20 Years Since The Death Of Kurt Cobain - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Harrison's death: not a big deal media-wise. Yes, he died of cancer but it's not like he was young or in his prime.

And Houston and Jackson's deaths, while sudden, were directly or indirectly the result of unhealthy living, and people already thought they were in bad shape. Also not the same.

Cobain was someone who was young, in his prime, and near the peak of his popularity when he died. He had a young child at home. And he seemed to be on the cusp of a major change in direction musically.

So you have a situation like Hendrix where a talented individual dies with just a few albums under their belts, and the suicide angle made it sensational news. Plus, he was considered (deservedly or not) the spokesperson for an era in pop culture.

Really trumps the other examples.
Plus the manner of death was probably the most shocking outside of John Lennon or Dimebag Darrell.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I was 21 and a moderate fan of Nirvana when Cobain died. I wasn't surprised he had taken his life. He had tried before. It was sad because he was immensely talented to say the least. When he died, to me, grunge died. Probably for another year or so, you had the grunge ripple effect, but by 1996, that genre faded away. They were white hot during my college years and I'll never forget that time or the music.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Can I ask this - because I genuinely don't know. Did he have serious mental health issues? I want to tread carefully here because the last thing I want to do is come off sounding like INDY and call him selfish and an asshole for killing himself and leaving behind a family. It's just... in some of the conversations I've had with Nirvana and Cobain sycophants over the years, they paint his suicide as almost heroic... in a sense like he killed himself because he didn't want to sell out over his music, that he was taking some sort of anti-corporate stand by killing himself. I've honestly seen people who treat him as this Jesus-like figure, that his suicide was a way of "dying for our sins", dying for the sins of a music environment where there were label pressures and the like. And I guess I've probably fallen for that mythologising at times.

Cobain had a stomach problem that, I believe, no one could ever diagnose but that would cause him considerable physical discomfort/pain. Supposedly he first started using heroin because he claimed it was the only thing that made his stomach feel better. Of course that led to hard-core heroin addiction.

It is also generally accepted that he suffered from lifelong undiagnosed depression, which is probably at least partially stemmed from his pretty-much-unhappy childhood(broken home, didn't much care for either parent, spent a lot of time living with aunts/uncles, friends, etc, instead of them) and subsequent lack of love for himself.

He was a disturbed guy from what I read. Apparently he had been preoccupied with death since he was a child, often writing about it and painting(or otherwise creating works of art) about it.

As for the corporate/sell-out thing...I used to buy that when I was younger, as recent as my early 20s, but I'm almost 30 now and I recently read a book about him that pretty much spelled out that that was bullshit, that nobody in Nirvana was more aggressive about sending demo tapes out, 'making it' and getting a record deal than Cobain.

So, yeah, mix undiagnosed depression with undiagnosed physical ailments with heroin addiction, and it's not a good recipe.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Cobain had a stomach problem that, I believe, no one could ever diagnose but that would cause him considerable physical discomfort/pain. Supposedly he first started using heroin because he claimed it was the only thing that made his stomach feel better. Of course that led to hard-core heroin addiction.

It is also generally accepted that he suffered from lifelong undiagnosed depression, which is probably at least partially stemmed from his pretty-much-unhappy childhood(broken home, didn't much care for either parent, spent a lot of time living with aunts/uncles, friends, etc, instead of them) and subsequent lack of love for himself.

He was a disturbed guy from what I read. Apparently he had been preoccupied with death since he was a child, often writing about it and painting(or otherwise creating works of art) about it.

As for the corporate/sell-out thing...I used to buy that when I was younger, as recent as my early 20s, but I'm almost 30 now and I recently read a book about him that pretty much spelled out that that was bullshit, that nobody in Nirvana was more aggressive about sending demo tapes out, 'making it' and getting a record deal than Cobain.

So, yeah, mix undiagnosed depression with undiagnosed physical ailments with heroin addiction, and it's not a good recipe.

This is what I remember from the outset. Never even heard that "sell out" theory. Revisionist bullshit.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This. It's even mentioned in the suicide note. And I think his published journals cover this in detail. His mother also confirmed it after his death.

It seems crazy that at the end of the 20th century someone could have chronic pain that no drug would alleviate, but there you have it.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

20 Years Since The Death Of Kurt Cobain

Quote:

huh. I knew about his depression issues, but didn't know as much about the stomach ailment. I'd be willing to bet he had crohn's disease or another form of ibd...it usually takes years to diagnose and even then, you need to have a great doctor to spot it. and then, it can be near impossible to manage if you've got severe disease that refuses to respond to treatments. I have it and have a vicodin script for joint pain that I take very occasionally. my symptoms are always their best the day after taking one, so I could see how heroin would help slow his stomach down, etc.

it's terrible how modern medicine failed him in multiple ways though...
Old 04-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
The Male

Yeah Pennyroyal Tea is about his stomach ailments.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

wow yeah, not sure how I missed that when I was younger and listened to nirvana more regularly. it's extremely obvious looking at the lyrics now..."anemic royalty," "warm milk and laxatives," "cherry-flavored antacids."
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
I also have very bad posture.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #25
45:33

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:

I didn't really know any of this, not even the heroin addiction, makes a lot more sense now, thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I didn't really know any of this, not even the heroin addiction, makes a lot more sense now, thanks.
When he died he had enough heroin in his system to render a person essentially incapacitated, hence theories that he was murdered.

Courtney Love had him killed
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #27
45:33

Local Time: 09:16 PM
She found MH370 tho
Old 04-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
A person can develop quite a tolerance to narcotics, so what might incapacitate you or me wouldn't have as much effect on a hard core addict.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Plus the manner of death was probably the most shocking outside of John Lennon or Dimebag Darrell.
Also, the biggest "death is a career move" since Lennon.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
I don't see how Lennon's death fits the "career move" category whatsoever.