20 year nostalgia trend , didn't happen this time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
One of the first things i learned about in rock history was the 20 year nostalgia trend that occurred . At least until now it did. The 50's came back in the 70's, 60's in the 80's, 70's in the '90s. I can attest personally to the latter two . I absolutely remember that being the case. When i was in school i remember the older groups being almost as cool as the newer ones. However, in this decade the 80's did not comeback. Not even close. My opinion is that ,frankly its not a overall good decade for music. Most of the popular music has not stood the test of time. No one gives a shit about that music and nobody called for it to come back. Sure, they are plenty of great bands. Including the band that this site is for. But honestly it seems to me the trend didn't really happen this time. The only 80's groups that had success are ones that had transcended the decade on their own. I kinda got thinking about this after reading the rolling stone poll about artist of the decade. I also wondered what people rank as the the best decade for music. For me, i cant rank the 50's because it was the first decade of rock, and the genre was so new and all. It kinda stands on its own, as it will always stand as the first decade of rock. Otherwise, i would go
1.1970's
2.1960's
3.1990's
4.1980's
5.2000's.

The 70's and 60's are very close for me. Incredible music and innovation. The 80's and 00's are overall bad, and while their are great bands, the amount of bad,dated, and very badly aged music is very high . This decade being the most directionless, and disjointed of them all. The 90's right in the middle. Felt the first half was very strong, and then after 95 started to get lost. Like the the entire '00s decade. But not quite as bad. (but instead of getting better in 2000, just got way worse.).
I mean i think this is a very fair question. We just have completed the 6th decade of rock music. Where have we been and god help us, where are we going? Will music get better? Will the 90's music come back to enjoy a nostalgia run? (that would make the 80's look bad , because as far as i'm concerned they got skipped, and rightfully so.) Trends?

yeah i'd say there's been quite a resurgence in 80s music this decade. i don't know if i'd say it ever went away, because at least growing up i caught a lot of flak for still liking 80s music. but of course i don't exactly live in some hip metro.

me:
80s
70s
90s
00s
60s

yeah i'd say there's been quite a resurgence in 80s music this decade. i don't know if i'd say it ever went away, because at least growing up i caught a lot of flak for still liking 80s music. but of course i don't exactly live in some hip metro.

me:
80s
70s
90s
00s
60s

I mean who all put out albums this year, off the top of my head:

U2, Bruce Springsteen, Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, Echo and the Bunnymen (not saying all these albums are good, just that they're still able to put out albums is something (also I realize Springsteen's been around a lot longer than the 80s))

And then that's not even getting into this new era of synth pop. Not to mention all of the remasters being announced for next year, as well as new albums.

Gah, I mean, even if there was that period in the 90s were it was like "ha! You listen to 80s music?" the period has definitely been a trend sort of thing pretty much from the moment it ended.

given where i'm from, i didn't know we were out of the 80s yet.
conchords-nzt.jpg

we're not from the 70s, we're from new zealand.

Albums from this year alone that channel the 80s in a major way:

Passion Pit - Manners
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Metric - Fantasies
Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
Röyksopp - Junior
Bell X1 - Blue Lights On The Runway
The XX - XX
Miike Snow - Miike Snow
Hockey - Mind Chaos
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

Elsewhere this decade, mostly over the past 5 years, band like Cut Copy, The Knife, Goldfrapp, Hot Chip, and Junior Boys have made their name mining the 80s, to great success.

The synth really has become more popular than any time in recent memory, it's ubiquitous at this point. You must be almost completely ignorant of the indie scene, because new-wave has completely integrated itself into most alternative music.

I really didn't see a 80's resurgence. I saw kids wearing t shirts of 60's and 70's artists in the 80's and '90s, and still see it today. Outside of the big groups from the 80's, like u2, madonnna, metallica,bon jovi , i never see duran duran or poison t shirts ever. Just my personal experiences. Never felt the any big 80's comeback vibe. If anything, talking about 80's music got more laughter then respect. But if you disagree thats fine. I have to ask khanada, why do rank the 60's last? And one thing, if someone wants to rank the 50's in their list, you can i just choose not to.

I still have a hard time seeing the connection between this new emergence of synth heavy music and New Wave exactly. Like, I wouldn't CALL it New Wave, but it's definitely influenced by, and hearkens back to it. But that's off the point.

Also you left out The Killers :tsk:.

I really didn't see a 80's resurgence. I saw kids wearing t shirts of 60's and 70's artists in the 80's and '90s, and still see it today. Outside of the big groups from the 80's, like u2, madonnna, metallica,bon jovi , i never see duran duran or poison t shirts ever. Just my personal experiences. Never felt the any big 80's comeback vibe. If anything, talking about 80's music got more laughter then respect. But if you disagree thats fine. I have to ask khanada, why do rank the 60's last? And one thing, if someone wants to rank the 50's in their list, you can i just choose not to.

Nevermind what bands are on the t-shirts, how about the clothes themselves? The fashion has been making almost as much as a resurgence as the music :shudder:

kids wear those shirts because fake vintage shirts are all the rage now. go up to the random kid wearing a pink floyd shirt and he might not even know who they are. musically though, the 80s have made a comeback this decade. tons of artists have been coming out and saying their inspiration was 80s music. the only person i ever see wearing a duran duran shirt is me, but i do still see people wearing 80s tees. usually they're other forms of pop culture, like from an 80s movie or something nintendo-related.

i ranked the 60s last because that decade's music does nothing for me. early 60s is forgettable to me; the decade didn't get interesting until the late 60s. so to me those couple years just can't compete with other decades of having 10 years of music i like.

Oh wow, fail on my part. Hot Fuss is one of the best examples of synth-pop I can name this decade.

And on that note, as I actually said to you via IM just now, allbecauseofu2, if you really do what to hear some heavily 80s influenced music produced this decade, The Horrors' Primary Colours is probably the best example I can think of.

Nevermind what bands are on the t-shirts, how about the clothes themselves? The fashion has been making almost as much as a resurgence as the music :shudder:
yeah, i dressed up all 80s for halloween, and i had no problem finding any of my clothes. i didn't buy an 80s costume or anything, so everything i picked were things you can find at the mall today. hell, claire's even sells slap bracelets again. (though i can't remember if that was late 80s or early 90s)

yeah, i dressed up all 80s for halloween, and i had no problem finding any of my clothes. i didn't buy an 80s costume or anything, so everything i picked were things you can find at the mall today. hell, claire's even sells slap bracelets again. (though i can't remember if that was late 80s or early 90s)

:hmm: I remember having them when I was three or four, 1990/1991

Invented by Wisconsin teacher Stuart Anders and sold under the brand name "Slap Wrap",[1] the slap bracelet was a popular fad among children, pre-teens and teenagers in the late 1980s and early 1990s and was available in a wide variety of patterns and colors. The bracelet was banned in several schools following reports of injuries stemming from improper use.[2][3] The bracelet was later reintroduced with a plastic spring, but there were still reports of injuries.[4]
Thank you, Wiki :cute:

Just so i'm clear, i don't count the groups i said above as '80's band". u2 is not popular because of the 80's. They are not riding a 80's wave of nostalgia. And even if you count the bands like that, theirs alot more legendary acts from the 60's/70's then the 80's. . Don't think the average kid knows or cares about the hair metal and snyth pop that dominated the decade. Most kids i talk to care way more about hendrix then depeche mode.

Just so i'm clear, i don't count the groups i said above as '80's band". u2 is not popular because of the 80's. They are not riding a 80's wave of nostalgia. And even if you count the bands like that, theirs alot more legendary acts from the 60's/70's then the 80's. . Don't think the average kid knows or cares about the hair metal and snyth pop that dominated the decade. Most kids i talk to care way more about hendrix then depeche mode.

But do they actually care about Hendrix? Do they know more than Purple Haze and The Wind Cries Mary (simply, of course, because they were in Guitar Hero)?

Unless those kids pick up an instrument and make music I listen to every day, I consider their impact nil.

Or, rather, I don't consider them at all.

I realize that newer artists have sited the 80's as a influence. Still didn't see a real comeback. And if you are gonna defend the 80's i respect that. However, nobody has defended hair metal yet . And that was a popular form of music. So you cannot pretend it didn't exist. Its what really kills the decade for me to be honest. I do believe it has not aged well and deserves the the bed rep it gets. I do think some synth pop was good, but whole lot more was worse. I will be fair, the 70's had disco and that also is garbage. I do believe, the 70's has such great artists and so much great music, that can survive having disco on its resume. I feel the great 80's music is brought down by alot of bad bad music.

I realize that newer artists have sited the 80's as a influence. Still didn't see a real comeback. And if you are gonna defend the 80's i respect that. However, nobody has defended hair metal yet . And that was a popular form of music. So you cannot pretend it didn't exist. Its what really kills the decade for me to be honest. I do believe it has not aged well and deserves the the bed rep it gets. I do think some synth pop was good, but whole lot more was worse. I will be fair, the 70's had disco and that also is garbage. I do believe, the 70's has such great artists and so much great music, that can survive having disco on its resume. I feel the great 80's music is brought down by alot of bad bad music.

It's what killed the decade a bit in general, thus the anti-80s standpoint of the beginning of the 90s. It faded away though. If you don't hear the 80s influences in even mainstream music, I just don't know what else to say.

I realize that newer artists have sited the 80's as a influence. Still didn't see a real comeback.

Are you just ignoring what everybody else is posting?

See:

Albums from this year alone that channel the 80s in a major way:

Passion Pit - Manners
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Metric - Fantasies
Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
Röyksopp - Junior
Bell X1 - Blue Lights On The Runway
The XX - XX
Miike Snow - Miike Snow
Hockey - Mind Chaos
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

Or, for that matter, listen to M83.

so what you're saying is because there was some music you don't like from the decade means there's been no comeback at all?

Also, this idea of 20 year cycles is just about as ridiculous as the idea of U2 making album trilogies. Claiming the eighties as a musically weak decade due to them not satisfying the criteria for some theory is just daft.

If you want to talk about bad, BAD music, the pop charts from the 70s are absolutely hilarious. Don't make me bring those out.

Back
Top Bottom