners in the past.

Zooropa, of course.

Out of Time won in '92, also Radiohead and the White Stripes have each won it 3 times.

Other past winners of the award include Beck, Beastie Boys, Tom Waits, and Nirvana.

Super exciting stuff.

Arcade Fire should have no chance of winning Album of the Year now given that they lost the award in a smaller category. Kind of makes no sense, but whatever. Looks like there's a high chance that Eminem gets rewarded for a rather dicey effort, but hey, think of it as a career achievement award.

Or they could give Album of the Year to a shitty tack-on EP to a tuneless pop diva that arrived in an egg. :down:

Hmmm, Arcade Fire loses the category it was said it had the best chance in, that the voters would give them that one and not The Big One. Could they actually win Album of the Year instead?

I wish this were on live in the west coast. I'll probably watch part of it, but I'm not staying up til 11:30.

Edit: I get not liking Lady Gaga, but tuneless? Songs that catchy, like them or not, are not "tuneless."

That being said, I don't think it should have been up for album of the year.

Personally, I'm guessing Eminem will win Best Album, despite the fact that Arcade Fire deserves it more than every other nominated album combined. :sad:

Gaga's songs all sound amplified to the nth degree...basically, I get nothing but a headache because they sound like soldiers in the loudness war, clipping away.

Loudness War

Also, Green Day took home the award for Broadway cast recording. The Beatles studio albums boxed set won them yet another Grammy.

Or they could give Album of the Year to a shitty tack-on EP to a tuneless pop diva that arrived in an egg. :down:

Now I'll be even happier if she wins.

Or not, since the Grammys suck and anywhere Justin Bieber wins anything can't be a decent place.

You get no argument from me in the loudness war. But her songs are catchy as hell.

I just take issue about nitpicky musical things like that. If someone says "so and so can't sing" rather than "I don't like their voice," that bugs me. (Unless I can't stand their voice, either. :wink: ) So to call something "tuneless" when half the country is singing the choruses or getting them stuck in their head all day, well .......

:wink:

My money for best album would be on Gaga. She was the only one on that list that was truly ubiquitous, that managed to reach all music demographics in one way or another.

If someone says "so and so can't sing" rather than "I don't like their voice," that bugs me. :wink:

Yeah, I can't really understand anyone calling her a poor vocalist. Her hits have had a great deal of vocal diversity, which is much more than one can say for most pop chart mainstays. In vocal terms, "Bad Romance" sounds noticeably different than "Pokerface," which sounds noticeably different from "Paparazzi."

Oh, I didn't mean her specifically - I haven't heard much criticism of her singing. I meant in general, explaining my nitpickiness over general comments like that. :)

What are the chances they forgot to poke holes in Lady Gaga's transportation cocoon?

Album of the year, we are voting for lady antebellum.

6789432-old-woman-sitting-on-a-wooden-rocking-chair-isolated-against-a-white-background.jpg

There a nice bunch of kids.

I think he's talking about the way her vocals sound, the tone of her voice, not about the structure of the songs.

Back
Top Bottom