20 year nostalgia trend , didn't happen this time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yea, the kids i talked to did care about hendrix. I see what your saying. Yeah, they are some posers who just wear it to be 'retro cool". But even if you factor them out, still got alot of people who seek out the records and know it. More then people who are seeking a 80's artist. I think people who liked the early 90's artists for example wanted to seek out the classic rock artists who influenced them. The people who like the killers are not seeking the 80's bands out who influenced them. Remember, this is a message board with alot of intense and educated music fans. So yea, on here it gonna appear they are doing that. What i am saying is, the casual fan isn't at all.

No i am not ignoring what people. I just don;t agree. I am not gonna lie. i don't see it. i didn't say the 80's didn't have great music. Just not as much as the 60,'s,70's and 90's. i do see the 80's influence in some 00's. Didn't change my view. I don't really wanna get into fights as much as i just wanna see what other people think. If it seems like i'm ignoring anyone i;m not. With all due respect, i do believe in the 20 year cycle.

you're arguing two different points though. Are you saying that the 80s have had no influence, no comeback, or are you saying it just didnt have as good of music?

The people who like the killers are not seeking the 80's bands out who influenced them. Remember, this is a message board with alot of intense and educated music fans. So yea, on here it gonna appear they are doing that. What i am saying is, the casual fan isn't at all.

Bollocks. For example, 80s nostalgia events, complete with 80s music, are rather popular amongst all kinds of demographics, not just serious music fans (hell, if we want to play the "what people I know are doing" game, my best friend is at just such an event right now). More popular than nostalgia events for any other decade!

No i am not ignoring what people. I just don;t agree. I am not gonna lie. i don't see it. i didn't say the 80's didn't have great music. Just not as much as the 60,'s,70's and 90's. i do see the 80's influence in some 00's. Didn't change my view. I don't really wanna get into fights as much as i just wanna see what other people think. If it seems like i'm ignoring anyone i;m not. With all due respect, i do believe in the 20 year cycle.

You're never going to see it if you remain wilfully blind to people pointing out examples of the 80s in action. Why did you even bother making this thread? It's quite obvious you don't want your view changed.

And this "20 year cycle" is just based on a bunch of convenient correlations. I wonder, was there a 1930s revival in the 1950s? An 1880s revival in the 1900s?

Let's be honest. People in their twenties, making a lot of the new music out there, will sometimes reflect the music they knew in their childhood. That's the closest you can get to any theory, and it's never going to work perfectly. Especially when people have more and more readily accessible recordings from more and more different time periods to draw upon. Somebody whose formative years were in the 1980s may have been more exposed to 1960s music in revival, so their influence would in fact reflect the 1960s as seen by the 1980s.

You could say, that i feel that the bad music of that decade, was so bad, that it prevented a comeback of that decade to the the levels the previous decades enjoyed. The image of hair metal and bad cheesy synth pop ruined it for the great bands . For the record, i know their was some great snyth music that inspired today artists. However, i feel their was alot of bad snyth as well. real bad. bad enough to cancel out the good. And because of that, nobody is seeking the decade out with the intensity and urgency that past decades did with older music.

You could say, that i feel that the bad music of that decade, was so bad, that it prevented a comeback of that decade to the the levels the previous decades enjoyed. The image of hair metal and bad cheesy synth pop ruined it for the great bands . For the record, i know their was some great snyth music that inspired today artists. However, i feel their was alot of bad snyth as well. real bad. bad enough to cancel out the good. And because of that, nobody is seeking the decade out with the intensity and urgency that past decades did with older music.

I officially forbid you to speak to me :grumpy:

You say i don't want my view changed. I say, Its not gonna to change overnight. Cause if it did, then i truly didn't believe it anyway. I have felt this way for a while now.

You clearly don't know much about either metal or synth pop. The amount of retro thrash made this decade is ridiculous, and synth pop has certainly been well-represented in the charts of late.

when did music from 20 years ago ever reach the popularity it had previously? the only example i can think of is when bohemian rhapsody topped the charts in the 70s and again in the 90s. even then, that's one song. older music's primary goal is to influence musicians. just because karma chameleon didn't reach #1 in the 80s and again this decade doesn't render all 80s music irrelevant and crappy.

For the record, i notice no one has really answered the other question i proposed. Where is music going? because everyone is more interested in the 80s debate because its more volatile and stand off-ish. Shows this board is more about fights then anything else. I didn't attack anyone personally on here.

For the record, i notice no one has really answered the other question i proposed. Where is music going? because everyone is more interested in the 80s debate because its more volatile and stand off-ish. Shows this board is more about fights then anything else. I didn't attack anyone personally on here.
And no one is attacking you, just defending the music some of us love a great deal, far as I can tell.

As far as where music's going? Hard to tell at this point, thus I didn't offer an answer.

I didn't answer that because I've no bloody clue. I'm not much into crystal-balling. It's easier to discuss what's already happened than make assumptions about what MAY happen. In any case, the music I'm most interested in is rather underground, and I could hardly give a toss where the mainstream goes.

Though I will contribute a decades ranking:
1. 2000s
2. 1990s
3. 1980s
4. 1970s
5. 1960s

Yeah, that's right. I think music is constantly progressing and getting better. Each decade builds upon and responds to the cumulative influences of the decades before it.

(Plus it's an easy choice for me to rank the 1990s and 2000s as my favourite decades since my two preferred kinds of music effectively did not exist before then.)

just because karma chameleon didn't reach #1 in the 80s and again this decade doesn't render all 80s music irrelevant and crappy.

Ummm... that's probably not the best choice of songs if you're trying to prove not all 80s songs were crap. It's hideous. It was hideous in the 80s and it still is. Ugh, ugh, ugh! :yuck:

One of the first things i learned about in rock history was the 20 year nostalgia trend that occurred . At least until now it did. The 50's came back in the 70's, 60's in the 80's, 70's in the '90s. I can attest personally to the latter two . I absolutely remember that being the case. When i was in school i remember the older groups being almost as cool as the newer ones. However, in this decade the 80's did not comeback. Not even close. My opinion is that ,frankly its not a overall good decade for music. Most of the popular music has not stood the test of time. No one gives a shit about that music and nobody called for it to come back. Sure, they are plenty of great bands. Including the band that this site is for. But honestly it seems to me the trend didn't really happen this time. The only 80's groups that had success are ones that had transcended the decade on their own. I kinda got thinking about this after reading the rolling stone poll about artist of the decade. I also wondered what people rank as the the best decade for music. For me, i cant rank the 50's because it was the first decade of rock, and the genre was so new and all. It kinda stands on its own, as it will always stand as the first decade of rock. Otherwise, i would go
1.1970's
2.1960's
3.1990's
4.1980's
5.2000's.

The 70's and 60's are very close for me. Incredible music and innovation. The 80's and 00's are overall bad, and while their are great bands, the amount of bad,dated, and very badly aged music is very high . This decade being the most directionless, and disjointed of them all. The 90's right in the middle. Felt the first half was very strong, and then after 95 started to get lost. Like the the entire '00s decade. But not quite as bad. (but instead of getting better in 2000, just got way worse.).
I mean i think this is a very fair question. We just have completed the 6th decade of rock music. Where have we been and god help us, where are we going? Will music get better? Will the 90's music come back to enjoy a nostalgia run? (that would make the 80's look bad , because as far as i'm concerned they got skipped, and rightfully so.) Trends?

Yeah, everyone else has jumped on your false point that the '80s didn't "come back," so I'll refrain from discussing that part.

Kind of going off of what Axver said, you do get these 20-year resurgences, but they serve to create either a new genre or reshape a previous trend in a way that goes beyond just a nostalgia fix.

I think when you factor the musical "quality" of a decade, as subjective as that could be, you have to consider the cultural impact of something and whether or not it left a positive residual effect. Disco, for example, is generally regarded as shit, and rightfully so, but even then, you have some amazing pop work to be found with The Bee Gees, Donna Summer, KC & the Sunshine Band, etc... and its response, the Punk scene, was equally as influential and, in my opinion, better. It's all about action and reaction, you know?

A band like The Killers has the benefit of having that well of artists to choose from, like Duran Duran or Bruce Springsteen, to formulate their sound, but that doesn't necessarily mean its better than either source, just different. We also are lucky as hell to live in an age where music is more readily available and possibly outside of a corporate system to consume. The underground bands of the '60s and '70s that weren't as fortunate as The Velvet Underground would thrive in this era.

It's hard to rank, but based on what I've heard:

The 1970s
The 1960s
The 2000s
The 1990s
The 1980s

I see if i had asked the question without giving my thoughts on the 80's it may have been better. Still other then that its all fair questions. And once again, just cause i set the 50's apart doesn't mean everyone has too. I pick the 70's in part in because i felt more musical ground was broken in that decade then the others with 60's being a really close 2nd. I felt the '80's - '00s didn't have as much of that. Didn't say their wasn't any, just not as much. Thats part of it.

I don't buy this theory one bit.

The 70's making a comeback in the 90's is pretty solid, no one is going to deny that.

The 50's making a comeback in the 70's, um I think 70's TV and movies did a lot 50's nostalgia like Happy Days, American Graffitti, but muscially I can't think of how this happened, but of course I was a kid.

The 60's making a comeback in the 80's, I can't think of any examples that come to mind.

The 80's coming back in the 2000, absolutely:

The fashion has come back(much to my dismay).

Duran Duran had a bit of resurge this decade.

The Killers and many synth bands...

Hair metal/glam definately made a comeback even if it was short lived; think Darkness, Poison, Ratt, and many others went back on tour this decade.

The Donnas and other like them are very much a throw back to the 80's.

And how many 80's movies are being remade? I saw a commercial that remade the Breakfast Club dance scene, Footloose is being remade, Karate Kid remake, another Ghostbusters, and another Goonies.

In short this theory failed.

I think that every decade has a comeback during any particular decade if you look toward the right sort of music. For instance, this decade has wrought Fleet Foxes, The Strokes, Cut Copy, and Silversun Pickups. That's pretty much every decade represented, no? Each of these bands were inspired by past decades and yet are clearly of the now. :shrug: I think this is sort of a soft topic.

Well hold on a minute. Just because someone toured dosn't mean they came back. The hair metal bands (outside of a bon jovi) have to tour in muti act tours because they can't sell on their own. They are no way "back". Please, please, you can attack me for alot of stuff, but don;t sell me on that hair metal. I do not respect them, and they did not come back. If anything i admit my distaste for them may cloud my judgement. i think they were a huge black eye on the decade. Duran duran came back? i know they were talked about for a bit, but i can't call that a comeback. i remember the 80's and at least where i was the 60's enjoyed a very nice Renaissance. Now i wasn't around for the 50's/'70s thing. However most rock and roll history books i read, as well being taught this in a classroom. after the burnout of the 60's the baby boomers rediscovered the music of their early childhood. The 1950's. It was one of the first things i ever learned about rock. The synth stuff i will make a effort to check into. I also feel those bands like the killers have a strong 70's influence as well.

Well hold on a minute. Just because someone toured dosn't mean they came back.
I'm not saying they made a come back, but there was a reason they all got back together and toured, and I'm pretty sure a lot had to do with the fact that there was this resurgence of glam bands and they thought they could cash in on that. In fact there's a whole genre called nu-glam, that are all inspired by Poison, Ratt, etc...

The hair metal bands (outside of a bon jovi) have to tour in muti act tours because they can't sell on their own. They are no way "back". Please, please, you can attack me for alot of stuff, but don;t sell me on that hair metal. I do not respect them, and they did not come back.
There's no attack, but you can't deny that there wasn't a resurgence this decade. Hair metal wise:The Darkness, Tokio Hotel, etc...

i remember the 80's and at least where i was the 60's enjoyed a very nice Renaissance.
Can you give me example, I can't really think of any...

I think Killers are definately a combo between a Duran Duran and U2 ripoff... Bloc Party I thought were very 80's...

You may not like it, but it has happened.

The other examples I can think of were the female solo albums of the 2000's Gwen Stefani, Fergie, the celebs gone pop like Paris and Heidi what's her name, etc all had 80's pop throw back feels, at least the few songs I heard.

I could name 70-80 artists from this decade that have either dabbled in or fully latched onto 80s throwback sounds, but even if I had 700-800, it wouldn't be enough for this guy.

the doors came back in a big way in the 80's . I don;t consider bands like the darkness hair metal. I'm talking about bands like dokken,warrent,skid row,poison, winger. Now one person agreed with me that the 70's did come back in the 90's. You really feel the 80's came back just as strong in this decade? i mean, maybe i just am looking for something more then just bands from '00s with a 80's influenced sound as proof.

the doors came back in a big way in the 80's .
The Doors came back when the movie came out which was 91.

I don;t consider bands like the darkness hair metal.
Then there is probably no helping you.

Now one person agreed with me that the 70's did come back in the 90's.
I think it was pretty obvious that the 70's came back in the 90's...

You really feel the 80's came back just as strong in this decade? i mean, maybe i just am looking for something more then just bands from '00s with a 80's influenced sound as proof.
It's been said before, you just aren't going to concede. You could be sitting in a room with Block Party,the Donnas, Kanye in his shudder shades, all the new synth bands, guys with popped collars, and all the 80's remakes you want and you would still deny it for the sake of making your insane theory work...

Then i guess their is something in the comebacks of the other decades that i am not seeing this time. oh well. Either that, or i feel the the other comebacks were so powerful that they make this one look weaker. I have heard the darkness and i think they sound better then warrent/dokken/poison regardless if those bands did influence them. The doors movie was in 1991. Because of their music coming back in the 80's leading up to that. If anything, i'm wrong by a couple months going the other way. The use of "the end" apocalypse now in late 1979 got it started. Its noted that way in many history books. But its something i can't explain in words why i don't see the 80's in the same way everyone else does. So i'm not discussing it any further. If i do change my mind its certainly not going happen in a few days. I'm not be gonna like "oh well, i felt this way for a real long time but a few people told me on a message board that this was so and so, i better do a 180 overnight". So thats what i say to the people who say i;m not listening. However, i think the decades ranking is still interesting just to see what people feel. Next time, i'll start a thread on something i;m not sure about yet.

Oh man, hearing "Sleepyhead" at the local hipster dance club last night made my night. THE PASH!

I'm glad that you are far away then, because it was AWESOME.

"Sleepyhead" + odd trance remix of "Roxanne" = night of win.

Back
Top Bottom