2011 Grammy Awards Viewing Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds about right (last night was the first time in some time I've watched the Grammys, so I'll take your word on that). That "Nothin' On You" song, I like it. It's really sweet and catchy.

Angela

Should check out the rest of B.o.B.

He's got a real appreciation for all music, which is why I like him so much. Was at his concert and since he's such a new artist... most people just know of his hip-hop hits. So you'd imagine the crowd that shows up.

So when he pulls out a guitar and pretty much starts playing rock music, they're all confused. I had a blast though. Even went so far as to cover MGMT's 'Kids'.

Awesome. I find it strange that hip-hop fans would be so confused about hip-hop artists liking rock/pop music-the genres have been mixing for quite some time now. I'm always impressed at some of the obscure rock and pop samples I'll hear in rap and hip-hop songs sometimes (like, who would expect Jay-Z to throw in a sample from an Alphaville song?).

I'll certainly keep that in mind about him, then, thanks for the suggestion :). It's great to see people out there who have a deep appreciation for music of all sorts.

Angela

Oh absolutely. Jay Z did a phenomenal job with that song too.

People are so incredibly ignorant though that some hip-hop fans will attempt to call it an original, when as you know it's a cover/sample.

All three of them: B.O.B., Mars and Monae really impressed me I raved on about it immediately afterward..they all played/sang 3 different instruments during that spot, rotating between them when the numbers changed. I watched it again this morning and even sober I'm duly impressed. :up:

Oh absolutely. Jay Z did a phenomenal job with that song too.

He did. I like that song, too.

People are so incredibly ignorant though that some hip-hop fans will attempt to call it an original, when as you know it's a cover/sample.

Sad, but true. People's lack of music history/proper frame of reference tends to really bug me sometimes.

Angela

That doesn't bother me so much, it happens with every genre of music, it's just youth not knowing the roots of music. Noone over, what, 25? would ever say that about that Jay-Z song...I would HOPE! lol

What gets me every time is people who typecast artists or just write them off because they're signed to a hip hop label or generally thought of as hip hop. There's a ton of really good music out there that they're missing out on.

That doesn't bother me so much, it happens with every genre of music, it's just youth not knowing the roots of music. Noone over, what, 25? would ever say that about that Jay-Z song...I would HOPE! lol

What gets me every time is people who typecast artists or just write them off because they're signed to a hip hop label or generally thought of as hip hop. There's a ton of really good music out there that they're missing out on.

Essentially equal yet opposite of the ignorance I just talked about, yeah.

Lots of people will miss out on some great artists that area labeled as 'hip-hop' such as B.o.B.

He doesn't fall into the stereotypical garbage that you'd think of (if you think stuff like Lil Wayne, Drake, etc. is garbage (and I do)).

Another one I absolutely love is Chiddy Bang. 'hip-hop' would hardly be a classification for their music. Just so happens he throws in a rap in there every now and then. And he's black. The music though... all over the place if you were to classify it.

(if you think stuff like Lil Wayne, Drake, etc. is garbage (and I do)).

I don't think Drake is garbage per se, just way overrated and less of a true representation of what Canadian (much less true!) hip hop is than K-OS, who I love. So watching Drake just burst out and so easily overtake K-OS irritates me because he's clearly not as talented and his style gets a little boring after a while.

Agreed on Lil Wayne!

Dude's already got his acceptance speech prepped for next year's Grammys.

Yup.

There is no doubt in my mind that Twisted Fantasy wins AOTY next year the Grammys. No doubt.

I might go to Vegas and put money on it right now, actually.

Just came across this-so...uh...somebody really needs to start telling Bieber fans to chill:

Furious Bieber fans attack Spalding's online profile after Grammy upset - MSN Music News

Y'know, even at the height of my teenybopper fandom, I still had some semblance of intelligence and maturity intact.

Angela

If they see this picture, they will finish what Bobby Brown started.

article-0-0D2D20E4000005DC-671_634x907.jpg

What a tool. Look at the shoes that kid is wearing.

I'm sorry, normally I don't hate on Bieber that much, but that just bothers me.

I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me imagine why his shoes (or really, anything about him) were the thing that caught your attention.

:wink:

Honestly, it's like he's not even there. I don't even see him.

I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me imagine why his shoes (or really, anything about him) were the thing that caught your attention.

:wink:

Honestly, it's like he's not even there. I don't even see him.

:lol:

1. Upon first arriving at the picture, I realized Rihanna attempted to be sexy but failed miserably.

2. So then I kinda started examining her 'dress', or lack thereof.

3. Then I started to question why her dress is actually the leftover white Luau plastic leis.

4. Then I said, what the hell is she doing with Justin Bieber?

5. Then I said, what does Justin Bieber think he's doing wearing a white tuxedo?

6. Then I said, what the hell is wrong with that girl in the background to the right.

7. Then I said, OH HELL NO HE IS NOT DISRESPECTING THE CODE OF FORMAL WEAR.

All good things come in 7's.

Last edited:
Anybody else think Mick Jagger was really cool last night? Rolling Stones for the most part are a fucking joke at (well before) this point, but Mick did a great job.

Back
Top Bottom