20 Years Since The Death Of Kurt Cobain - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Well ostensibly it would be stuff since the last album which would give some clue as to what might have been next ie what he was working on but unfinished..
In Utero was released Sept 13 1993, they toured consistently until the beginning of March 1994, he died April 5, 1994, so I don't think there was much worked on between In Utero and his death.

He didn't have the benefit of 5 plus years and 23 different producers like some bands.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

I'm not sure there is a proper comparison right now. What popped into my head was Kendrick but he hasn't made as much of a mark.
Yeah I don't think there's any artist currently that would translate similarly.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
In Utero was released Sept 13 1993, they toured consistently until the beginning of March 1994, he died April 5, 1994, so I don't think there was much worked on between In Utero and his death.
There wasn't much. Two songs on the Box Set. And as far as I know, Novaselic went through everything to put that Box Set together. So it's not like there is something lying around waiting to be found.

You Know You're Right was released. Do Re Mi is, for all practical purposes, likely considered the last song he ever wrote (less finished than YKYR). It was an acoustic song from the Box Set. It's rough (early demo) but a great tune.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
I'll assume age and geography probably limit your full understanding of the Beatles' and Lennon's impact on culture, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But be sure Lennon's "godlike status" in comparison to the other 3 you refer to was well in place long before his death. Lennon was always the most revered of the Beatles and had he lived and never released anything else, or released multiple albums of Yoko imitating injured animals, he would always be the most revered. (to even in passing suggest Ringo would be bigger is so laughable it destroys any credibility your opinion on the subject might warrant.)

Lennon's death was second to only one other musician's in terms of cultural impact. Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain, Tupac, Biggie, Jackson, Houston, Hutchence, Mercury, Holly and every other musician who died tragically young didn't measure up to Lennon in terms of their impact, there is only one who did and exceeded him and that's Elvis Presley.

Assume away.

Maybe he would be, but at least the gap would be smaller between him and McCartney and Harrison had he lived. (no one said Ringo wold be bigger)

True. Then again, none of the others were a former Beatle.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
It's about your perverse agenda to reduce any other band and/or musician to a stereotype based on a pathetic pun you got from the only band you actually seem to know something about. Educate yourself and stop being a wise-ass. You have no idea how stupid you look to people here.

"Choosing" depression? Go and troll in your own backyard.
I doubt U2 invented the line.

And refer to the person who originally brought up "choosing" depression.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
My argument wasn't that Double Fantasy's sales weren't to some degree benefited from by passing (although it was far too early to judge the fate of that album after three weeks of sales), merely that it wasn't exactly a huge career move when there wasn't much further up for him to go. His legacy was already sealed, unlike Kurt, who probably wouldn't be as respected today if he had run out of ideas. Two classic albums followed by years of garbage wouldn't be enough.

Plus, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that Lennon would have only damaged his discography after 1980. That's not a foregone conclusion. McCartney hit on some inspiration in the late 90s and has been riding it ever since. Lennon surely had more great material left in him.
Like I said...it was a comeback after 5 years of no recording. It then got the sales and the Grammy. And thus the Lennon myth was born, compared to other Beatles. Even compared to other prematurely gone 60's legends.

He had very good opening two solo albums that he never matched. To say nothing of the songwriting level of the Beatles.
McCartney did get good reviews for his latter day solo albums but I think few would argue his solo work would rival his best writing as a Beatle.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:56 PM
The myth was born? As it's already been said here, John was the most enigmatic, fascinating, and funniest of the Fab Four. His mythology was well in place by that point, his assassination just put a dark punctuation on it. He had already hit rock bottom, come back up to a happy family life, and was writing his most accessible (if tamer) music in 10 years.

Get real. Better yet, get out. No one takes you seriously.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
I doubt U2 invented the line.
And you miss the point yet again.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:56 AM
so, how about that kurt cobain guy?

to be honest, i don't think i heard a single nirvana song til about 1997 or 98. i lived under a rock until then, and listened exclusively to the beatles and the local oldies station, and if i heard anyone talking about cobain at the time of his death, it didn't register cos i had no idea who the guy was. and i had practically no interest in the band til 2001, when all that 10th anniversary of nevermind stuff was going on in all the guitar magazines i read at the time. i figured that was as good a time as any to get into them, so i went and found nevermind and in utero on cassette from the used music store (my cd player was broken, i swear i was not trying to live up any pathetic hipster fantasy of 10 years prior with 10 year old technology. really). 2001 doesn't seem like it was that long ago to me now, as i'm sure 1991 didn't seem like it was that long ago in 2001 to people born about 8+ years earlier than i was.

sliver would easily rank in my top 20 favorite songs of all time.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
(no one said Ringo wold be bigger)

Quote:
. I would argue Lennon would not be seen as bigger than the other three
So you meant Paul, George and who? Pete Best? Stu Sutcliffe?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
and listened exclusively to the beatles and the local oldies station,
So you know Ringo was a bigger cultural icon than John Lennon, right.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #87
45:33

Local Time: 05:56 PM
I know we all hate U2girl, but I get where she was coming from. MJ and Elvis are probably the two greatest examples of artists whose sales exploded when they passed on.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:56 AM
Quote:
So you know Ringo was a bigger cultural icon than John Lennon, right.
Being so far removed from the 60s, I missed that memo and fell for the revisionist history that painted Lennon as a much bigger deal. ya know, he was killed before I was born.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #89
Refugee

Quote:
Like I said...it was a comeback after 5 years of no recording. It then got the sales and the Grammy. And thus the Lennon myth was born, compared to other Beatles. Even compared to other prematurely gone 60's legends.

He had very good opening two solo albums that he never matched. To say nothing of the songwriting level of the Beatles.
McCartney did get good reviews for his latter day solo albums but I think few would argue his solo work would rival his best writing as a Beatle.
I'm at a complete loss to this birth of the "Lennon myth" that you refer to. He was well established as a musical genius and cultural icon long before he was killed. Hell, I wasn't even born when he died, but a cursory exploration of the music archives makes that fact abundantly clear. Your post is the most bizarre example of revisionist history I've read on a music forum anywhere. Which is saying something.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #90
Babyface

Local Time: 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I know this is supposed to be one of those events that you remember exactly where you were when you heard the news. But you know what? I don't.

I was very busy with my last semester of college and I didn't have a TV at the time. Internet of course barely existed. I'm sure someone told me but I really have no memory of it.
It was the headline on ABC news, the 6:30 evening news with Peter Jennings. That's where are I heard it. Others may have heard it earlier on CNN, MTV, or the radio.

Its strange, almost no one knew who Kurt Cobain was in September 1991, and in just 2 years and 7 months, he would leave the planet in this way.