2008 Looks To Be The Best of The Decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
Looking at this year's scheduled releases at the end of 2007, B&C seemed quite excited:

http://forum.interference.com/f221/2008-release-list-182730.html

We are almost 2/3 through the year and know the remaining releases of 2008. So how has the year treated you musically? With what you've heard so far and the potential of the upcoming releases in the next four months where do you think this year will rank compared to the rest of the decade?

Personally, this looks like it could be the best year of this decade. These are the best albums of the decade in my opinion:

The top tier (all-time classics.)
1. A Rush Of Blood To The Head by Coldplay (2002)
2. Aerial by Kate Bush (2005)
3. The Dresden Dolls by The Dresden Dolls (2003)
4. Liars by Todd Rundgren (2004)
5. The Dark Third by Pure Reason Revolution (2006)

Second tier (just short of being classics.)
6. Who Killed Amanda Palmer? By Amanda Palmer (2008)
7. Viva La Vida by Coldplay (2008)
8. American Doll Posse by Tori Amos (2007)
9. Marry Me by St. Vincent (2007)
10. Bloodflowers by The Cure (2000)
11. Fear Of A Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree (2007)
12. No, Virginia by The Dresden Dolls (2008)

2007 had a lot of good to great albums but no classics. It probably had a lot more great releases that any year since really the early to mid 90's. Now in 2008, there are already two albums better than anything from last year.

Great releases from this year:

American Gothic EP by Smashing Pumpkins
Some People Have Real Problems by Sia
Into The Future by Black Mountain
No, Virginia by The Dresden Dolls
Viva La Vida by Coldplay
Who Killed Amanda Palmer? by Amanda Palmer

New albums from:

The Verve
The Cure
U2
Todd Rundgren

:hyper:

It's been pretty meh for me so far.

The only thing I've been excited about this year has been the Nick Cave album, and very little upcoming music has me excited either. The Eno/Byrne album is sounding very good though.

Last year was absolutely insane... a terrific mix of great "indie" albums and great albums by established artists, at least in my opinion.

If this is what you feel may be your "best year" for the decade, then more power to ya.

Its been a good year for me so far.
I've enjoyed new albums by R.E.M., Portishead, M83, Cut Copy, Weezer, Coldplay, B52's, The Hold Steady, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, and now Bloc Party.

In addition we have new albums by The Killers, Okkervil River, TV on the Radio, and U2 to look forward to.

2008 is shaping up to be very good.

Last year was indeed very satisfying. For me at least.

I mean, my top 20 was absolutely stacked (in no order):

Radiohead
LCD Soundsystem
Explosions in the Sky
Wilco
Kanye West
Bruce Springsteen
The White Stripes
Spoon
The Shins
Okkervil River
The National
Modest Mouse
M.I.A.
The Good, the Bad, and the Queen
Bright Eyes
Black Francis
Arcade Fire
Andrew Bird
Jonny Greenwood
Eddie Vedder

Goddamn.

This has been an extremely good year for me so far.

Radiohead
Ours
Luna Halo
Coldplay
Weezer
Foxglove Hunt
The Fratellis
The Kooks
The Music
The Last Shadow Puppets
Supergrass
Phantom Planet
Thrice
Tokyo Police Club

and then the upcoming releases of....

The Cure
U2
Oasis
The Killers
Starflyer 59
etc. (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

I dunno about best of the decade, but I'm really looking forward to The Fall of Troy and of course U2 this year. The Killers will hopefully be good too. And we just got Bloc Party, which made the year even better than I thought it'd be. I still need to pick up Norma Jean's latest and Thrice. honestly my favourite album of this year so far is probably Tokyo Police Club's Elephant Shell. Viva La Vida was decent enough, but not enough to warrant this year as particularly good.

I dunno about best of the decade, but I'm really looking forward to The Fall of Troy and of course U2 this year. The Killers will hopefully be good too. And we just got Bloc Party, which made the year even better than I thought it'd be. I still need to pick up Norma Jean's latest and Thrice. honestly my favourite album of this year so far is probably Tokyo Police Club's Elephant Shell. Viva La Vida was decent enough, but not enough to warrant this year as particularly good.

My favourite is Ours. Did you listen to that yet?

Great to see another Ours fan, although I was slightly disappointed by the album, it's still good... They are a band that I'm still waiting for them to reach their potential...

I can agree with this--while I thought their newest effort was strong, it had a few weaker points. I do think that 8 of the first 9 songs are some of the best out this year (and Murder being perhaps my favourite song released this year).

I can agree with this--while I thought their newest effort was strong, it had a few weaker points. I do think that 8 of the first 9 songs are some of the best out this year (and Murder being perhaps my favourite song released this year).

Have you ever seen them live? I've seen Jimmy live w/band and solo several times... absolutely amazing. He and I got into a discussion over some pints, he thinks AB is the "Bible of Music", his words not mine.

Have you ever seen them live? I've seen Jimmy live w/band and solo several times... absolutely amazing. He and I got into a discussion over some pints, he thinks AB is the "Bible of Music", his words not mine.

I saw them live late last year. It's the only time I've seen them, but I've got friends who worked on the new album with him at various points of the writing stages--and he guested on one of my favourite bands' only album. Also, a guy I knew who is playing keys for The Raconteurs live right now has joined Jimmy onstage to play Sometimes in LA a few times. Anyway, I knew he was a U2 fan but don't remember why I knew that. Maybe their next album will show progress--if it doesn't take six years to release like this one.

There are still a number of upcoming releases I'm looking forward to through the next few months:

Okkervil River
Mogwai
The Cure
TV on the Radio
Of Montreal
Los Campesinos!
The Music (North American release...was on Amazon, now gone?)
Annie
Deerhunter
The Decemberists singles series
U2 - if it gets released this year
Grizzly Bear - if it gets released this year

Some I'll keep my eyes on:
Peter Bjorn and John instrumental album
Calexico
The Clientele EP
The Radio Dept.
Metallica
The Streets
Clipse - if it gets released this year

Not to mention all the things that have come out this year I just haven't purchased yet, or will likely be announced and released before the year ends. Every year it always seems to me that the people who say it's a crap year for music are the same people who never post about more than one or two artists. It should go without saying that if you don't listen to or research much music, every year will be a slow year for music for you.

Great fucking album, btw.

I need to just friggin' order it from Amazon, can get a new import for only $8 or so from some of the "sellers" now. You're the second person to tell me it's great. How would you compare it to their first two in ranking/style/whatev?

I need to just friggin' order it from Amazon, can get a new import for only $8 or so from some of the "sellers" now. You're the second person to tell me it's great. How would you compare it to their first two in ranking/style/whatev?

It's closer to the second album in style. It's catchier than either of the first two albums, in my opinion. The first 4 songs on the album, though, are better than the last 8. It suffers a little bit from sameness, I suppose, but that's just their sound.

So far:

R.E.M.
Hold Steady
Vampire Weekend
Last Shadow Puppets
Bloc Party
Mudcrutch
Coldplayers

Still to come:

U2 (not to get all WTAHNN on you, but I'm starting to get worried that this won't show up until '09 :angry:)
KINGS OF LEON (No-one has mentioned the Kings!)
Oasis
Okkervil
TV on the Radio
Taylor Swift
Dr. Dre?
Lily Allen?
The Streets
Metallica

Not a bad year. Not bad at all...

Fuck, I forgot about the My Morning Jacket album we were blessed with already this year. I have to bust out the ass pepper every time I listen to that one.

:drool:

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2 FTW

It's been a year for the big bands to me.

New albums so far from;
Radiohead (If you consider In Rainbows got it's official retail release on January 1st)
R.E.M.
Nick Cave
Coldplay

Still to come;
Oasis
U2
Kings Of Leon
Killers

Personally, I think the best is still to come. The only albums I've heard out of the list that are out so far are R.E.M. and Radiohead's albums. Both of which I think are brilliant. I haven't gotten around to listening to Nick Cave and I couldn't be arsed with Coldplay.
I'm really looking forward to U2, Kings Of Leon and Killers. If those 3 albums live up to to how good I think they'll be it could well be the best year of the decade in terms of music for me.

My favourite is Ours. Did you listen to that yet?

Great to see another Ours fan, although I was slightly disappointed by the album, it's still good... They are a band that I'm still waiting for them to reach their potential...

If you guys are fans of Gnecco in particular have you checked out The Neverending White Lights? He does guest vocals for several songs...

yep, quite a good year me thinks..:up:

and don't bash me but also albums from Keane and Snow Patrol are happening this year. :reject:

looking forward to those as well as The Verve, U2, The Killers and The Cure...:D

Back
Top Bottom